Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Ephesians 2:10 says
10 "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

I think about this verse when I think about the difference between "calling" and "vocation". Maybe I have mentioned this before, but I believe the difference is important. Vocation has to do with the specific job I am doing. Calling has to do with the purpose for which God made me and the work he wants me to do. It use to be that I was worried about missing God's will for my life because i thought it had to do with a specific job. Now, I am realizing that jobs are man made and calling is God made. As long as a job is consistent with my calling I feel free to be able to accept that job. Which in turn means that I may not be particularly loyal to a company or specific position because I don't see that as the key issue. The key issue is whether or not I am doing the works that he has called me to do as Ephesians 2:10 says.

My calling is to work with people who are broken. So, there are no shortage of jobs that fit that description. Sometimes that has meant physically broken such as a nursing home or hospital, but it always means spiritual broken and sometimes also emotionally broken

I may be wrong, but I don't particularly think God cares what office or building I do that in. As long as it is consistent with the calling. That's what I focus on.

Your thoughts?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I believe that if you have peace and a knowledge that you are in Gods will then you are right where you should be. Bless you

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wanted to add that when I was in the middle of a career change I got a book called "What am I supposed to do with my life?" by Douglas J. Brouwer. It really helped me

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Up until Luther's time a calling was only reserved for church work...then Luther said something about the priesthood of believers and started talking about godly vocations. I think that Luther was onto something since we can see how we are all called to serve God and our neighbor and there are examples in the scriptures of it.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can see using the OP’s definition of vocation and calling how our careers change over time while God’s gifts and inspiration remains constant although developing and maturing throughout our lives.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can see using the OP’s definition of vocation and calling how our careers change over time while God’s gifts and inspiration remains constant although developing and maturing throughout our lives.

I definitely think I was not ready to be a counselor in my 20's. I remember actually going to Liberty many years before I attended and considering and deciding against it. I just wasn't ready at the time

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I definitely think I was not ready to be a counselor in my 20's. I remember actually going to Liberty many years before I attended and considering and deciding against it. I just wasn't ready at the time

Right, God uses the circumstances in our lives to prune us and transform us into His image.

The thing I appreciate about Luther is his emphasis on loving our neighbor through our daily lives=calling.

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 2:10 says
10 "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

I think about this verse when I think about the difference between "calling" and "vocation". Maybe I have mentioned this before, but I believe the difference is important. Vocation has to do with the specific job I am doing. Calling has to do with the purpose for which God made me and the work he wants me to do. It use to be that I was worried about missing God's will for my life because i thought it had to do with a specific job. Now, I am realizing that jobs are man made and calling is God made. As long as a job is consistent with my calling I feel free to be able to accept that job. Which in turn means that I may not be particularly loyal to a company or specific position because I don't see that as the key issue. The key issue is whether or not I am doing the works that he has called me to do as Ephesians 2:10 says.

My calling is to work with people who are broken. So, there are no shortage of jobs that fit that description. Sometimes that has meant physically broken such as a nursing home or hospital, but it always means spiritual broken and sometimes also emotionally broken

I may be wrong, but I don't particularly think God cares what office or building I do that in. As long as it is consistent with the calling. That's what I focus on.

Your thoughts?

Jonah had a calling and he tried to avoid it but God kept on pushing at Jonah until things got done and God pushes us when we don't want to listen to what he wants to get the job done. It'll get done eventually.

Top Bottom