(No debate)Religious arguments in public debate

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Oh those crazy Christians who want to force their beliefs onto the public is the voice of the public and in terms of public debate it can be frowned upon to use religious arguments. Historically were there more religious arguments used in days gone by as opposed to today and what arguments were used do you think and did the public approve or disapprove. Christians today are given the evil eye and in public debates there whackos if religious arguments are made at all but I do hear every now and again about a politician who is a Christian and tries to sway his brothers and sisters in Christ by showing he won't hide his light under a bushel and sometimes even Christians are embarrassed by it. What say you on religious arguments in public debate?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Religion has shaped politics of the United States. I'm just not sure when it became passe to use religious arguments in debates.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh those crazy Christians who want to force their beliefs onto the public is the voice of the public and in terms of public debate it can be frowned upon to use religious arguments. Historically were there more religious arguments used in days gone by as opposed to today and what arguments were used do you think and did the public approve or disapprove. Christians today are given the evil eye and in public debates there whackos if religious arguments are made at all but I do hear every now and again about a politician who is a Christian and tries to sway his brothers and sisters in Christ by showing he won't hide his light under a bushel and sometimes even Christians are embarrassed by it. What say you on religious arguments in public debate?

Maybe part of the problem is that if you use a religious argument in a public forum you may be relying on some premises that the general public wouldn't accept as true

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Maybe part of the problem is that if you use a religious argument in a public forum you may be relying on some premises that the general public wouldn't accept as true
I also think a lot has to do with how it is presented. I have seen some that make me cringe because they beat people over the head with it but I have also seen those that take the time to talk and get to know a little something about the person and then present the gospel and that can work wonders. I guess the trick is to be led by the Holy Spirit in what you say and when you say it.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't like arguing and so I wouldn't even get myself into it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think today that religion is brought into abortion topics in Political debates but I haven't thought about other topics that are not as ridiculed. Yes, I think Christianity is often ridiculed in the US because it's an easy target. Even Christians behave poorly so they set a bad example by not showing love to their neighbors so why would the world want to hear their views?

davedajobauk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I also think a lot has to do with how it is presented. I have seen some that make me cringe
because they beat people over the head with it but I have also seen those
that take the time to talk and get to know a little something about the person and then present the gospel
and that can work wonders. I guess the trick is to be led by the Holy Spirit in what you say and when you say it.

No TRICKS !!

Bible-Bashing, has always received 'Short Shrift' (little notice / attention)
where, receipt of Ecumenical Tongue-Lashings regarding the sins of the congregation /audience
is not 'something' that many would run ~to see and hear

Would that not seem to compare-them with Peter ?

Luke 22:54-62
54 Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance.
55 And when some there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them.
56 A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with him."
57 But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know him," he said.
58 A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." "Man, I am not!" Peter replied.
59 About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean."
60 Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed.
61 The LORD turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the LORD had spoken to him:
"Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times."​
62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.

I could not be as Peter had been, not even unto Death itself
Doesn't anyone STAND for their beliefs ?

I don't like arguing and so I wouldn't even get myself into it.

:thumbsup: Just like throwing Pearls to "swine" (pigs)

dave

Top Bottom