Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Hi and welcome to CH. I think most people on this site are from CF..lol

Yep, it appears that the majority are from CF but I have friends here from another board I used to be on 20 years ago and I have family members here too.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Since I post a lot in Christian Theology about theology.... I thought it appropriate to indicate my training (as it is)....

LUTHERAN.

+ I was Confirmed as an adult, in a 12 week program. The curriculum was written by our pastor and used Luther's Small Catechism and select things from the Book of Concord (which he printed out)

+ I purchased and carefully studied, "Christian Dogmatics" by F. Pieper (the doctrine set used at both LCMS seminaries to train pastors). The 3 vol. set together is about 1500 pages and were written in the 1950's. This took me a couple of years a a goodly number of meetings with my pastor.

+ I completed a course in my Deacon training program in Lutheran Theology. Our textbook was "Called to Believe, Teach and Confess" by Dr. Steven P. Mueller (about 500 pages); this book is used at a lot of our Concordia University campuses as the basic theology textbook. I reference this more than any other.

Other books that have influenced and taught me:

+ "The Spirituality of the Cross" by Gene Edward Veith This book has strongly influenced me regarding the Lutheran perspective.

+ Seven Christian Rules that Every Christian Ought to Break As Often As Possible" by Jonathan Fisk. I'm kind of a fan of Pastor Fisk...

+ "Being Lutheran" by A. Trevor Sutton This was a Bible Study done at my parish, led by the pastor. It impacted me.

Many others, but those are the ones that influence my "theology" and understanding more than any other....

CATHOLIC

I was always (even as a kid) enormously (and zealously) curious. Theologically, the most influential were the parents of my very best friend, Marc, who were leaders in our parish's RCIA class and she in the First Communion classes; both lifelong Catholics and both the products of Catholic schools (both through college and he even through law school), she had been a parish school teacher (middle school). A LOT of conversations with them....

+ "Catechism of the Catholic Church" (1994 edition). About 750 pages. I have LIVED with this book for longer than I can remember and carefully studied and thought about all 2,865 doctrinal statements in it.

+ " The Handbook of the Catholic Faith" About 500 pages. I was given this book (I don't recall when or why whom) in hopes it would quiet this very curious (but nice) Catholic boy with endless questions.... I practically memorized it. Much of what I think of as "Catholic" is a result of this book. I have lived with this paperback so much it has literally fallen apart.

I've had a LOT of conversations on the 'net with Catholic apologists. The most influential were with a Catholic at CF (the husband of D'Ann there, many of you know her) whose insights continue to influence my understandings. Of course, I've have countless conversations with Catholic family members too, although they are mostly untrained (and disinterested) in theology and teachings.

I rarely venture much into other theologies... and when I do, it's mostly from information gleened from the above and from what I've learned in conversations on the internet at forums similar to CH. I spent over a year DEEPLY involved in a blog that was a discussion between LDS and RCC apologists but these days, I rarely get into LDS stuff.

I hope that gives some insight.

- Josiah

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

bbas 64

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Josiah, and Littlelamby...... it feels like home!:cheer:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Wow, I get to witness the hatching of Josiah :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I tend to be a follower of Dr. Jordan B. Cooper's site, www.Just&Sinner.org

And Gospel Simplicity www.youtube.com/c/GospelSimplicity

And Bryan Wolfmueller's site

This video is 50 minutes long but I've watched it many times...

Top Bottom