Chris Pratt - MTV Award speech: Courageous?

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
==============================================================================================

MennoSota (Post #38):
I confess...I touched the wood in hopes of improving my writing skillls.

Lämmchen (Post #39):
I would have touched them too!

I wooden have. I’m prone to splinters.

==============================================================================================

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

MennoSota (Post #38):

Lämmchen (Post #39):

I wooden have. I’m prone to splinters.

This is why you always carry a set of zircon encrusted tweezers... (reference to Frank Zappa and his song entitled: Montana)

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
This is why you always carry a set of zircon encrusted tweezers... (reference to Frank Zappa and his song entitled: Montana)

You listen to Zappa??? :scared: :faint:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
You listen to Zappa??? :scared: :faint:
Grace??? [emoji56]

Zappa was a jazz fusion genius. A person does not have to agree with all the lyrics of a poem to appreciate the artist.
You might be shocked to know what other artists I enjoy. I consider the Paranoid album by Black Sabbath to be an epic anti-cold war/Vietnam war album. Warren Zevon's "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" is a wonderful observation of the human condition.
I could go on...but yes...I listen to Zappa.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Zappa was so amazing. There was a video I'd seen of him jamming with John Lennon and Yoko Ono that just blew me away. I have to say that's the only time I ever understood Yoko Ono's "art". It ended with John Lennon eliciting this wall of feedback from the amps for minutes on end. Amazing

And I'm sure I need much more grace for some of the things I listen to ;)

Last edited:

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MennoSota (Post #42):

Only ordinary tweezers, I’m afraid. And they’re looking a bit worse for wear. I can’t afford the zircon encrusted ones. Not even the cheaper honey zircon or the red zircon. I just have to make do.

I notice that the Dental Floss Growers Association of Montana only has a minuscule number of likes on Facebook, so I guess the dental floss growing industry didn’t take off there. It must have been the non-conducive climate. I’ve heard that dental floss grows best in the plains states. I’m not sure which state is best.

But I do know which American state produces the most dentures.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Me (Post #46):
But I do know which American state produces the most dentures.

Massa-chew-sets!

(While not claiming to be the only person to ever have thought of that, it is an original thought.

It is one of a number of questions I dreamed up as part of a ‘cryptic questions’ segment for a young people’s evening (15-25) at the fellowship to which I belonged at the time.

I had never seen or heard it before, and I have never seen or heard it since.

But I did crack that joke a few years ago in an international Skype Bible study I was taking part in, as it related to something someone else said about a state in the USA.)

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MennoSota (Post #11):
What's your point?

That was in response to my pointing out that Chris Pratt’s reported statement that God made people imperfect (You are imperfect. You always will be. But, there is a powerful force that designed you that way.) was totally unscriptural. (Genesis 1:27)

What was my point?

Simply that Christianity as it now exists, reveals itself in a number of ways to be nothing more than a human-based religion that competes with other human-based religions for credibility and adherents.

In this case, we have an example of the straws at which the Christian Religion will clutch, both in its own defence, and in its expansionist activities – straws which are welcomed and employed with gusto by that religion, even when those straws actually demean God.

And amazingly enough, those organisations and individuals within that religion that propose that the “saved” have been irrevocably preselected, no matter what, are among the main proponents of the expansion of that religion, no matter what.

(In this case, the fact that a celebrity has come out in support of that Religion has been lauded, even though his actual words demean the Wonderful God of Creation and Salvation.)

That was my point.

I suggest that it might be a wise move, were priorities to be reexamined, and brought into line with those of the Apostles.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

MennoSota (Post #11):

That was in response to my pointing out that Chris Pratt’s reported statement that God made people imperfect (You are imperfect. You always will be. But, there is a powerful force that designed you that way.) was totally unscriptural. (Genesis 1:27)

What was my point?

Simply that Christianity as it now exists, reveals itself in a number of ways to be nothing more than a human-based religion that competes with other human-based religions for credibility and adherents.

In this case, we have an example of the straws at which the Christian Religion will clutch, both in its own defence, and in its expansionist activities – straws which are welcomed and employed with gusto by that religion, even when those straws actually demean God.

And amazingly enough, those organisations and individuals within that religion that propose that the “saved” have been irrevocably preselected, no matter what, are among the main proponents of the expansion of that religion, no matter what.

(In this case, the fact that a celebrity has come out in support of that Religion has been lauded, even though his actual words demean the Wonderful God of Creation and Salvation.)

That was my point.

I suggest that it might be a wise move, were priorities to be reexamined, and brought into line with those of the Apostles.

So...you're not a Christian?

JPPT1974

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Well the speech was daring. And really he stole the show. In the Youtube videos I see since I quit watching MTV and have not watched the network except on very, very rare occasions and that has been ages. And really in the Wikipedia thing it says he is a non-denominational Christian.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well the speech was daring. And really he stole the show. In the Youtube videos I see since I quit watching MTV and have not watched the network except on very, very rare occasions and that has been ages. And really in the Wikipedia thing it says he is a non-denominational Christian.

I agree it was daring. It's not too often a celebrity will speak out declaring some form of faith besides being "spiritual".

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MennoSota (Post #49):

That question was asked in response to my pointing out that the Christian Religion indulges in unholy compromise, to promote itself and to bolster its worldly expansionist activities. And it was also in response to my stating: “I suggest that it might be a wise move, were priorities to be reexamined, and brought into line with those of the Apostles.” (See Post #48.)

I would like to point out three things to Readers.

1. Integrity

Readers will remember (except for welcome newcomers) that I am constantly involved in:
- Defending God’s Holy Word (the Bible) against wresting (the twisting of it and making it say something other than what it actually does say);
- Promoting the reading of the Bible without denominational filters, to discover wonders that have been masked;
- Requesting that scriptures that are said to exist in support of post-Nicene doctrines, be tabled;
--- For example “the forest of verses” elsewhere claimed to exist by MennoSota, in support of one particular doctrine;
- Encouraging Readers to determine what the original Apostolic Gospel was, and thus cut through the distortions of denominationalism.

I leave it to Readers to judge the integrity of that question.

2. Deflection

Readers have been warned in the past to be on the lookout for techniques that attempt to draw attention away from, or to diminish the importance and impact of, disquieting statements and ideas, where the truth of them is difficult to challenge.

When Readers detect techniques like that, they will know with surety that the person or persons issuing the deflections can find no other adequate defence. That lack of honest defence is highlighted. And the truth of what they are attacking is actually reinforced.

3. Baiting

Another clever defensive technique is baiting. When all else fails, attack the opponent with offensive comments (sometimes disguised as questions). Keep baiting until a response is triggered. Then concentrate on that “unreasonable” response, and use it as an excuse for censure and for disregarding the otherwise incontrovertible evidence supplied by the person that was baited.

Readers be aware, and understand that baiting, too, is used only when there is no other defence to unwelcome ideas.

(Readers may also have noted that baiting doesn’t work with me. It simply returns to bite the baiter on the buttocks.)

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

MennoSota (Post #49):

That question was asked in response to my pointing out that the Christian Religion indulges in unholy compromise, to promote itself and to bolster its worldly expansionist activities.

Which Christian religion, specifically?

Are you not a Christian?

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MennoSota (Post #49): So...you're not a Christian?

Me (Post #52): That question was asked in response to my pointing out that the Christian Religion indulges in unholy compromise, to promote itself and to bolster its worldly expansionist activities

MennoSota (Post #53): Which Christian religion, specifically?

I must be out of touch. I thought there was only one Christian religion – a conglomeration of formal and informal organisations and independent groups, all having the one aim – self-expansion.

The combined result of those aims is an organism that has a self-expansionist life of its own – an expansionism that the component parts of that organism see as individually protective, and thus combine in support of that expansion.

But the component parts cannot agree on what God clearly revealed as His Truth in the Holy Bible. They cannot even agree on the fundamental process or processes involved in an individual’s receiving the salvation that Jesus’ death provides.

They thus reveal themselves to be man-made. (With the possible exception of only one.)

MennoSota (Post #53): Are you not a Christian?

I simply refer Readers to Post #52, where I listed valid reasons for questioning the integrity of the initial quote at the top of this Post. The author of Post #53 has acknowledged that he has read those reasons.

However, the direct answer to that latest question is: “Yes, I am (as is obvious), but one whose primary loyalty might be seen as unusually placed. (I.e. bypassing denominationalism and post-Nicene doctrines.)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

MennoSota (Post #49): So...you're not a Christian?

Me (Post #52): That question was asked in response to my pointing out that the Christian Religion indulges in unholy compromise, to promote itself and to bolster its worldly expansionist activities

MennoSota (Post #53): Which Christian religion, specifically?

I must be out of touch. I thought there was only one Christian religion – a conglomeration of formal and informal organisations and independent groups, all having the one aim – self-expansion.

The combined result of those aims is an organism that has a self-expansionist life of its own – an expansionism that the component parts of that organism see as individually protective, and thus combine in support of that expansion.

But the component parts cannot agree on what God clearly revealed as His Truth in the Holy Bible. They cannot even agree on the fundamental process or processes involved in an individual’s receiving the salvation that Jesus’ death provides.

They thus reveal themselves to be man-made. (With the possible exception of only one.)

MennoSota (Post #53): Are you not a Christian?

I simply refer Readers to Post #52, where I listed valid reasons for questioning the integrity of the initial quote at the top of this Post. The author of Post #53 has acknowledged that he has read those reasons.

However, the direct answer to that latest question is: “Yes, I am (as is obvious), but one whose primary loyalty might be seen as unusually placed. (I.e. bypassing denominationalism and post-Nicene doctrines.)

Is this your profile picture?
1d66ae2d61bc02675e496ee5198dafc1.jpg

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MennoSota (Post #55): Is this your profile picture?
Lone Ranger.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180819/1d66ae2d61bc02675e496ee5198dafc1.jpg

Unfortunately, I’m not that handsome. (The mask might help.)

And we’re not allowed to carry cool-looking hand guns in Australia.

But I have to take my white hat off to MennoSota for the encouraging suggestion.

That’s the mane thing.

(I’d better stop horsing around, now.)

Top Bottom