It's abhorrent.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Still doesnt make it right and the immigration bill that is being considered in Congress addresses that very issue, thankfully. To me there is a big difference between murder and rape and just simply walking across a border seeking a better life.
Yes, when looking at a crime such as crossing the boarder illegally one may want to look at the degree and type of crime. Wanting a better life and doing it the wrong way but not committing any other crime can be viewed as a very minor offense and steps should be taken to make them legal with their kids with them. I don't believe in seperating a parent and child because they walked or ran, lol, across a boarder.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are you in favor of housing the parents with their children, then? This is the obvious solution...unless cost is a consideration (which it always is when the project is something the liberals want to waste money on, but only then).

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Rapists and murderers? Really? All sorts of lesser crimes carry prison time that separates parents from children.

Yes, "not sending their best" .... "they're bring drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists" ...

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When ever I take a position particularly on very serious matters I always invision defending it to the Lord face to face bc in all actuality we are.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Separating any family for any reason ( except abuse) is utterly and completely abhorrent.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do think that in some cases children should be separated from their parents for their own welfare. Not all parents are responsible people, and especially not those who think that committing a crime is okay.
The whole problem with this argument is that I would venture that most if not all did not cross the border just to break a law, I think most came to escape the conditions in their own country, violence, poverty, seeking a better way of life and willing to work for it.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One thing that people do not know--or else are overlooking--is that these children are not in prison. The are in school most of the day learning things that they will need in order to succeed in a new country, plus such things as how to use a flush toilet (seriously). And they have field trips. Even a prom. This is NOT a penal institution.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, when looking at a crime such as crossing the boarder illegally one may want to look at the degree and type of crime. Wanting a better life and doing it the wrong way but not committing any other crime can be viewed as a very minor offense and steps should be taken to make them legal with their kids with them. I don't believe in seperating a parent and child because they walked or ran, lol, across a boarder.

If you do that you merely reward people who break the rules. The fact someone decides they want to live somewhere doesn't mean they have the right to live there. You can't fault someone for wanting a better life - we all want the best life we can have - but breaking the rules isn't something that should be rewarded.

There may be a case for making it easier for would-be migrants to become lawful migrants but simply saying that anyone can cross the border and take advantage of a special program for people who try break the rules is silly.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It is also not with their parents

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps we should do as the British did and just put them all on a boat and send them to Australia. What say you, MC? [emoji57][emoji41]

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, I know and former President Obama received a great deal of criticism for it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-deported-more-people/

Do you think that separating children from their parents is justified?

If a crime warrants a custodial sentence nobody bats an eyelid about children being separated. And then there's the whole issue with CPS getting heavy-handed but that doesn't generate the same level of whining that happens when an illegal immigrant faces a problem.

Here's the deal. It's pretty simple really. Cross the border illegally and get locked up. That's how it works. If you don't want to take your chances, don't cross the border illegally. It's not difficult.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The whole problem with this argument is that I would venture that most if not all did not cross the border just to break a law, I think most came to escape the conditions in their own country, violence, poverty, seeking a better way of life and willing to work for it.

So why would they start their life in a new land unlawfully? You've also grouped a whole lot of people together there - if someone is fleeing violence they can request asylum. If they want a better way of life they can take a ticket and join the line. If the belief is that the conditions are too arduous, change the conditions rather than merely acting as if some have to jump through the hoops and others can take shortcuts.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
If you do that you merely reward people who break the rules. The fact someone decides they want to live somewhere doesn't mean they have the right to live there. You can't fault someone for wanting a better life - we all want the best life we can have - but breaking the rules isn't something that should be rewarded.

There may be a case for making it easier for would-be migrants to become lawful migrants but simply saying that anyone can cross the border and take advantage of a special program for people who try break the rules is silly.
You may judge it as silly but I don't. I don't think they should be punished and giving them shelter, jobs, etc. are basic necessities and not "rewards."

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
If a crime warrants a custodial sentence nobody bats an eyelid about children being separated. And then there's the whole issue with CPS getting heavy-handed but that doesn't generate the same level of whining that happens when an illegal immigrant faces a problem.

Here's the deal. It's pretty simple really. Cross the border illegally and get locked up. That's how it works. If you don't want to take your chances, don't cross the border illegally. It's not difficult.
Excuse me but that is stupid. Our country should be accessible to new immigrants like it used to be when the Pilgrims came here.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So why would they start their life in a new land unlawfully? You've also grouped a whole lot of people together there - if someone is fleeing violence they can request asylum. If they want a better way of life they can take a ticket and join the line. If the belief is that the conditions are too arduous, change the conditions rather than merely acting as if some have to jump through the hoops and others can take shortcuts.
OK you are saying that if you had kids and they were hungry and you knew there were good paying jjobs over the border that no american would fill and you could get them you wouldnt do it? Let me ask you how much the cities have changed since the murder rate soared and drugs are rampant? Not much so I guess they need to escape except that most cant so how is that different than the drug lords and violence that goes on right across the border? I know that this doesnt excuse it but it sure does explain why so many are willing to risk it and taking their kids will not change things it just makes us heartless and cruel.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
OK you are saying that if you had kids and they were hungry and you knew there were good paying jjobs over the border that no american would fill and you could get them you wouldnt do it?

If I may answer, no, I probably would not--because I might get caught and suffer some consequences, because I do respect the laws, and because I would hope to be smart enough to find out the real situation, not just the rosy promises that the people who want to be paid to sneak others (including me) into the promised land fill our heads with.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Excuse me but that is stupid. Our country should be accessible to new immigrants like it used to be when the Pilgrims came here.

Ask the Native Americans how that worked out for them...

They have been fighting against immigration since 1492...

A flea cannot swallow a camel...

The US cannot swallow the immigration world...

They need to give their own countries freedom...

We should help them...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Are you in favor of housing the parents with their children, then? This is the obvious solution...unless cost is a consideration (which it always is when the project is something the liberals want to waste money on, but only then).

I would go with this, and with expedited adjudication and deportation...

Arsenios

Top Bottom