Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I saw this term "Church Age Theory" and I am not sure I know what it is. Explain it to me please?

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My best guess (without more context)

“The church age is a term which is used by those in the Dispensational movement as a period of time between Pentecost and the pre-wrath rapture of all the saints before the time of the Great Tribulation begins. The church age has been defined by Dispensationalists with the seven churches found in Revelation 2 & 3 understood as each church representing an era.”

Ephesian - 53-170 AD
Smyrna - 170-312 AD
Pergamos - 312-606 AD
Thyatira - 606-1520 AD
Sardis 1520-1750 AD
Philadelphia - 1750-1906 AD
Laodicean - 1906-Present

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I saw this term "Church Age Theory" and I am not sure I know what it is. Explain it to me please?
I heard this my entire time growing up in a free-will Mennonite church. It is particular to the US, I believe.
The postulation is that the seven churches in Revelation correspond with an era on the timeline of the church. Ephesus was the first era of the church, followed in succession by other eras that correspond to the other churches good and bad qualities. The last era before the rapture of the church is therefore Laodicea, which preachers say is the present time period. In this theory, we are going to be raptured and kept from the tribulation period at any time. So...while preachers bemoan the "lukewarm" era of the church, they also look to Jesus taking them away before they have to suffer.
What is ignored is the fact that churches around the world can resemble any of the seven letters in Revelation. Also ignored is the fact that the church is growing in great numbers under persecution right now. No one can say those churches are lukewarm.
Finally, the theory only finds favor with those in the US who are dispensationalist, pre-tribulation Christians.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When was this theory thought up? Isn't the "rapture" a modern idea?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My best guess (without more context)

“The church age is a term which is used by those in the Dispensational movement as a period of time between Pentecost and the pre-wrath rapture of all the saints before the time of the Great Tribulation begins. The church age has been defined by Dispensationalists with the seven churches found in Revelation 2 & 3 understood as each church representing an era.”

Ephesian - 53-170 AD
Smyrna - 170-312 AD
Pergamos - 312-606 AD
Thyatira - 606-1520 AD
Sardis 1520-1750 AD
Philadelphia - 1750-1906 AD
Laodicean - 1906-Present

That is about what I heard when Dwight Pentecost's book on Prophecy was in vogue. But things change in dispensationalism and now some other scheme may be in vogue.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
When was this theory thought up? Isn't the "rapture" a modern idea?
Yes, it's only about 150 years old, as is dispensationalism. Being relatively young, doesn't automatically make it wrong, but, like all theology, it must be tested against scripture.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

I know what the church age is. I assume the theory is similar.
The church began at Pentecost and exists until now and will until the end of the age. (Age meaning a period of time) Gk aeon

This is called the ‘church age’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom