Restaurant refuses service to Huckabee Sanders

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
How is the Red Hen's refusal to serve Sarah Huckabee Sanders different than the cake baker who refused to make a cake for a gay wedding? Help me out because they seem like the same type of discrimination.

Why a small-town restaurant owner asked Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave – and would do it again https://www.twincities.com/201...leave-and-would-do-it-again-2/

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How is the Red Hen's refusal to serve Sarah Huckabee Sanders different than the cake baker who refused to make a cake for a gay wedding? Help me out because they seem like the same type of discrimination.

Why a small-town restaurant owner asked Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave – and would do it again https://www.twincities.com/201...leave-and-would-do-it-again-2/

The difference is she was respectful and didn't force them to serve her...she left (and then reported it to the news like the other couple).

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The difference is she was respectful and didn't force them to serve her...she left (and then reported it to the news like the other couple).

It was very rude of the owner to refuse service. I suspect that the negative publicity may harm her business. I doubt that Sara was harmed much, maybe a little peeved and a little surprised but she is a tough sort and appears to have a very resistant and resilient personality/persona.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Did Huckabee Sanders report it to the news or did employees of the restaurant put it on Facebook where others started responding. That part of the story was muddy for me regarding how others found out. Maybe I missed something.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The cake baker acted in accordance with his religious beliefs. That is not the case with the restaurant owner who may have violated a law on public accommodations as if she had expelled a customer for being of a race she did not like.

Last edited:

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The page doesn't show up for me.

My question is, what is the reason for this business owner to do that?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And why are we calling her Huckabee Sanders?

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When Sarah Sanders tweeted that she was using the official Twitter designation for Press Secretary and not her personal Twitter account
That would be considered an abuse of the Twitter account.

There appear to be conflicting accounts of what the restaurant owner said--and she herself has changed her story in order to make herself seem more polite or kindly (!)---but I had not previously heard it claimed that Sarah Sanders was evicted from the restaurant because the owner was offended over a violation of TWITTER rules.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
There appear to be conflicting accounts of what the restaurant owner said--and she herself has changed her story in order to make herself seem more polite or kindly (!)---but I had not previously heard it claimed that Sarah Sanders was evicted from the restaurant because the owner was offended over a violation of TWITTER rules.

She wasn’t told to leave because of any Twitter rules. I don’t think I said that. Sorry if I confused you.

She was asked to leave after her party had ordered She was upset and tweeted using PressSec and not SHSanders.

This tweet could get owners of Red Barn to lose business, which would not be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
She wasn’t told to leave because of any Twitter rules. I don’t think I said that. Sorry if I confused you.
No confusion here. Any Twitter violation absolutely, unequivocally, is not relevant to what was being discussed, but you did bring it up.

She was asked to leave after her party had ordered She was upset and tweeted using PressSec and not SHSanders.

In other words, that happened after the ejection and so has nothing to do with the appropriateness of the ejection or lack of same.

This tweet could get owners of Red Barn to lose business, which would not be a good thing.
If that happens it will be a wonderful outcome! For the haters, a taste of their own medicine is long overdue.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
At least she left and didn't cause a scene.
Right. That was a politically wise decision.
My question is whether the action of the owner is legal. Or did she break the law with her discrimination based on her own conflicting ideology.
For me, it seems that the cake baker and the restaurant owner expressed an ideological discrimination against a person who held an opposing view.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think it was right for her to do that but its her business so what right do I have?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Right. That was a politically wise decision.

More than that, it was noteworthy and much to be admired.

How many people being told that they are being thrown out of a restaurant and their evening ruined for no reason other than that the owner voted for a different candidate would take it with such grace as Ms. Sanders showed? Not many.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it was right for her to do that but its her business so what right do I have?
I found this claim:
Generally speaking, property owners have a right to exclude anyone from their private property for any reason. There is, however, one major limitation on this general rule: federal, state, and municipal public accommodation statutes. These statutes prohibit private property owners who operate “public accommodations” from excluding customers on certain discriminatory grounds.* For business owners, this raises two questions: (1) what qualifies as a public accommodation, and (2) who do public accommodation statutes protect?

What Qualifies as a Public Accommodation?

Under the federal public accommodation statute, a “public accommodation” is one of the following:

Hotels and other businesses providing lodging to transient guests;
Restaurants and other facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises;
Places of exhibition or entertainment; and
Establishments that are within or that purport to be a hotel, restaurant, or place of exhibition or entertainment.
See 42 USC § 2000a(b). Thus, restaurant owners should take heed—restaurants are always public accommodations and may be subjected to lawsuits for allegedly discriminatory practices.
http://www.kpmlaw.com/drawing-the-lines-on-discrimination-claims/

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

What about the baker who refused to make a cake for a gay wedding? Was it right for him to do what he did? Two-edged sword.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What about the baker who refused to make a cake for a gay wedding? Was it right for him to do what he did? Two-edged sword.

Yes they had the right to as it was their business.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we could just have a law that says a business owner is allowed to refuse service to anyone a lot of these issues would go away. The only provisos I would seek are that refusals need to be done at a business level and not at an employee level (e.g. if you work for Wal-Mart you follow Wal-Mart policies even if you disagree with them) and should be clearly posted so that they can be seen before someone enters the premises.

In this day and age the thought of trial by social media would most likely see the majority of businesses falling over themselves to be ever-more inclusive but if a particular business wants to exclude certain types of clientele or business they should be free to do so. In theory you could see a business demanding "No blacks, no Jews, no Irish" or some such but the market would probably do a good job of putting them out of business.

Top Bottom