• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Christian Theology - Thread: This generation ...

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.14%

This generation ...

Jesus said Matthew 24:32 And from the fig tree learn a parable: When the branch thereof is now tender, and the leaves come forth, you know that summer is nigh. 33 So you also, when you shall see all these things, know ye that it is nigh, even at the doors. 34 Amen I say to you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. 35 Heaven and earth shall pass, but my words shall not pass.

To which generation do you think the Lord referred? Was it the generation to whom he spoke? Our own generation? Some other generation either past or future? And how long does a generation last?

PS: I remember once, a long time ago, seeing this diagram in a little blue book from the Watchtower It made me wonder what people think about Jesus' words.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

DHoffmann is online now Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.01%
      Since the start of the Church as we read in Acts it begins the last days. We are just approaching or getting closer to the end times although thats always been the case...
      The promise continues for generations to come, so perhaps he is speaking to the readers generation or generations in general in a singular since.

psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,300,425 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      69.8%
      I have always associated that with Israel and our generation.
      Isaiah 40:31

4. Likes RichWh1 liked this post

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.14%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      I have always associated that with Israel and our generation.
      Do you think that your grandparents thought it was about their generation, after all Hitler was in power in Germany, Mussolini in Italy, and Tojo in Japan, a very terrible war was brewing when they were having their children. They had a lot of evidence to make them think it was their generation if they were inclined to think about end times generations.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,300,425 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      69.8%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Do you think that your grandparents thought it was about their generation, after all Hitler was in power in Germany, Mussolini in Italy, and Tojo in Japan, a very terrible war was brewing when they were having their children. They had a lot of evidence to make them think it was their generation if they were inclined to think about end times generations.
      Dont know but I do know that Israel was not a nation at the time and that had to have happened as well

7. Likes RichWh1 liked this post

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.14%
      Dont know but I do know that Israel was not a nation at the time and that had to have happened as well
      That happened n 1948, probably your parent's generation, but here we are and for the most part that generation is gone. If it is the "this generation" then time is running out very very fast.

Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,300,425 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      69.8%
      Is it? I was born in 1948

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.14%
      Is it? I was born in 1948
      Then you would not remember much of what happened in that year, since you were zero years old then.

MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      56.87%
      The generation is the elect of God whom God is choosing from every tribe and tongue. When all whom God chose from before the foundation of the world have been redeemed, the generation will come to an end.
      21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
      Last edited by MennoSota; 06-20-2018 at 04:44 PM.

12. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      atpollard is offline Prodigy Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Sad

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (10,500 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      18.13%
      The more I read scripture instead of commentaries, the more I lean towards Amillenialism. Jesus was speaking of that generation and the great tribulation happened in 70 AD when Jerusalem and everything related to the Old Covenant was ruthlessly destroyed. We are living in the period of Jesus sitting on his throne and the Kingdom of God spreading and triumphing over Satan.