Common Figure of Speech?

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No

Awaiting Transport,​

I'm afraid your comments deal with issues for a different topic.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Actually, the title should be "Examples of Common Figure of Speech"?

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

"Matthew 12:40 does not say that Jesus would be buried in a tomb for three days and three nights."

"Jerusalem was considered the “heart of the earth: “Thus says the Lord GOD, ‘This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her’” (Ezek. 5:5; cp. Ezek. 38:12; Acts 1:8)."

"From the time of His being “delivered up” on Thursday evening in the Garden of Gethsemane to the day He “will be raised” constitutes “three days and three nights” in the “heart of the land,” that is, in Jerusalem. The Greek word often translated as “earth” is better translated as “land.” "

There is a whole lot more in this article which analyzes all the theories about the three days and three nights:
Three Days and Three Nights - The American Vision

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
"Matthew 12:40 does not say that Jesus would be buried in a tomb for three days and three nights."

"Jerusalem was considered the “heart of the earth: “Thus says the Lord GOD, ‘This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her’”...

You're making a case for why "heart of the earth" isn't referring to the tomb. However, this topic is directed to those who do think that it is referring to the tomb.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You're making a case for why "heart of the earth" isn't referring to the tomb. However, this topic is directed to those who do think that it is referring to the tomb.
Oops, I guess I misunderstood. However, the article I linked also discusses the days and part days and other theories, so may be helpful background info.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Oops, I guess I misunderstood. However, the article I linked also discusses the days and part days and other theories, so may be helpful background info.
Perhaps for other topics but not for this one.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Being well into the new year, maybe someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Point 6 of the OP should be changed to read: I wonder if anyone who falls in that group of believers could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Christian believers who support the solar calendar and the ancient tradition of the Friday-Sunday death/resurrection will find endless excuses to support why Jesus can't count 3 days and 3 nights, and how the "3rd day" somehow falls "after 3 days".

In short, they do not believe Jesus's words as they say they do.

The only way to get to the truth of the matter is to look to Genesis. Yeshua (Jesus) told us the only sign given to the wicked generation that He would destroy the temple and raise it in 3 days was the sign of Jonah. Small wonder, Jonah is one of the least read books in the bible.

Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of a whale. So shall the son of man be 3 days and 3 nights "in the heart of the earth".

What happens to Jonah? He is spit out and lands on dry ground. On the 3rd day. The 3rd day that falls after 3 days and 3 nights.

NOW READ GENESIS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE 3RD DAY. THE CALENDAR WE LIVE BY IS FALSE.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Christian believers who support the solar calendar and the ancient tradition of the Friday-Sunday death/resurrection will find endless excuses to support why Jesus can't count 3 days and 3 nights, and how the "3rd day" somehow falls "after 3 days".

In short, they do not believe Jesus's words as they say they do.

The only way to get to the truth of the matter is to look to Genesis. Yeshua (Jesus) told us the only sign given to the wicked generation that He would destroy the temple and raise it in 3 days was the sign of Jonah. Small wonder, Jonah is one of the least read books in the bible.

Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of a whale. So shall the son of man be 3 days and 3 nights "in the heart of the earth".

What happens to Jonah? He is spit out and lands on dry ground. On the 3rd day. The 3rd day that falls after 3 days and 3 nights.

NOW READ GENESIS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE 3RD DAY. THE CALENDAR WE LIVE BY IS FALSE.
Again, your comments deal with issues for a different topic.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Point 6 of the OP should be changed to read: I wonder if anyone who falls in that group of believers** could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred?
Would not the New Testament's recording of the early church's decision to make Sunday the principle day of worship because it was the day of the Lord's Resurrection pretty much settle the matter in all respects?

**almost all of Christianity, in other words

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Would not the New Testament's recording of the early church's decision to make Sunday the principle day of worship because it was the day of the Lord's Resurrection pretty much settle the matter in all respects?

You mean Constantine's decision. The pagan sun worshiper. Your New Testament (English) "first day of the week" is not true to the Greek. A literal reading gives the day of Resurrection as a rather vague "One (day) of the Sabbaths". One does not equal first and the word translated "week" is Sabbaths in the plural.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No

re: "**almost all of Christianity, in other words"

So you're saying that most Christians believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week, and think that the "heart of the earth" refers to the tomb, and try to explain the missing third night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech of the period. I'm simply looking for actual examples to support the idea of commonality.

re: "Would not the New Testament's recording of the early church's decision to make Sunday the principle day of worship because it was the day of the Lord's Resurrection pretty much settle the matter in all respects?

How does it show the commonality of saying that a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur?

BTW, I'm not aware of the New Testament recording any decision to make Sunday the principle day of worship because it was the day of the Lord's Resurrection.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
re: "**almost all of Christianity, in other words"

So you're saying that most Christians believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week,..
Yes, on Friday and Sunday respectively.
BTW, I'm not aware of the New Testament recording any decision to make Sunday the principle day of worship because it was the day of the Lord's Resurrection.
See Acts of the Apostles 20:7. Also 1 Corinthians 16:2 and 2 Corinthians 9:12.

Last edited:

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Yes, on Friday and Sunday respectively.

See Acts of the Apostles 20:7. Also 1 Corinthians 16:2 and 2 Corinthians 9:12.

re: "Yes, on Friday and Sunday respectively."

You left out the rest of the sentence.

re: "See Acts of the Apostles 20:7. Also 1 Corinthians 16:2 and 2 Corinthians 9:12.

Those verses say nothing about making the 1st day of the week the principle day of worship, much less because of the resurrection.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
re: "Yes, on Friday and Sunday respectively."

You left out the rest of the sentence.
I thought it best to settle that part of the issue before moving on to something else.
re: "See Acts of the Apostles 20:7. Also 1 Corinthians 16:2 and 2 Corinthians 9:12.

Those verses say nothing about making the 1st day of the week the principle day of worship, much less because of the resurrection.
Well, that's your own opinion...and the view of a relatively tiny segment of the Christian churches of history. What's more, you didn't offer us any alternate interpretation of those verses.

In addition, there's the ordinary historical record which tells us that Sunday worship dates from the first century.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
I thought it best to settle that part of the issue before moving on to something else.
But it's not something else. It's all part of the requirements for those to whom this topic is directed.
Well, that's your own opinion...and the view of a relatively tiny segment of the Christian churches of history.
Please point out where Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, and 2 Corinthians 9:2 say anything about the resurrection.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But it's not something else. It's all part of the requirements for those to whom this topic is directed.
I'd say that the issue of which days or nights Christ spent in the tomb...and when it was that the Church decided to make Sunday its primary day of worship (and whether or not that was proper) are different topics.
Please point out where Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, and 2 Corinthians 9:2 say anything about the resurrection.
That much is of course assumed. However, Sunday is already determined to have been the day of the Resurrection, so this item is not in question.

We could, if you wish, turn now to the divine authorization given for the Church to have made that move. There are various Bible verses that say the change was permissible, so for most Christians, that's settled.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
I'd say that the issue of which days or nights Christ spent in the tomb...and when it was that the Church decided to make Sunday its primary day of worship (and whether or not that was proper) are different topics.

You're absolutely correct. Unfortunately I allowed myself to get drawn off topic by replying to your off topic comment in post #91. The only issue of this topic concerns the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
So far no examples have been provided, but maybe someone new looking in might know of some.

Why are examples needed? They are not. Apparently only for you...an atheist. Gee...like an example would do any good.

(Matt. 12:40) "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

So, I ask you. Was Jonah in the belly of a whale three days and nights?

Lees

Top Bottom