Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Hope you have fun Lamm!

It was nice but not a lot of neighbors showed up.

There was a high school girl who asked me if I was a substitute teacher because I look like one of hers at her school. I laughed and said I used to be a sub in Indiana but not here. I guess I still look like a sub!

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Watching the Houston vs Dallas football game

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Trying to be me.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Fun With Foam.

Well, kind of. Cellulose insulation doesn't begin with F but does look a little bit like foam. Today's task was lifting a load of it from the space over our bedroom. I need to replace the insulation with a more uniform layer. It's slightly frustrating because 9 inches of cellulose has a comparable R-value to the 9 inches of fiberglass I'm going to replace it with, but I need a uniform layer that I don't currently have, and I need to replace the wiring in the space as well.

Today I lifted and bagged up somewhere between 250-300 gallons of the stuff. For the most part I can scoop it out with a doodad I cobbled together from a piece of metal roofing, and when it gets to the corners and the scraps I roll out the cobbled together separator I made out of a garbage can. It's not the best but for the most part it works. It could really use a much wider hose but that stuff is unpleasantly expensive.

For good measure I found a couple of wires I wasn't expecting. It looks like our bedroom once had a proper light fitting that was removed when ceiling tiles were fitted. But instead of doing things properly, whoever did that job just cut the wires off. So that means I had live wires left floating around in the insulation. Tomorrow's job will include cutting the power so I can cut off the cables that once went to a light fitting, and tape up the part I cut. That whole section is knob-and-tube so sooner or later it's all coming out, it's just a matter of when. Hopefully sooner rather than later, I just need to figure out how to do it all in a sequence that doesn't leave me without lighting upstairs for any length of time.

Later this week I'm going to borrow my friend's truck for a monster trip to the landfill. I have 24 bags of rubble, 10 garbage bags of cellulose insulation, a pile of laths, a pile of lumps of drywall, a box full of what are essentially giant wooden splinters, a box of old roofing and a box of wooden scraps. And my wife's car that I'd normally use is in the garage. It's looking likely that it's time to replace it. If we can get it going again for a reasonable price I'll keep it as a beater so I can still haul stuff around, and take all the seats out except the driver's seat.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
On CH and also wishing this headache would go away, probably not best to be on the computer then. :lol:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
pray you are doing better

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
On CH and also wishing this headache would go away, probably not best to be on the computer then. :lol:

Yeah bright lights won't help from the computer screen! Hope you feel well soon.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Bright computer lights in an otherwise dark room seems like a really bad combination for me. If the room is sufficiently well lit the backlights from a screen aren't so bad.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Contemplating what fun to enjoy today. I can either lift some more cellulose insulation (hideous stuff) or I think there's still a bit of ceiling that I can pull down. Can't say I'm thrilled about either right now but they have to be done sooner or later. At least laying fiberglass once the cellulose is lifted is an easy job. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday I'll borrow my friend's truck and haul my mountain of garbage off to the landfill.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well I got another two bags of cellulose lifted. I'm getting to the point where there's less and less in the area and I'm having to work around cables (some of them old cables, that I try not to disturb too much). Then I stopped so I could be cleaned up for when our friends arrived, and after I'd showered I found out our friends weren't able to make it after all.

Ho hum...

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I just made pancakes. My husband has an appointment later and is home for the day.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I just took my son to a job fair. About ten employers were there. He gave out his resume and talked to some people and got a lot of information. I am hoping that a door of opportunity will open for him.

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Just got back from lunch and running some errands.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Busy morning. Went to collect my friend's truck, then loaded it up with all the garbage for the landfill. It turned out to be most of the garbage because I couldn't get it all on without feeling like it was loaded too precariously. With the benefit of hindsight I could probably have taken it all, had I figured a better way to tie the tarpaulin down over the top of it all, but what's left isn't a big problem.

It turned out I hauled 820lb of trash this time. So having loaded it up and then unloaded it that means I moved 3/4 of a ton of garbage. Then I went to the hardware store and bought some boards to bring home. Now the boards are sitting in my living room, all 600-odd pounds weight of them. I need to get them up two flights of stairs into the attic but my muscles just need a break. I'm not 25 any more.

Once I'm cleaned up I'm heading into town to look at a car for my wife. There are a couple she's interested in, and then we can decide whether one of them is right for us.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I got my boards hauled up in to the attic. Each one is 8 feet by 2 feet and weighs about 32 pounds. There were 20 of them. I had to take a break after 10 because my shoulders were aching. Now they are all up in the attic and I can forget about them for a while. The next time they move they will be put into place and screwed down.

The car we looked at yesterday was nice but not nice enough to buy it. So we went back to the first dealer and talked numbers, and got him down to a number I liked. He started a little over what book value says is a normal listing price, and we finished a little under what book value says is a fair price. It's a certified used car with nearly new tires and nearly new brakes, so I think we did pretty well. And my wife loves it.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Readying to head to Florida in the morning for my nephew's wedding.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I finished tonight reading "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck. It took me a little over a month to read it

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Watching King of Queens and trying to decide when to go to sleep. I was tired earlier and then wide awake now.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom