Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
==============================================================================================

Tango in Post #5:
There isn't a single verse in Scripture that says it's a sin to be gay.

==============================================================================================

1 Corinthians 6:9,10:
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And as partially (but well) quoted by RichWh1 (Post #20) Romans 1:24-32 [emphasis added to focus attention]:

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of [their] hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves.
25 For they changed the truth of God into a lie, and they worshiped and served the created thing more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this cause, God gave them up to dishonorable affections. For even their women changed the natural use into that which is against nature.
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust toward one another; males with males working out shamefulness, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error.
28 And even as they did not think fit to have God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do the things not right,
29 being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; [being] full of envy, murder, quarrels, deceit, evil habits, [becoming] whisperers,
30 backbiters, haters of God, insolent, proud, braggarts, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 undiscerning, perfidious, without natural affection, unforgiving, unmerciful;
32 who, knowing the righteous order of God, that those practicing such things are worthy of death, not only do them, but have pleasure in those practicing [them].

The fact that homosexuality (including bisexuality) can be cured (because people have been cured), strongly indicates that homosexuality is a condition of the mind – a condition that people whose minds are in that condition can choose to have correctedor choose not to.

Any statement that God made those people that way (implying deliberate action) – made them such that they could not inherit the Kingdom of God (His Kingdom) – and then bar them because they are as He made them, seems more than a little questionable, and maybe a shade demeaning. Don’t you think?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The question I asked isn't whether it's a sin. It's whether God created the man like that or not?

Ps 51
"For behold!
I was conceived in iniquity...
And in sins did my mother bear me..."

God permits us such an inheritance...
that we find healing for it in repentance...
Unto the 7th generation...

This does not mean that God conceives us in iniquity...
We do just fine in that enterprise all by ourselves!
Those who follow Christ seek, at the end of their days...
To say with Christ: "Behold, I have overcome the world."

Being overwhelmed with passions is a function of the world.

Arsenios

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Tango in Post #5:

1 Corinthians 6:9,10:
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And as partially (but well) quoted by RichWh1 (Post #20) Romans 1:24-32 [emphasis added to focus attention]:

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of [their] hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves.
25 For they changed the truth of God into a lie, and they worshiped and served the created thing more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this cause, God gave them up to dishonorable affections. For even their women changed the natural use into that which is against nature.
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust toward one another; males with males working out shamefulness, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error.
28 And even as they did not think fit to have God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do the things not right,
29 being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; [being] full of envy, murder, quarrels, deceit, evil habits, [becoming] whisperers,
30 backbiters, haters of God, insolent, proud, braggarts, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 undiscerning, perfidious, without natural affection, unforgiving, unmerciful;
32 who, knowing the righteous order of God, that those practicing such things are worthy of death, not only do them, but have pleasure in those practicing [them].

The fact that homosexuality (including bisexuality) can be cured (because people have been cured), strongly indicates that homosexuality is a condition of the mind – a condition that people whose minds are in that condition can choose to have correctedor choose not to.

Any statement that God made those people that way (implying deliberate action) – made them such that they could not inherit the Kingdom of God (His Kingdom) – and then bar them because they are as He made them, seems more than a little questionable, and maybe a shade demeaning. Don’t you think?

Not sure how I missed this when you posted it - apologies for the delay replying.

The trouble with words like "gay" and "homosexual" is that they cover a wide range of things. Someone who is attracted to members of their own sex can be described as gay. Someone who lusts after members of their own sex can be described as gay. Someone who has intimate physical relationships with members of their own sex can be described as gay. Hence the difference between (to use Paul's words) "males with males working out shamefulness" and men who are attracted to other men but choose not to act on that attraction. The passage here also nods towards the physical act rather than the desire - v32 talks of the people who "not only do them but have pleasure in those practicing them".

I think this is also an example of the logical notion that all apples are fruits but not all fruits are apples. People did something, therefore God gave them up to all sorts of things including homosexuality. Does that mean anyone and everyone with homosexual desires must have followed the same path to get there? I would say not necessarily so. If you win a bet with me and I give you the $10 we bet it doesn't logically follow that every other person who gets $10 from me must have won a bet. Maybe they did win a bet, maybe I just gave $10 to a street beggar, or to my friend's child for her birthday, or whatever else. If we observe that A implies B we cannot conclude that B therefore must imply A.

davedajobauk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I think the Pope is 100% right and it is NOT a sin. The old time Bible is wrong. More and more priests and holy people are thinking like the pope. It's time others start looking at this issue more carefully and stop their condemnation of the LGTBQ! This kind of behavior that the gay have has been going on long before the Bible or Church existed and is normal.

I wish to leave this site IMMEDIATELY

May God have mercy on this condonation

:prayer:

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

SilkenBast

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The question I asked isn't whether it's a sin. It's whether God created the man like that or not?

Curious question. If one must ask this in all sincerity, then one must also be of a certain disposition regarding their deity. If this is the Hebrew God, who has condemned homosexual acts as depravity and well departed from His ideal, then creating a person with such desires would not only violate the free willed agency of the person, but it would also call into question both the integrity and loving nature (which cannot exclude good will and the ideal(of what is good)) of God.

My belief is that God intends this for no one. A person's experiences in life, societal influences and choices all play a part. It has nothing to do with God. For the atheist or agnostic, it has nothing to do with Nature either. Sexual intercourse between members of the same sex produces nothing and at least insofar as men are concerned, can have serious health consequences.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think the appropriate response is that God loves you but He will not put up with sin, if you continue you will not see heaven. Love is good but we also must not decieve people into thinking they are ok when the bible clearly states they are not

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you think he was accurate in telling him God made him that way?

Possibly so, IF he meant--and was understood by that person to mean--only that his homosexual impulses are not his fault. Any suggestion that he should act upon them is something else.

This account comes to us, however, exclusively through the statement of the gay man in question. Therefore, I do not think we can assume anything about what the Pope might have said or meant.

Top Bottom