Why isn’t the Holy Spirit mentioned much?

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
One thing I’ve noticed in Evangelical churches is the lack of the mentioning of the Holy Spirit as much as the Father or the Son. This thought is brought on since a Bible someone I know criticized Eastern Orthodoxy for focusing more on the Holy Spirit than Jesus which doesn’t make sense because the Holy Trinity is 3 in one.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
One thing I’ve noticed in Evangelical churches is the lack of the mentioning of the Holy Spirit as much as the Father or the Son. This thought is brought on since a Bible someone I know criticized Eastern Orthodoxy for focusing more on the Holy Spirit than Jesus which doesn’t make sense because the Holy Trinity is 3 in one.

The Holy Spirit is what revels the message of the Word to the believer. Any man who does not have the Holy Spirit obviously won't preach about it because they have not the Spirit that Jesus gave up to us on the cross which came down on believers at Pentecost .
It was after Pentecost that the apostles filled with the Spirit could present the Gospel in perfect righteousness.
But why focus on a certain person of the Trinity while criticizing others for doing the same???
I hear all three when I think GOD, the Holy Spirit gives me Spirit and strength, Jesus is my teacher, mediator and savior who died as a mortal as well as God (same Spirit, they are one) - for our sin and gave man the Spirit, The Father offers us Salvation through the Son and offers the Forgiveness and his Spirit and Promise and Everlasting life, they are all God
3 persons in Unity

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I also think that many chuchs are a little afraid of the Holy Spirit in their midst. You know speaking in toungues and all the other manifestations that can and will take place.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I also think that many chuchs are a little afraid of the Holy Spirit in their midst. You know speaking in toungues and all the other manifestations that can and will take place.

When I joined the Catholic Church one of the things that was especially noticeable to me was the natural and easy as well as reverent invocation of the Holy Spirit when events that might seem ordinary but were in fact quite remarkable happened. I had been an atheist for a number of years after leaving a conservative Presbyterian denomination - I did not and do not blame the change to atheism on that Presbyterian denomination - and when I approached my parish about becoming a Catholic it seems like a very ordinary event to me but not so for the nun who replied to my email nor to the catechists who spend nearly a year discussing holy scripture and Catholic practise with me, for these good people it was a work of the Holy Spirit who was happily praised for his grace and goodness to them and to me. That was something I noticed all through that first year prior to my confirmation and still notice today - after many years of Catholic Christian faith.

For me people speaking in tongues and so forth is okay but somehow the reverent ordinary and happy invocation of the Holy Spirit in day to day events and conversations is eloquent testimony to The Spirit's presence in the Church.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
LOL, afraid of the Holy Spirit...because tongues...

The primary work of the Holy Spirit is to illuminate God's word and be our counselor.
Another role of the Spirit is to pray for us.
People seem to hone in on the miraculous manifestations of tongues and healing, in my opinion, because they want to live by sight and not by faith. They can pat themselves on the back and declare what godly people they are because they babble in unknown jibber-jabber and feel good about themselves afterward. No need for faith when you can prove your position with a couple well placed babbles in the midst of the local babble group. It's the same with healings. None of the charlatans go to a hospital and heal. They call a big meeting and make a big show out of it. That's not the Holy Spirit, that hell masquerading as heaven.
Jonathan Edwards, a man used of God to start the Great Awakening, wrote a wonderful book titled Religious Affections that is a masterpiece on the work of the Holy Spirit. All Christians should read it.
Here's a summary of the 12 points Edwards makes.
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/...ous-affections-12-no-signs-and-12-true-signs/

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We also should not dismiss it either, healings are real, toungues are real. It is a shame that so many dismiss the work of the Holy Spirit. It is an even bigger shame that most are not led by the spirit either, in this world today most are to busy to even hear it let alone be led by it. As for healings it is amazing to me that so many poo poo the idea of healings for today. I truly pray that my faith faileth not especially in these areas as there are so many naysayers

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We also should not dismiss it either, healings are real, toungues are real. It is a shame that so many dismiss the work of the Holy Spirit. It is an even bigger shame that most are not led by the spirit either, in this world today most are to busy to even hear it let alone be led by it. As for healings it is amazing to me that so many poo poo the idea of healings for today. I truly pray that my faith faileth not especially in these areas as there are so many naysayers

The trouble is that although tongues and other gifts are real there's an awful lot of garbage going on under the pretense of being a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Just look at the kind of garage presented by some so-called prophets and how they either fail time after time after time, or they are so vague that just about anything could be considered a "hit". Then see the kind of churches that insist the only valid demonstration of having the Spirit (and, in some cases, the only valid evidence of salvation) is speaking in tongues and how that puts pressure on people who don't have that gift to fake it.

It's the whole issue that "tongues are real" doesn't inherently mean "every utterance I don't understand is a moving of the Spirit".

On the subject of healings, if it were as simple as "it's always God's will to heal" then there should be no more sickness. The likes of Bill Johnson who peddle that stuff could put the medical industry out of business overnight if there were any truth in it. It's back to the situation where the argument "God always heals" is disproven by a single case where God did not heal, and the argument "God never heals" is disproven by a single case where he did. The stance "God sometimes heals" sits between the two stances.

An analogy I really like starts from the concept that the Holy Spirit points to Jesus and then looks at the kind of floodlights that illuminate a monument at night. Nobody pays attention to the floodlights, their sole purpose is to draw attention to the monument. To look at the floodlights is to miss the point. The floodlights are like the Holy Spirit, the monument is like Jesus. It seems a lot of people either expect the floodlights to be turned off and then wonder why people don't see the monument, or they spend so much time looking at the floodlights they lose focus on the monument.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The trouble is that although tongues and other gifts are real there's an awful lot of garbage going on under the pretense of being a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Just look at the kind of garage presented by some so-called prophets and how they either fail time after time after time, or they are so vague that just about anything could be considered a "hit". Then see the kind of churches that insist the only valid demonstration of having the Spirit (and, in some cases, the only valid evidence of salvation) is speaking in tongues and how that puts pressure on people who don't have that gift to fake it.

It's the whole issue that "tongues are real" doesn't inherently mean "every utterance I don't understand is a moving of the Spirit".

On the subject of healings, if it were as simple as "it's always God's will to heal" then there should be no more sickness. The likes of Bill Johnson who peddle that stuff could put the medical industry out of business overnight if there were any truth in it. It's back to the situation where the argument "God always heals" is disproven by a single case where God did not heal, and the argument "God never heals" is disproven by a single case where he did. The stance "God sometimes heals" sits between the two stances.

An analogy I really like starts from the concept that the Holy Spirit points to Jesus and then looks at the kind of floodlights that illuminate a monument at night. Nobody pays attention to the floodlights, their sole purpose is to draw attention to the monument. To look at the floodlights is to miss the point. The floodlights are like the Holy Spirit, the monument is like Jesus. It seems a lot of people either expect the floodlights to be turned off and then wonder why people don't see the monument, or they spend so much time looking at the floodlights they lose focus on the monument.
We are back to the Holy Spirit, if you can hear Him He will guide you into truth and let you know what is fake, again this is part of why people dismiss it, because they cant tell the difference, and as for those faking it, God is a big boy and I think He will deal with them if they are doing that.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We are back to the Holy Spirit, if you can hear Him He will guide you into truth and let you know what is fake, again this is part of why people dismiss it, because they cant tell the difference, and as for those faking it, God is a big boy and I think He will deal with them if they are doing that.
God doesnt always heal anymore than He always saves, so is that the fault of God? No! It is man that messes it up

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

No one disputes that God heals. No one should deny the elders from anointing with oil and praying for healing (James 5).
No one should go to a charlatan at a church who claims s/he has the gift of healing. If God were healing through them, they would be in hospitals everyday doing the work, not in churches, hustling for money.
The idea that most are not lead by the Spirit is not measurable. It's your opinion. I take it as such.
Galatians 6 calls us to walk in step with the Spirit. I take that to mean we should live in the now rather than in the past or dreaming about the future. We walk by people every day and miss what the Spirit is doing because we are not living in the present with God.
Why would a person look for selfish gifts that give attention to the person? Paul has two letters of rebuke to the Church at Corinth for their bad behavior. Why would anyone want to emulate them?
Again, I suggest people read Edwards book, Religious Affections. It will force you to ponder what the Bible teaches about the work of the Holy Spirit.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
This is what I mean by the Holy Spirit as illuminator. The Spirit guides you to read and understand God’s word in the Bible. That is where you "hear" Him.
Emotions a fickle and untrustworthy. Rarely does the Spirit speak in and through emotions. God is not one who participates in confusion. Most churches promoting tongues are filled with dysfunctional confusion, which points toward something other than the Holy Spirit being in their midst.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Cessationism and fear of appearing Charismatic or Pentecostal.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This is what I mean by the Holy Spirit as illuminator. The Spirit guides you to read and understand God’s word in the Bible. That is where you "hear" Him.
Emotions a fickle and untrustworthy. Rarely does the Spirit speak in and through emotions. God is not one who participates in confusion. Most churches promoting tongues are filled with dysfunctional confusion, which points toward something other than the Holy Spirit being in their midst.
Another way of not letting the Holy Spirit guide you and tell you. Bottom line is that the the Spirit should be allowed to operate freely in a service but most dont

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another way of not letting the Holy Spirit guide you and tell you. Bottom line is that the the Spirit should be allowed to operate freely in a service but most dont

Do you think the Holy Spirit can be held back from what He wants to do then?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the Holy Spirit can be held back from what He wants to do then?
Absolutely, He is a gentleman and will never force someone to do anything they do not agree to. There are times that a word is given someone and they dont speak out because they are afraid it is only them and not the Spirit, why we need to spend quiet time alone and get to know the voice of the spirit. We can quench the Holy Spirit for sure.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Absolutely, He is a gentleman and will never force someone to do anything they do not agree to. There are times that a word is given someone and they dont speak out because they are afraid it is only them and not the Spirit, why we need to spend quiet time alone and get to know the voice of the spirit. We can quench the Holy Spirit for sure.

Thy will be done. He's still God. Do you think His will isn't done then?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Thy will be done. He's still God. Do you think His will isn't done then?
His will will be done if not then then later or by someone else. We need to quit being afraid of the Spirit and start learning to trust Him and to know His leading rather than trying to quench the Spirit. To see God move or to be used of the Spirit is truly awesome and nothing to be feared.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The Spirit will guide us into truth. What makes it difficult is the clamor of other things that guide us away, and the number of people who think "it doesn't cause a check in my spirit" is a useful substitute for Scriptural discernment.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
His will will be done if not then then later or by someone else. We need to quit being afraid of the Spirit and start learning to trust Him and to know His leading rather than trying to quench the Spirit. To see God move or to be used of the Spirit is truly awesome and nothing to be feared.

I'm not seeing a fear of the Holy Spirit to do His will. I do see a fear of church members not being accepted if they don't do the same things the other church members claim to be doing.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I'm not seeing a fear of the Holy Spirit to do His will. I do see a fear of church members not being accepted if they don't do the same things the other church members claim to be doing.
Same difference, there should never be fear of anything in a church. There should only be Spirit filled Spirit led people doing as God wishes in His service.

Top Bottom