• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Ethics & Debate Center - Thread: Common Figure of Speech?

psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,697,970 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      80.1%
      Quote Originally Posted by Pedrito View Post
      ================================================== ============================================

In Post # 39 we saw that the Jewish shops were closed long before the women who were with Jesus at His crucifixion and accompanied His body and watched as it was buried, had time to shop for the spices. (Quite apart from the Inspired Biblical Record telling us that the women bought spices after the sabbath – which must have been the first of two, because they then rested on the sabbath after preparing those spices – a second sabbath.)

But not to be deprived of a last-ditch stand, the Friday-Sunday belief-cherishers have yet one last card in reserve. They say that the shops run by the pagans (gentiles) in their midst would have remained open, and the women would have bought the spices there.

================================================== ============================================

There are two rather obvious problems with that argument.

The first is that a strong priority of the Roman occupiers was to keep the peace – to keep the lid on unrest. It was that consideration that prompted Pontius Pilate’s capitulation to the restive Jewish crowd. (A mishandling of a later incident led to his ultimate recall to Rome.) If the gentiles had tried to keep their shops open, there would have been a riot. Those shopkeepers would have been in big trouble with the Roman authorities, and they knew it.

But more importantly, let’s have a look at Acts 10:27-28 – Jewish Peter visiting the gentile Cornelius:
      27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
      28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

The women wouldn’t have been seen dead walking into a gentile shop. Nor would they have considered using religiously contaminated (unclean) spices on the body of their Beloved One.

The Holy Scripture is unequivocal. The rearguard actions fail.

There were two sabbaths and an intervening day between Jesus’ crucifixion and His resurrection.

He was in the tomb for three whole days (three days and three nights) just as He said He would be.

And the stated request of rstrats in Post #17 (Again, the topic request for examples is with regard to the commonality of forecasting a daytime or a night time when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur.) has been satisfied by the example that has the most unequivocal evidence both from Scripture and from the religious cultural society of Jesus’ day.

And once again, Readers can reevaluate where their true loyalties actually lie, should they wish to.

Eloquently put and backls up what I also said about two sabbeths.
      Isaiah 40:31

rstrats is offline Participant Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.17%
      Pedrito,
      "And the stated request of rstrats in Post #17 (Again, the topic request for examples is with regard to the commonality of forecasting a daytime or a night time when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur.) has been satisfied..."

Actually, it hasn't. You have not provided any examples of instances where a night time or a daytime was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      Eloquently put and backls up what I also said about two sabbeths.
      That would be an issue for a different topic.

SilkenBast is offline Rookie Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      47.25%
      Hi rstrats.

I know the answer to your dilemma, and I know 3 days and 3 nights means exactly that. The terms "after 3 days I will rise" and "rise on the 3rd day" are also literal.

I also know you will wonder about it your entire life as a Christian until you start to do certain things. Then you will be given the answer. Those certain things have to do with obedience and asking God for wisdom.

I could spell it out for you here, but it is against all the Christian denominations (that I am aware of) tradition and it will not be accepted. What I can say is this, all the statements above are true. Plainly, true. No special reckoning of days are needed, no need to move back the time to a point before Crucifixion. No obscure half witted dismissals of "just understand High Sabbath" as if that clears anything up. The answer is simple, but you must really seek it, trust God and have a will to obey. Then you will find it.

Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.17%
      SilkenBast,
      re: "Then you will find it."

Actually, it's "them", i.e., examples from the period which show instances where a night time or a daytime was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. And since it appears that you are not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate, you probably don't know of any.

SilkenBast is offline Rookie Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      47.25%
      Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
      SilkenBast,
      re: "Then you will find it."

Actually, it's "them", i.e., examples from the period which show instances where a night time or a daytime was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. And since it appears that you are not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate, you probably don't know of any.
      I have underlined your sentence as it appears strange to me. As it is either morning, evening, day or night, what possible time could you be referring to?

I accept that the crucifixion took place before a Sabbath, a High Sabbath in this case, and reject the notion of 2 sabbaths having occurred that week. That will of course not make sense on a purely linear timeline if the sign of Jonah is literal (which I believe it is), but that's ok, I don't need it to be because I understand all the terms used from a different perspective.

Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.17%
      SilkenBast,
      re: "As it is either morning, evening, day or night, what possible time could you be referring to?"

All three. Why do you ask?