Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Does the church you attend do any type of benevolence ministries for those less fortunate? food pantry or clothing or meals on wheels or anything like that?

the last two churches I have attended have had some type of food pantry. When I was a pastor we couldn't keep our food pantry stocked well, the need was so great. We ended up just sending people to the grocery store with vouchers the store would honor from us. That way we didn't have to keep shelves stocked and people could get things like meat and milk and things that were perishable.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we have a food bank, and we have a program called Bountiful Blessings for non food items, we also have a fund to help out people in need.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, we have a food bank, and we have a program called Bountiful Blessings for non food items, we also have a fund to help out people in need.

Do you find that those you help actually end up coming to your services? I have found that most if not all the people we served in the past we never saw at a service. Though we always invited them

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does the church you attend do any type of benevolence ministries for those less fortunate? food pantry or clothing or meals on wheels or anything like that?

the last two churches I have attended have had some type of food pantry. When I was a pastor we couldn't keep our food pantry stocked well, the need was so great. We ended up just sending people to the grocery store with vouchers the store would honor from us. That way we didn't have to keep shelves stocked and people could get things like meat and milk and things that were perishable.

My last church had a food bank. In theory I thought the idea was good but in practise found it seemed to get hijacked by the local supermarkets, who seemed very quick to take credit for "supporting" the food bank when actually about all they were doing was giving people the chance to buy extra stuff (at full price, obviously) to donate. The supermarket wasn't doing anything more than providing a place to temporarily store the items purchased at full price from them.

I'd really have liked to have seen the supermarkets offering something above the chance to pay full price for items to donate. One local baker would often donate all their unsold product at the end of the day, the day before the food bank. Much of it was given to the people using the food bank, things like pastries and donuts were often given to visitors alongside a cup of tea of coffee etc. One of the ladies in the church was quite hard up so if there was stuff left over at the end of the session it would often be given to her.

My current church has a procedure to give alms to those in need. I'm not involved with it in any way so don't know much about how it works, other than that the pastor and elders discuss alms needs and how they can best be met.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you find that those you help actually end up coming to your services? I have found that most if not all the people we served in the past we never saw at a service. Though we always invited them

Exactly the same here.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
My experience is the same

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My church does sleeping bags for the homeless (when we have enough volunteers to help sew them)...and no, they don't come to our services. But then again, we don't expect them to since our service to them is to provide for them. A lot of the homeless have mental issues and stay away from people for the most part.

Where I used to live the drug users would go the church office to beg for money. My pastor would offer them vouchers for stores but they would refuse them since they wanted the money for drugs or alcohol. Some even complained about the vouchers insisting that the church had to help them because they were Christian and give them money instead...thinking we didn't know what they wanted the money for. People take advantage all the time because they expect Christians to give hand outs.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, our church helps out with different things and the ministerium in our town also has a fund to help with heat and electric. Usually this is all done by either buying the items or paying directly to the supplier, very seldom is it in the form of cash.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, our church helps out with different things and the ministerium in our town also has a fund to help with heat and electric. Usually this is all done by either buying the items or paying directly to the supplier, very seldom is it in the form of cash.

Years ago, when I was more involved in the benevolence ministry of a church in Texas if someone had problems paying a bill with water or utilities of some kind we would just go down to the office in town with their account number and make a payment on it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Years ago, when I was more involved in the benevolence ministry of a church in Texas if someone had problems paying a bill with water or utilities of some kind we would just go down to the office in town with their account number and make a payment on it.
Yes, of the ones I know of in town if you need a utility paid or heat then it is paid directly to the supplier, need gas, a gas card is provided, need diapers or groceries we will buy them for you or give you a gift card to the store. So many ways today to do things other than giving cash

Top Bottom