Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This really should not need to be written but it seems that there is a misunderstanding here on the site of what is acceptable and unacceptable in quoting a member's post. We do not have a rule on this but we do want members to understand that to edit what a member has written within a quote to change what he/she said is bearing false witness against him/her and is not going to be tolerated here.

So here are examples of what is allowed and not allowed.

To start we have a post and here is a quote...it's a fake post of course for example only:

Jesus said that all Christians die to self in baptism and they will have eternal life through him only. I don't see why people don't understand how baptism is connected to Jesus? Could you tell me what you think about how eternal life is given?

Here is an edited version of that quote that is acceptable and the reason is because it's not altering the idea of what the member wrote. It is a snip of a section that someone would like to respond to:
I don't see why people can't understand how baptism is connected to Jesus?

Here is an edited version that is NOT acceptable and the reason is because the idea of what the member originally wrote has been altered.:
Jesus said that all Christians die in baptism.

Here is an edited version that is NOT acceptable and the reason is because it has been changed with additional words that the member never said:
Jesus said that only believers should have baptism.

Here is an edited version that is NOT acceptable and the reason is because it snips apart what the member said and pastes portions that were not meant to go together and thus changing the idea of what the member wrote:
Jesus said that all Christians die and people don't understand.

To recap...
You may quote a member's post in full or you may quote a member's post in part so that you may address sections of what the member said.

You may not edit what the person said to change their idea or to add your own words in there.

STAFF will edit member's posts when there are rule violations but we will not change the idea of your post. We will remove offensive words (profanity) or flames.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Once again I need to remind members to NOT edit a quote. If you disagree with what the member said or is implying that you said, you do that in your own response...NOT the quote. Thank you.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Once again I need to remind members to NOT edit a quote. If you disagree with what the member said or is implying that you said, you do that in your own response...NOT the quote. Thank you.

The examples you gave, however, were not merely edited in such a way as to "change their idea." They were flat-out falsified and violated accepted rules of punctuation. There should be no question about the unacceptability of doing that.

Top Bottom