• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 27

    Off Topic Area - Thread: Tree Stump Removal

    1. #1
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      16,300
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      201,557
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (173,614 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      194,744
      Level
      92
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      23.48%
      Rep Power
      840

      Tree Stump Removal

      If you're too frugal to pay for someone to remove a tree stump, what's the best way to go about doing it yourself? Right now the wood is still very hard (oak) so I have to let it weather a bit before doing any remedies. I've chipped away at the sides with a hatchet but the center is too hard so I drilled some holes on the top to get the weathering process to work faster.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    2. #2
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,892
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      5,230
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,678
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      1.19%
      Rep Power
      437
      We would drill holes in it and pour salt in the holes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      If you're too frugal to pay for someone to remove a tree stump, what's the best way to go about doing it yourself? Right now the wood is still very hard (oak) so I have to let it weather a bit before doing any remedies. I've chipped away at the sides with a hatchet but the center is too hard so I drilled some holes on the top to get the weathering process to work faster.
      Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk

    3. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
    4. #3
      faramir.pete's Avatar
      faramir.pete is offline Apprentice Member
      62
      Married
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Peterborough
      Posts
      152
      Country
      UK
      CH Cash
      895
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      1,459
      Level
      12
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.59%
      Rep Power
      49
      It depends how big the root is and where it is located.

      As you mention an oak tree I assume this is not a small root.

      You can also use copper sulphate solution to kill the root system before attempting the heavy lifting and cutting work.

      If you live in a rural area you might check for a neighbour with a tractor as these are usually equipped with a winch which would be helpful to remove this beast!


      Pete from Peterborough UK

    5. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
    6. #4
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Bemused
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Elsewhere
      Posts
      6,455
      CH Cash
      3,595
      CH Challenge
      32
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,954,354 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      29,272
      Level
      46
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      41.06%
      Rep Power
      728
      Depending how big the stump and its roots are you may have few options.

      I've taken out a couple of stumps and root balls but for trees that were probably a lot smaller than your oak tree. Mine were conifers, maybe 20 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide at the base. I dug down to get at the roots, cut the roots, then the stump came out of the ground. Cutting the roots is tricky - a hatchet often doesn't work becaues they are quite springy. You'll want either a reciprocating saw and suitable blades to get behind each root and cut it (get a few spares, earth and stones aren't gentle on blades) or a hand saw that you can get behind the roots.

      Assuming you can cut the roots and lift the stump out (not necessarily a given, depending on the size) you need to get rid of it. If you or a neighbor who burns wood for fuel it could be useful, but then you'll have to cut it up into smaller pieces.

      It can be surprisingly hard work to get a stump out of the ground.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    7. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
    8. #5
      davedajobauk is offline Apprentice Member
      Widow/Widower
      retired
       
      Mood:
      Embarrassed
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      seeking Heaven
      Posts
      207
      Country
      UK
      CH Cash
      2,562
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      489
      Level
      7
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      96.71%
      Rep Power
      6
      If you are aware that the fibres are held together by 'Lignin'

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin

      http://www.ili-lignin.com/aboutlignin.php

      You will drill holes, with an auger bit
      and fill them with a 'solvent' Potassium Nitrate
      then, repeat the application about a week later
      and cover the top with a plastic sheet, securely tied to the stump
      to prevent evaporation
      then, eventually, you'll be able to tear the stump apart with your 'gloved-hands'

      As has been mentioned, it is not a 'quick [instant] solution'
      but it needn't "take years"
      AND, IT IS CHEAP
      I have cleared a 14 inch diameter 'stump'
      with @ 8 inches remaining above ground
      in a little over three months


      The roots, are an entirely different matter
      where, so-long as they are subsurface they, may be left in situ
      They are not likely to sprout up again due, to the effects of the solvent

      dave

      PS
      why not use it as a fire pit ~using barbecue fuel knubs
      this will provide a small-amount of charcoal / potash
      and provide a focal point for a pleasant evening under the stars
      (You provide supper ~from indoors)
      Last edited by davedajobauk; 06-26-2018 at 11:14 AM.
      Isaiah 40:31
      Ecclesiastes 3

    9. #6
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      16,300
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      201,557
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (173,614 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      194,744
      Level
      92
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      23.48%
      Rep Power
      840
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      We would drill holes in it and pour salt in the holes.

      Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk
      Did you do it right away or did you wait for the stump to age more? Was it rock salt?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    10. #7
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      16,300
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      201,557
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (173,614 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      194,744
      Level
      92
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      23.48%
      Rep Power
      840
      Quote Originally Posted by faramir.pete View Post
      It depends how big the root is and where it is located.

      As you mention an oak tree I assume this is not a small root.

      You can also use copper sulphate solution to kill the root system before attempting the heavy lifting and cutting work.

      If you live in a rural area you might check for a neighbour with a tractor as these are usually equipped with a winch which would be helpful to remove this beast!


      Pete from Peterborough UK
      The tree wasn't very old but it grew quickly which surprised me. It was only about 7 feet tall when we moved in 4 years ago and when we cut it down it was 25-30 feet tall!

      Do I have to wait for the copper sulphate treatment?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    11. Likes faramir.pete liked this post
    12. #8
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      16,300
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      201,557
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (173,614 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      194,744
      Level
      92
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      23.48%
      Rep Power
      840
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      Depending how big the stump and its roots are you may have few options.

      I've taken out a couple of stumps and root balls but for trees that were probably a lot smaller than your oak tree. Mine were conifers, maybe 20 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide at the base. I dug down to get at the roots, cut the roots, then the stump came out of the ground. Cutting the roots is tricky - a hatchet often doesn't work becaues they are quite springy. You'll want either a reciprocating saw and suitable blades to get behind each root and cut it (get a few spares, earth and stones aren't gentle on blades) or a hand saw that you can get behind the roots.

      Assuming you can cut the roots and lift the stump out (not necessarily a given, depending on the size) you need to get rid of it. If you or a neighbor who burns wood for fuel it could be useful, but then you'll have to cut it up into smaller pieces.

      It can be surprisingly hard work to get a stump out of the ground.
      That's a lot of work but it's brilliant to dig around and cut the roots to pull the stump out! Maybe when I'm built up more since I'm still pretty weak in the arms.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    13. #9
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      16,300
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      201,557
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (173,614 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      194,744
      Level
      92
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      23.48%
      Rep Power
      840
      Quote Originally Posted by davedajobauk View Post
      If you are aware that the fibres are held together by 'Lignin'

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin

      http://www.ili-lignin.com/aboutlignin.php

      You will drill holes, with an auger bit
      and fill them with a 'solvent' Potassium Nitrate
      then, repeat the application about a week later
      and cover the top with a plastic sheet, securely tied to the stump
      to prevent evaporation
      then, eventually, you'll be able to tear the stump apart with your 'gloved-hands'

      As has been mentioned, it is not a 'quick [instant] solution'
      but it needn't "take years"
      AND, IT IS CHEAP
      I have cleared a 14 inch diameter 'stump'
      with @ 8 inches remaining above ground
      in a little over three months


      The roots, are an entirely different matter
      where, so-long as they are subsurface they, may be left in situ
      They are not likely to sprout up again due, to the effects of the solvent

      dave

      PS
      why not use it as a fire pit ~using barbecue fuel knubs
      this will provide a small-amount of charcoal / potash
      and provide a focal point for a pleasant evening under the stars
      (You provide supper ~from indoors)
      Ah, the plastic sheeting over it is something I haven't heard of. What happens by covering it like that?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    14. #10
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Bemused
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Elsewhere
      Posts
      6,455
      CH Cash
      3,595
      CH Challenge
      32
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,954,354 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      29,272
      Level
      46
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      41.06%
      Rep Power
      728
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      That's a lot of work but it's brilliant to dig around and cut the roots to pull the stump out! Maybe when I'm built up more since I'm still pretty weak in the arms.
      Want a good way to build up your arms? Get yourself a garden trowel and start digging around the roots
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •