When is our name written in the book of life?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There is nothing in scripture that states that a name CAN be removed from the Book of Life, and no scripture that depicts a name ACTUALLY BEING removed from the Book of Life. There is 1 Psalm in which a man requests that his enemies be blotted out of the book of life, but no indication that God did so.

In your quote from Matthew, all we learn is the same lesson that James teaches us ... a dead faith cannot save anyone. It tells us nothing about the OP topic.

It is wrong to claim that there is no verse with names removed and only one verse in the psalms about a man requesting names to be blotted out. I wrote a number of posts on the matter. I can go back and re-display them if that is necessary. Or you might take a look at them. Some of the passages cited or quoted or both in those posts are these : Hebrews 6:1-8, Revelation 22:19, 1John 5:16-17.

PS: Hebrews 6:1 Therefore, let us leave the elementary teaching about Christ, and move forward, to a more advanced knowledge, without laying, again, the foundation, that is: turning away from dead works, faith in God, 2 the teaching about baptisms and laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead and the final judgement. 3 This is what we shall do, God permitting. 4 In any case, it would be impossible to renew, again, through penance, those who have once been enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and received the Holy Spirit, 5 tasted the beauty of the word of God, and the wonders of the supernatural world. 6 If, in spite of this, they have ceased to believe, and have fallen away, it is impossible to move them a second time to repentance, when they are crucifying, on their own ac count, the Son of God, and spurning him publicly. 7 Soil that drinks the rain falling continually on it and produces profitable grass for those who till it, receives the blessings of God, 8 but the soil that produces thorns and bushes is poor soil, and in danger of being cursed. In the end, it will be burned.

Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; let them not be enrolled among the righteous. (Psalms 69:28)

The victor will thus be dressed in white, and I will never erase his name from the book of life but will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and of his angels. (Revelation 3:5)

Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. (Exodus 32:32-33)

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Revelation 22:19)

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

From recent Posts – some information that was given to support what can be summarised as: “all the chosen are irrevocably saved” – i.e. being chosen by God – being in the Book of Life – not being taken out again – not being “un-chosen”:

==============================================================================================

Post #131: Isaiah 41:8-10
[8]“But as for you, Israel my servant, *** Jacob my chosen one, *** descended from Abraham my friend,
[9]I have called you back from the ends of the earth, *** saying, ‘You are my servant.’ For I have chosen you *** and will not throw you away.
[10]Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. *** Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. *** I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

But the focus of that scripture extract is Israel the nation, not Israel the individual. (Readers please check.)

If the Poster did not wish to imply that every Israelite (including every last Jew) was chosen – that every Israelite (including every last Jew) was written in the Book of life – why did he submit that particular Biblical extract?

But could it be that that is what he actually did mean? Because he later (in Post #128) submitted Romans 11:25-36 (with insertions), the first few verses of which state categorically:
[25]I want you to understand this mystery, dear brothers and sisters, so that you will not feel proud about yourselves. Some of the people of Israel have hard hearts, but this will last only until the full number of Gentiles comes to Christ.
[26]And so all Israel will be saved. As the Scriptures say, “The one who rescues will come from Jerusalem, *** and he will turn Israel away from ungodliness.
[27]And this is my covenant with them, *** that I will take away their sins.”
[28]Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
[29]For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.

So, if “all the chosen are irrevocably saved”, then every last descendant in the line of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is by definition saved.

Another submission (Post #130) was Habakkuk 3:2-19, which includes:
[13]You went out to rescue your chosen people, *** to save your anointed ones. You crushed the heads of the wicked *** and stripped their bones from head to toe.

Note: Particular descendants of Israel – those living in Judah around the time of the Babylonian invasion – i.e. “Jews” – are called "chosen people" and "annointed ones".

To be consistent, is it not reasonable to ask: Do the scripture offerings inspected above, support the idea that all people chosen by God (“the chosen”) irrevocably saved? Or not?

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the Jews were called God's people see Deuteronomy 14:1; Romans 9:4. They were blood related to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, see Deuteronomy 7:8. They had eternal life. They had the adoption as sons. When any of them sinned against God, their names were blotted out, see Exodus 32:33.

When Jesus had his ministry on earth, only the Jews who had faith in God before Jesus came could come to Jesus to be saved; God cut off unbelieving Jews, see Romans 11:20. Their names were blotted out. Before Jesus came, Gentiles were excluded and without God in the world, see Ephesians 2:12. The gospel of Jesus Christ is what brought the far off Gentiles near, see Ephesians 2:13.

The book spoken of in Malachi 3:17 is about the remnant of Jews to be saved when Jesus came.

Malachi 3:16-17
16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
17 And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

I believe that a saved person could lose their salvation and have their name blotted out, see Romans 11:22.
Scriptures say that over comers will NOT be blotted out.

Psalm 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

Revelation 3:5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels.

Exodus 32:33
The LORD said to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.

Therefore non-over comers will be blotted out. The fact that a name can be blotted out from the Book of Life is proof enough that it is there written in the first place, otherwise there is nothing to blot.

Revelation 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

Jesus says to him who overcomes he will give the right to eat from the tree of life.

Now read this scripture…

Revelation 17:8 The beast, which you saw, once was, now is not, and will come up out of the Abyss and go to his destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because he once was, now is not, and yet will come.

Did you read that scripture? Did you read how there are inhabitants whose name have NOT been written in the book of life?

There are those who are saved, and they can lose their salvation. We all are not just given salvation, we get it when we believe and obey Jesus.
The Jews were God’s people and had eternal life because they were blood related to Abraham. No one is saved anymore because of whom they are related to, we are saved when we have faith in Jesus and obey him.

People are warned about falling away for a reason.

Not sinning and having eternal life go together.

A name can be blotted out.

God knows who will accept His Son, and God knows who will reject His Son. The plan is predestined, not people. The proof that people are not predestined is that they can be blotted out. If you were saved before having to believe and obey, then there would be no need to believe and obey.

The book of life and the Lamb's book of life are the same.

Last edited:

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is wrong to claim that there is no verse with names removed and only one verse in the psalms about a man requesting names to be blotted out. I wrote a number of posts on the matter. I can go back and re-display them if that is necessary. Or you might take a look at them. Some of the passages cited or quoted or both in those posts are these : Hebrews 6:1-8, Revelation 22:19, 1John 5:16-17.

PS: Hebrews 6:1 Therefore, let us leave the elementary teaching about Christ, and move forward, to a more advanced knowledge, without laying, again, the foundation, that is: turning away from dead works, faith in God, 2 the teaching about baptisms and laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead and the final judgement. 3 This is what we shall do, God permitting. 4 In any case, it would be impossible to renew, again, through penance, those who have once been enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and received the Holy Spirit, 5 tasted the beauty of the word of God, and the wonders of the supernatural world. 6 If, in spite of this, they have ceased to believe, and have fallen away, it is impossible to move them a second time to repentance, when they are crucifying, on their own ac count, the Son of God, and spurning him publicly. 7 Soil that drinks the rain falling continually on it and produces profitable grass for those who till it, receives the blessings of God, 8 but the soil that produces thorns and bushes is poor soil, and in danger of being cursed. In the end, it will be burned.

Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; let them not be enrolled among the righteous. (Psalms 69:28)

The victor will thus be dressed in white, and I will never erase his name from the book of life but will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and of his angels. (Revelation 3:5)

Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. (Exodus 32:32-33)

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Revelation 22:19)

Do you EVER read context?
I have to wonder after reading some of those verses you presented with their surrounding verses.

Hebrews 6 ... no mention of the “book of life” at all, so a nice bunny trail.

Psalm 69 ... ripped out of context and abused (I am pretty sure David is just poetically asking for God to kill his enemies.)

Rev 3 ... a verse about NEVER ERASING A NAME from the book of life is not very strong evidence that names can be erased from the book of life (but I admit I didn’t bother checking the context since the verse itself doesn’t talk about God removing a name from the Lamb’s book of life.

Exodus 32 ... I guess you are right. Of course the book of life must be completely blank since “all have sinned”.

Rev 22 ... No comment. (Nothing good ever comes from debating Revelation) ... but HAS anyone taken away from that book of prophecy that was ever saved in the first place?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have to wonder after reading some of those verses you presented with their surrounding verses.

Psalm 69 ... ripped out of context and abused (I am pretty sure David is just poetically asking for God to kill his enemies.)

Rev 3 ... a verse about NEVER ERASING A NAME from the book of life is not very strong evidence that names can be erased from the book of life (but I admit I didn’t bother checking the context since the verse itself doesn’t talk about God removing a name from the Lamb’s book of life.

Exodus 32 ... I guess you are right. Of course the book of life must be completely blank since “all have sinned”.

Rev 22 ... No comment. (Nothing good ever comes from debating Revelation) ... but HAS anyone taken away from that book of prophecy that was ever saved in the first place?

I'd reply to this with something informative but for the very high probability that any reply will be wasted.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I'd reply to this with something informative but for the very high probability that any reply will be wasted.
It's highly doubtful your reply would be your own. Instead you would copy and paste a meaningless trollup from the Roman catechism that doesn't address anything remotely close to the subject, but you figured just copying and pasting would be sufficient as an argument.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Unfortunately, many quote scripture like pagans who know nothing about the whole of God's word. Just Google a subject and pluck the verses that sound good for the opinion that needs to be propped up.

Top Bottom