• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Christian Advice Requested - Thread: What does the Bible say about the Christian attitude?

    1. #1
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,701
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      198,796
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (142,925 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      191,642
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.82%
      Rep Power
      800

      What does the Bible say about the Christian attitude?

      How is your attitude as a Christian? Do you respond to questions with flippant remarks? Sarcasm? Flaming? Snide attitude? Holier than thou?

      What does the bible say our attitude should be as Christians? I know Paul spoke about how we should respond a few times in his letters.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    2. #2
      MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,783
      CH Cash
      15,955
      CH Challenge
      232
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,777
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      10.45%
      Rep Power
      411
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      How is your attitude as a Christian? Do you respond to questions with flippant remarks? Sarcasm? Flaming? Snide attitude? Holier than thou?

      What does the bible say our attitude should be as Christians? I know Paul spoke about how we should respond a few times in his letters.
      First, I think there is a difference between attitude and the use of sarcasm, and other forms of showing displeasure. Elijah's comments to the prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel comes to mind. Second, Paul strongly rebuked his fellow Apostle, Peter, in front of others. There is precedence for such actions.
      Second, Paul does state: "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification, according to the need of the moment that it may give grace to those who hear." (I believe it's in Ephesians 3) Certainly we/I fail to always measure up.

    3. #3
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,701
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      198,796
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (142,925 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      191,642
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.82%
      Rep Power
      800
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      First, I think there is a difference between attitude and the use of sarcasm, and other forms of showing displeasure. Elijah's comments to the prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel comes to mind. Second, Paul strongly rebuked his fellow Apostle, Peter, in front of others. There is precedence for such actions.
      Second, Paul does state: "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification, according to the need of the moment that it may give grace to those who hear." (I believe it's in Ephesians 3) Certainly we/I fail to always measure up.
      Speaking of sarcasm...I have a friend on Facebook who has PTSD from being verbally and physically abused by family as a child. She cannot tolerate sarcasm and it bothers her so much that she gets depressed by a simple comment that others would laugh at. We have to know the person to determine if sarcasm would be well received or if it would do emotional harm to our neighbor. On the internet people often don't care and say Suck it up...but is that loving?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    4. #4
      MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,783
      CH Cash
      15,955
      CH Challenge
      232
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,777
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      10.45%
      Rep Power
      411
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Speaking of sarcasm...I have a friend on Facebook who has PTSD from being verbally and physically abused by family as a child. She cannot tolerate sarcasm and it bothers her so much that she gets depressed by a simple comment that others would laugh at. We have to know the person to determine if sarcasm would be well received or if it would do emotional harm to our neighbor. On the internet people often don't care and say Suck it up...but is that loving?
      It is interesting how sensitive we have become (good or bad?). I read the dialogue Martin Luther and the Church at Rome had and it is nothing if it is not viciously cutting and straightforward. Were both sides responding inappropriately? It seems that passionate debate is a common human trait that has always been a part of social interaction. Sometimes the appropriate response is to "suck it up."
      One of the great things about playing a competitive sport is the intensity of the competition followed by the handshake when someone wins. It's over, now go out and have a beer with everyone. Let it go.

    5. #5
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      12,511
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      5,860
      CH Challenge
      89
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,862,635 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      54,209
      Level
      58
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.33%
      Rep Power
      586
      We all know what the bible says, we all fall short of it or try to say its ok but Jesus only used things like that sparingly and in certain situations, can we say the same that it was ok?
      Isaiah 40:31

    6. Likes jsimms435 liked this post
    7. #6
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,701
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      198,796
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (142,925 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      191,642
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.82%
      Rep Power
      800
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      It is interesting how sensitive we have become (good or bad?). I read the dialogue Martin Luther and the Church at Rome had and it is nothing if it is not viciously cutting and straightforward. Were both sides responding inappropriately? It seems that passionate debate is a common human trait that has always been a part of social interaction. Sometimes the appropriate response is to "suck it up."
      One of the great things about playing a competitive sport is the intensity of the competition followed by the handshake when someone wins. It's over, now go out and have a beer with everyone. Let it go.
      I'm not sure if people are more sensitive or if it's just easier these days to let people know that they're sensitive because more and more people admit to it too?

      Martin Luther said the most deplorable things at times. Have you ever read the book Table Talk where there are pretty much random quotes said by him? He could be vile, for sure.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    8. #7
      Confessional Lutheran's Avatar
      Confessional Lutheran is offline Prodigy Member
      44
      Divorced
      John 15:5
       
      Mood:
      Innocent
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Location
      Northern Virginia
      Posts
      755
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      3,360
      CH Challenge
      11
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      11,488
      Level
      31
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      62.14%
      Rep Power
      254
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      How is your attitude as a Christian? Do you respond to questions with flippant remarks? Sarcasm? Flaming? Snide attitude? Holier than thou?

      What does the bible say our attitude should be as Christians? I know Paul spoke about how we should respond a few times in his letters.
      My attitude as a Christian is nowhere near where it should be. That's why I thank God that my salvation is contingent on Jesus Christ alone and not on any vile works of my own. Of course we should respond with love when our adversaries attack us, but human nature is to erect a defensive barrier that occasionally manifests as sarcasm, flaming and those other things you mentioned. Of course, even St. Paul himself has been known to act less than temperately when he encountered opposition and he wasn't above rebuking Peter and Barnabas when they tried to act like good Jews and separate themselves from the Gentiles whom they converted when the Judaizers paid them a visit. It's all about grace and the Holy Spirit. Of course we should behave with some self- control and generally ( I like to think) we do, but there are situations that arise that remind us that we are still in a body of sin, even as the Holy Spirit is putting the Old Adam to death.

    9. Likes Lämmchen, MennoSota liked this post
    10. #8
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,668
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,174
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      14,996
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.89%
      Rep Power
      426
      Phil 2:2-8 comes to mind
      2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

      5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

      6 Who, being in very nature God,
      did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
      7 rather, he made himself nothing
      by taking the very nature of a servant,
      being made in human likeness.
      8 And being found in appearance as a man,
      he humbled himself
      by becoming obedient to death—
      even death on a cross!

    11. #9
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,668
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,174
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      14,996
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.89%
      Rep Power
      426
      some other verses to ponder

      12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
      Colossians 3:12-14, NIV

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •