What does the Bible say about the Christian attitude?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How is your attitude as a Christian? Do you respond to questions with flippant remarks? Sarcasm? Flaming? Snide attitude? Holier than thou?

What does the bible say our attitude should be as Christians? I know Paul spoke about how we should respond a few times in his letters.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
How is your attitude as a Christian? Do you respond to questions with flippant remarks? Sarcasm? Flaming? Snide attitude? Holier than thou?

What does the bible say our attitude should be as Christians? I know Paul spoke about how we should respond a few times in his letters.
First, I think there is a difference between attitude and the use of sarcasm, and other forms of showing displeasure. Elijah's comments to the prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel comes to mind. Second, Paul strongly rebuked his fellow Apostle, Peter, in front of others. There is precedence for such actions.
Second, Paul does state: "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification, according to the need of the moment that it may give grace to those who hear." (I believe it's in Ephesians 3) Certainly we/I fail to always measure up.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
First, I think there is a difference between attitude and the use of sarcasm, and other forms of showing displeasure. Elijah's comments to the prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel comes to mind. Second, Paul strongly rebuked his fellow Apostle, Peter, in front of others. There is precedence for such actions.
Second, Paul does state: "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification, according to the need of the moment that it may give grace to those who hear." (I believe it's in Ephesians 3) Certainly we/I fail to always measure up.

Speaking of sarcasm...I have a friend on Facebook who has PTSD from being verbally and physically abused by family as a child. She cannot tolerate sarcasm and it bothers her so much that she gets depressed by a simple comment that others would laugh at. We have to know the person to determine if sarcasm would be well received or if it would do emotional harm to our neighbor. On the internet people often don't care and say Suck it up...but is that loving?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of sarcasm...I have a friend on Facebook who has PTSD from being verbally and physically abused by family as a child. She cannot tolerate sarcasm and it bothers her so much that she gets depressed by a simple comment that others would laugh at. We have to know the person to determine if sarcasm would be well received or if it would do emotional harm to our neighbor. On the internet people often don't care and say Suck it up...but is that loving?
It is interesting how sensitive we have become (good or bad?). I read the dialogue Martin Luther and the Church at Rome had and it is nothing if it is not viciously cutting and straightforward. Were both sides responding inappropriately? It seems that passionate debate is a common human trait that has always been a part of social interaction. Sometimes the appropriate response is to "suck it up."
One of the great things about playing a competitive sport is the intensity of the competition followed by the handshake when someone wins. It's over, now go out and have a beer with everyone. Let it go.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We all know what the bible says, we all fall short of it or try to say its ok but Jesus only used things like that sparingly and in certain situations, can we say the same that it was ok?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is interesting how sensitive we have become (good or bad?). I read the dialogue Martin Luther and the Church at Rome had and it is nothing if it is not viciously cutting and straightforward. Were both sides responding inappropriately? It seems that passionate debate is a common human trait that has always been a part of social interaction. Sometimes the appropriate response is to "suck it up."
One of the great things about playing a competitive sport is the intensity of the competition followed by the handshake when someone wins. It's over, now go out and have a beer with everyone. Let it go.

I'm not sure if people are more sensitive or if it's just easier these days to let people know that they're sensitive because more and more people admit to it too?

Martin Luther said the most deplorable things at times. Have you ever read the book Table Talk where there are pretty much random quotes said by him? He could be vile, for sure.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

My attitude as a Christian is nowhere near where it should be. That's why I thank God that my salvation is contingent on Jesus Christ alone and not on any vile works of my own. Of course we should respond with love when our adversaries attack us, but human nature is to erect a defensive barrier that occasionally manifests as sarcasm, flaming and those other things you mentioned. Of course, even St. Paul himself has been known to act less than temperately when he encountered opposition and he wasn't above rebuking Peter and Barnabas when they tried to act like good Jews and separate themselves from the Gentiles whom they converted when the Judaizers paid them a visit. It's all about grace and the Holy Spirit. Of course we should behave with some self- control and generally ( I like to think) we do, but there are situations that arise that remind us that we are still in a body of sin, even as the Holy Spirit is putting the Old Adam to death.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Phil 2:2-8 comes to mind
2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
some other verses to ponder

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:12-14, NIV

Top Bottom