Do you hover or hide when there is a contractor at your home?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I often wonder what to do when I have someone working at my house. Do I stick around and make sure the guy is being honest about his work or do I go about my business and wait for him to produce the bill? Do I check in often or only once or twice?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
When we were "fixing" my father's house after he passed I hovered a bit when they were installing a new furnace and then I went and sat in a rocking chair on the porch. I just let go of it.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I often wonder what to do when I have someone working at my house. Do I stick around and make sure the guy is being honest about his work or do I go about my business and wait for him to produce the bill? Do I check in often or only once or twice?

I don't often have contractors in because I do as much as possible myself.

When I do have a contractor in the way I interact with them depends very much on what they are doing. If it's something that's a little beyond my expertise/confidence I'll often watch and ask questions as they go. If I end up paying a little more because the job took longer due to answering my questions, so be it. If it's something I need done a specific way then I may watch to make sure it is done the way I wanted it.

If it's something where I have no intention of doing the work myself and therefore little to no interest in learning more about how to do it, or some aspects of it legally require a licensed contractor, I usually just leave them to it. When I had an electrician in to fit a new breaker panel I watched much of what he did to see how a professional works compared to how I work (aside from being much faster than me there weren't as many differences as I expected) but when he was working on the breaker box that isolates the entire house I just left him to it. When I have roofing work done I have no intention of climbing ladders high enough to fix the roof so just leave the roofer to get on with it.

As it happened when the electrician was doing his thing it was handy me being around because there were a few things he needed that I had on hand, which saved some time and money. He was charging based on time and material so if I had a spare breaker switch it saved me buying one from him. I was also able to help when he was trying to feed a #4 solid grounding cable through a succession of holes and it was bunching up - I could pull one part as he pushed another. Not a big deal but saved a bit of effort.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It depends. If he has to crawl under the house he's on his own or go in the attic during the summer time.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I hover cause I want to know what there doing.

davedajobauk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I ALWAYS HOVER

Mary lost her wedding and engagement rings while electricians were doing a rewire

She didn't know who had removed them from above the bathroom basin
when, she forgot to replace them after drying her hands

She told me that it might have been her middle son (one that stole her wig) ~to buy drugs

If you trust, and then go the loser_ have you not extended an invitation ? ~to "Hit me" (?)

and besides, having been a plumber, I queried a plumber adding a drain tap to the base of the incoming supply
(after the stop-tap) but not having one, below the last of the faucets served on the ground floor)
It was ADDED following my mention of it

just saying

dave

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I ALWAYS HOVER

Mary lost her wedding and engagement rings while electricians were doing a rewire

She didn't know who had removed them from above the bathroom basin
when, she forgot to replace them after drying her hands

She told me that it might have been her middle son (one that stole her wig) ~to buy drugs

If you trust, and then go the loser_ have you not extended an invitation ? ~to "Hit me" (?)

and besides, having been a plumber, I queried a plumber adding a drain tap to the base of the incoming supply
(after the stop-tap) but not having one, below the last of the faucets served on the ground floor)
It was ADDED following my mention of it

just saying

dave

I wish I knew how to do more plumbing work. I don't have the strength to do what needs to get done at times though!

davedajobauk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I wish I knew how to do more plumbing work. I don't have the strength to do what needs to get done at times though!

:thumbsup:

I would have problems removing a bath and replacing-it with a new one

Connecting it up, would present no problems for me
It all depends on the weight and bulk of the item being manhandled [I have heart failure]

davedajobauk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
If you lived 'just around the corner' we could do the job between us :)

I would provide the tools, with-which I am very-familiar [many decades]

:)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you lived 'just around the corner' we could do the job between us :)

I would provide the tools, with-which I am very-familiar [many decades]

I'm an artist so I could show you how to paint :D

davedajobauk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I'm an artist so I could show you how to paint :D

There is the distinct possibility, that I might learn 'something' [useful] from, your 'coaching' Laemmchen :thumbsup:

My art teacher added this comment to my final year report:

"David, is exceptionally-good at 'Abstract'. He is often so-rapid, in-execution that he sometimes 'makes a mess' "

Fact is, that we often excel, at those things that we enjoy-doing ?

I have water, oil, poster and acrylic paints and canvasses, here already
& THREE 'unused' BEDROOMS

dave

Top Bottom