Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
My daughter will be moving back in with us briefly until she can find a job and apartment later this summer. It will be a 12 hour drive back here from where she lives now and it means an overnight because we'll all have our own cars/truck to drive and there is no way I can do that in one day!

What tips do you have for packing things besides putting them in boxes that are too bulky to fit in cars?

What things besides change of address and stop utilities will she need to remember?

Any other advice will be a big help!

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My daughter will be moving back in with us briefly until she can find a job and apartment later this summer. It will be a 12 hour drive back here from where she lives now and it means an overnight because we'll all have our own cars/truck to drive and there is no way I can do that in one day!

What tips do you have for packing things besides putting them in boxes that are too bulky to fit in cars?

What things besides change of address and stop utilities will she need to remember?

Depending on just how much she has, maybe rent a U-Haul?

Figure what things she's not going to need during her time with you and put them in their own clearly marked boxes. It means you can just dump all those boxes in the attic/basement/whatever rather than having to unpack absolutely everything right away.

It's remarkable how much you can fit into a box if you're willing to pack efficiently. My natural tendency would be to pack fragile things sparsely and put a lot of packaging material in there. I've seen professionals do it and was amazed at just how much they put into the box - still well padded but stuffed to the point nothing was going to move. Just remember to put that box on the top.

You've got the change of address - make sure everything is covered and set up mail forwarding if that's an option in her area. There's always something you miss. Last time I moved I forgot one of my pension plans - it's a small one that was set up so many years ago I had literally forgotten I had it. It's so small there's a chance it will be worth literally nothing by the time I retire, it's too small to make it worth transferring into one of my other plans, but the annual statement still has my personal details on it.

Make sure you take final readings of all the meters and take photographs to prove them. If there's a dispute later the pictures could be useful and will only take a few seconds to secure.

Depending on what your cars are, remember that loading the back heavily may change the handling. If you put a lot of weight in the back of a vehicle with front wheel drive you can lose some traction when trying to accelerate, and a lot of weight in the back relative to the car will affect cornering, stopping distances etc. It's easy to get into the mindset of throwing a few things loose on the top once it's loaded but if you do have to stop suddenly (or, worse, run into the back of something) those loose things might hit you in the back of the head.

Don't forget to give the keys back to the landlord!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hire a moving company. :ewink:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Depending on just how much she has, maybe rent a U-Haul?

Figure what things she's not going to need during her time with you and put them in their own clearly marked boxes. It means you can just dump all those boxes in the attic/basement/whatever rather than having to unpack absolutely everything right away.

It's remarkable how much you can fit into a box if you're willing to pack efficiently. My natural tendency would be to pack fragile things sparsely and put a lot of packaging material in there. I've seen professionals do it and was amazed at just how much they put into the box - still well padded but stuffed to the point nothing was going to move. Just remember to put that box on the top.

You've got the change of address - make sure everything is covered and set up mail forwarding if that's an option in her area. There's always something you miss. Last time I moved I forgot one of my pension plans - it's a small one that was set up so many years ago I had literally forgotten I had it. It's so small there's a chance it will be worth literally nothing by the time I retire, it's too small to make it worth transferring into one of my other plans, but the annual statement still has my personal details on it.

Make sure you take final readings of all the meters and take photographs to prove them. If there's a dispute later the pictures could be useful and will only take a few seconds to secure.

Depending on what your cars are, remember that loading the back heavily may change the handling. If you put a lot of weight in the back of a vehicle with front wheel drive you can lose some traction when trying to accelerate, and a lot of weight in the back relative to the car will affect cornering, stopping distances etc. It's easy to get into the mindset of throwing a few things loose on the top once it's loaded but if you do have to stop suddenly (or, worse, run into the back of something) those loose things might hit you in the back of the head.

Don't forget to give the keys back to the landlord!

The keys!! Thank you!! My daughter forgot one year and we had to pay $50 for a replacement even though she could have just mailed it back.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hire a moving company. :ewink:

Do you have any idea how much money it would cost to move someone 12 hours away? I can't do that! I'd much rather she purge items and we repurchase them for less cost than a mover.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you have any idea how much money it would cost to move someone 12 hours away? I can't do that! I'd much rather she purge items and we repurchase them for less cost than a mover.

What's better still is to purge the items you don't need and then not repurchase them. Moving is always a good time to take stock of the things that haven't moved for a year or more.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What's better still is to purge the items you don't need and then not repurchase them. Moving is always a good time to take stock of the things that haven't moved for a year or more.

I was hoping to purge her old mattress! She'll need a new one then but it's easier to not move a full size mattress...and the dresser is new too but did she leave it in good condition? That's a huge item to move. We have a pickup truck but it has a cap on it so space is limited.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was hoping to purge her old mattress! She'll need a new one then but it's easier to not move a full size mattress...and the dresser is new too but did she leave it in good condition? That's a huge item to move. We have a pickup truck but it has a cap on it so space is limited.

Be thankful it's not a king size :)

When my wife and I had our new bed delivered the delivery guys struggled to get it all through the house. It's an old house with a few narrow hallways and tight corners. We ordered a queen size and I think the delivery guys were glad it wasn't a king.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Be thankful it's not a king size :)

When my wife and I had our new bed delivered the delivery guys struggled to get it all through the house. It's an old house with a few narrow hallways and tight corners. We ordered a queen size and I think the delivery guys were glad it wasn't a king.

ugh We have a King and my husband forced me to help move it up the 2nd floor. I'm still dying over that one!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
ugh We have a King and my husband forced me to help move it up the 2nd floor. I'm still dying over that one!

We used to have a king size waterbed. When we moved it was an interesting task to drain it. In the end the best we could manage was to throw a couple of hoses out of the window and into a drain, then suck the hose and drain it as best we could that way. It was interesting explaining to neighbors what was going on, but by then I think they were used to slightly unusual things at our house.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

My first piece of advice would be not to move in the summer (too hot) but you already broke that rule:disgonbegood:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you are driving to where she currently lives, you can probably not do better than to rent a U-Haul or Ryder trailer. But if I were you, I would look into hiring a family-owned moving company (not one of the big companies) to pack and deliver everything. That saves on your gas two-ways, a motel, the cost of selling furniture at a discount only to purchase replacements later, and a lot of effort and time on your part.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My first piece of advice would be not to move in the summer (too hot) but you already broke that rule:disgonbegood:

She wants to work as long as possible and since she still lives in the town where she went to college all the leases there end at the same time. I would rather move her NOW!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you are driving to where she currently lives, you can probably not do better than to rent a U-Haul or Ryder trailer. But if I were you, I would look into hiring a family-owned moving company (not one of the big companies) to pack and deliver everything. That saves on your gas two-ways, a motel, the cost of selling furniture at a discount only to purchase replacements later, and a lot of effort and time on your part.

I can't even get an accurate quote because I have no idea how much stuff she is going to move. I asked her at Easter if there was anything she wanted us to bring back with us and she said no. I wish I had forced the issue more.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is difficult to know what to do, working from that uninformative information, I am sure.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Even if we hired movers the cost of the overnight room (because it's a long distance) and tolls would still be billed to us. And also my daughter has to make her way here with her guinea pigs and I wouldn't want her to drive the 12 hours through mountains by herself so we would still have to go meet her. It's quite the dilemma. If my nephew isn't working I might hire him to help out. It's nice that my daughter isn't living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building this year...now that was an atrocious move :(

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Even if we hired movers the cost of the overnight room (because it's a long distance) and tolls would still be billed to us. And also my daughter has to make her way here with her guinea pigs and I wouldn't want her to drive the 12 hours through mountains by herself so we would still have to go meet her. It's quite the dilemma. If my nephew isn't working I might hire him to help out. It's nice that my daughter isn't living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building this year...now that was an atrocious move :(

This is a toughie, all right. One thing seems certain--you need some transport for the belongings and two cars aren't enough for that. Therefore, UHaul or Ryder. Beyond that, you all are in for a lot of work, unfortunately.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Serious question, does she have any idea where she is likely to be living and working? Is it a sensible proposition to rent a storage unit near where she lives now, shift most of her stuff into the storage unit, then move it when she is settled in her new job/apartment/etc? It would seem like it might save a whole pile of work.

ETA: It might also encourage her to get herself sorted out sooner, if that counts as a benefit to you :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Serious question, does she have any idea where she is likely to be living and working? Is it a sensible proposition to rent a storage unit near where she lives now, shift most of her stuff into the storage unit, then move it when she is settled in her new job/apartment/etc? It would seem like it might save a whole pile of work.

ETA: It might also encourage her to get herself sorted out sooner, if that counts as a benefit to you :)

She will be living with us until she can get a job and an apartment. My husband might be able to get her a job where he works but she might not want to work in the same place he does. It will pay well though and she can move out sooner.

Whatever we can't bring with us back here (12 hours away), we'll most likely have to call my dad to get it and store it (he lives 3 hours from her) or rent a storage unit which isn't cheap. It's a college town she lives in and a lot of units are probably filled until students return mid August to move back in after summer break.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Do not forget to get your spare tires pumped full of air before you depart.

Top Bottom