Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Totally agree and if you are in tune with the Holy Spirit then you cna know Gods will for your life just as Paul knew that his suffering was for Christs sake, there was no question or guessing about it. Also a key to answered prayer, to pray according to Gods will for your life and be in tune with it

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yet human suffering is not a loss
because [as] the suffering of the man, Jesus Christ,
bought salvation for all who are in him
so too for those who are in Christ
their suffering can work the healing and salvation of others;

that is what saint Paul meant when he wrote
that his sufferings for the sake of the gospel
were a part of completing the sufferings of Christ.

Suffering for others is a good thing...
And what, exactly, is that part of suffering?
Which is left behind in the sufferings of Christ??

Does anyone here have a clue?

Arsenios

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Suffering for others is a good thing...
And what, exactly, is that part of suffering?
Which is left behind in the sufferings of Christ??

Does anyone here have a clue?

Arsenios
Simpole He paid the price for our sins, He paid the price for our healing, He bought and paid for us (redemtion), he was made poor so that we may be made rich ( spiritual), so much that was bought and paid for by His sacrifice.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Simple -
He paid the price for our sins,
He paid the price for our healing,
He bought and paid for us (redemtion),
He was made poor so that we may be made rich ( spiritual),
so much that was bought and paid for by His sacrifice.

Got that - But what was left behind of His sufferings?

Arsenios

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Got that - But what was left behind of His sufferings?

Arsenios
Blessed are those who are persecuted for my names sake, are you thinking of that

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Blessed are those who are persecuted for my names sake, are you thinking of that

Yes...

What He left behind of His suffering for us...
is YOUR suffering in following Him...

That is why Paul writes: "I am rejoicing in my sufferings for you..."

Nobody seems to get that...

The Joy of All Who Sorrow...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Jesus and his apostles were reviled by the religious authorities of his times. Caiaphas mocked Jesus, and you mock the authors of the Catechism of the Council of Trent. That is to be expected. It shows what motivates your posts.

But the authors of the Catechism of Pius V were men of noted scholarship, godly lives, and sound minds. They were men who spoke truthfully of the gospel of Jesus Christ and wanted to reform the faults in the clergy of their time and to educate the faithful so that the good news of Jesus Christ would shine brightly for the salvation of souls. The work was supervised by Saint Carlo Borromeo.

The Necessity Of Religious Instruction
Such is the nature of the human mind and intellect that, although by means of diligent and laborious enquiry it has of itself investigated and discovered many other things pertaining to a knowledge of divine truths; yet guided by its natural lights it never could have known or perceived most of those things by which is attained eternal salvation, the principal end of man's creation and formation to the image and likeness of God.

It is true that the invisible things of God from the creation of the world are, as the Apostle teaches, clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made: his eternal power also, and divinity. But the mystery which hath been hidden from ages and generations so far transcends the reach of man's understanding, that were it not made manifest by God to His Saints, to whom He willed to make known by the gift of faith, the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ, man could by no effort attain to such wisdom.

But, as faith comes by hearing, it is clear how necessary at all times for the attainment of eternal salvation has been the labour and faithful ministry of an authorised teacher; for it is written, how shall they hear, without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they be sent?

And, indeed, never, from the very creation of the world, has God, most merciful and benignant, been wanting to His own; but at sundry times and in divers manners spoke to the fathers by the prophets, and pointed out to them in a manner suited to the times and circumstances, a sure and direct path to the happiness of heaven. But, as He had foretold that He would give a teacher of justice to be the light of the Gentiles, that His salvation might reach even to the ends of the earth, in these last days he hath spoken to us by his Son, whom also by a voice from heaven, from the excellent glory, He has commanded all to hear and to obey. Furthermore, the Son gave some to be apostles, and some prophets, and others pastors and teachers, to announce the word of life; that we might not be carried about like children tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine, but holding fast to the firm foundation of the faith, we might be built together into an habitation of God in the Spirit.

Lest any should receive the Word of God from the ministers of the Church, not as the word of Christ, which it really is, but as the word of man, the same Saviour has ordained that their ministry should be invested with so great authority that He says to them: He that hears you, hears me; and he that despises you despises me. These words He spoke not only of those to whom His words were addressed, but likewise of all who, by legitimate succession, should discharge the ministry of the word, promising to be with them all days even to the consummation of the world.
The Nature of this Work
The Fathers, therefore, of the General Council of Trent, anxious to apply some healing remedy to so great and pernicious an evil, were not satisfied with having decided the more important points of Catholic doctrine against the heresies of our times, but deemed it further necessary to issue, for the instruction of the faithful in the very rudiments of faith, a form and method to be followed in all churches by those to whom are lawfully entrusted the duties of pastor and teacher.

To works of this kind many, it is true, had already given their attention, and earned the reputation of great piety and learning. But the Fathers deemed it of the first importance that a work should appear, sanctioned by the authority of the Council, from which pastors and all others on whom the duty of imparting instruction devolves, may be able to seek and find reliable matter for the edification of the faithful; that, as there is one Lord, one faith, there may also be one standard and prescribed form of propounding the dogmas of faith, and instructing Christians in all the duties of piety.

As, therefore, the design of the work embraces a variety of matters, it cannot be supposed that the Council intended that in one volume all the dogmas of Christianity should be explained with that minuteness of detail to be found in the works of those who profess to treat the teaching and doctrines of religion in their entirety. Such a task would be one of almost endless labour, and manifestly ill suited to attain the proposed end. But, having undertaken to instruct pastors and such as have care of souls in those things that belong peculiarly to the pastoral office and are accommodated to the capacity of the faithful, the Council intended that such things only should be treated of as might assist the pious zeal of pastors in discharging the duty of instruction, should they not be very familiar with the more abstruse questions of theology.
The Ends of Religious Instruction
Hence, before we proceed to develop in detail the various parts of this summary of doctrine, our purpose requires that we premise a few observations which the pastor should consider and bear in mind in order to know to what end, as it were, all his plans and labours and efforts are to be directed, and how this desired end may be more easily attained.
Knowledge Of Christ
The first thing is ever to recollect that all Christian knowledge is reduced to one single head, or rather, to use the words of the Apostle, this is eternal life: That they may know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. A teacher in the Church should, therefore, use his best endeavours that the faithful earnestly desire to know Jesus Christ, and him crucified, that they be firmly convinced, and with the most heartfelt piety and devotion believe, that there is no other name under heaven given to men, whereby we must be saved, for he is the propitiation for our sins.
Observance Of The Commandments
But since by this we know that we have known him, if we keep his commandments, the next consideration, and one intimately connected with the preceding, is to press also upon the attention of the faithful that their lives are not to be wasted in ease and indolence, but that we are to walk even as he walked, and pursue with all earnestness, justice, godliness, faith, charity, patience, mildness; for He gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and might cleanse to himself a people acceptable, a pursuer of good works. These things the Apostle commands pastors to speak and exhort.
Love Of God
But as our Lord and Saviour has not only declared, but has also proved by His own example, that the Law and the Prophets depend on love, and as, according to the Apostle, charity is the end of the commandment, and the fulfilment of the law, it is unquestionably a chief duty of the pastor to use the utmost diligence to excite the faithful to a love of the infinite goodness of God towards us, that, burning with a sort of divine ardour, they may be powerfully attracted to the supreme and allperfect good, to adhere to which is true and solid happiness, as is fully experienced by him who can say with the Prophet: What have I in heaven? and besides thee what do I desire upon earth?
This, assuredly, is that more excellent way pointed out by the Apostle when he sums up all his doctrines and instructions in charity, which never falleth away. For whatever is proposed by the pastor, whether it be the exercise of faith, of hope, or of some moral virtue, the love of our Lord should at the same time be so strongly insisted upon as to show clearly that all the works of perfect Christian virtue can have no other origin, no other end than divine love.​
MC, I don't waste my time on the writing of heretics like pastor pius. Share God's word and I will read it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
MC, I don't waste my time on the writing of heretics like pastor pius. Share God's word and I will read it.

I could say the same thing about your posts but good manners and charity cause me to refrain.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I could say the same thing about your posts but good manners and charity cause me to refrain.
Let loose, MC, but let loose with scripture rather than the weak arguments of Rome.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Let loose, MC, but let loose with scripture rather than the weak arguments of Rome.

I wonder if the serpent whispered that advice to Eve before she had a bite of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?

I will not take your advice on this matter, brother Mennosota.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if the serpent whispered that advice to Eve before she had a bite of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?

I will not take your advice on this matter, brother Mennosota.
No scripture. That's too bad.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No scripture. That's too bad.

There is scripture, holy scripture, but you did not see it.

"let loose" you wrote.
Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat: but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3:1-5)
Let loose, was Satan's advice. Be free of the restraint that God called you to exercise and go on, eat that fruit. Was Satan's message.

No thank you brother Mennosota, I will not take that advice.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
There is scripture, holy scripture, but you did not see it.

"let loose" you wrote.
Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat: but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3:1-5)
Let loose, was Satan's advice. Be free of the restraint that God called you to exercise and go on, eat that fruit. Was Satan's message.

No thank you brother Mennosota, I will not take that advice.
Do you often quote out of context?
No need to answer, I know you do.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Do you often quote out of context?
No need to answer, I know you do.

Tell me the context for Genesis 3:1-5, I am wondering how i managed to miss the context. Was it because I did not quote Genesis 1:1-3:5? or did I need more context, Genesis 1:1-12:1 perhaps?

The paragraph is sufficient context for Christians who already know the story of the creation and the fall, is it not?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Tell me the context for Genesis 3:1-5, I am wondering how i managed to miss the context. Was it because I did not quote Genesis 1:1-3:5? or did I need more context, Genesis 1:1-12:1 perhaps?

The paragraph is sufficient context for Christians who already know the story of the creation and the fall, is it not?
It has nothing to do with your whining, however.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It has nothing to do with your whining, however.

My brother - This kind of smirkish arrogance is very unbecoming...

Attend to the Holy Words of our Lord:

Matthew 11:29
Take My yoke upon you,
and learn of Me;
for I am meek and lowly in heart:
and ye shall find rest
unto your souls.

Please take this yoke upon yourself...

Arsenios

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
:flame:

Can anyone join in this flamefest or is it limited a few of y'all? hehe

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
:flame:

Can anyone join in this flamefest or is it limited a few of y'all? hehe

I did not write those words to flame, but to invite Menno to turn from flaming...

My concern is for him, and MC will not reply, being the one flamed...

Somebody needs to care about Menno...

His attacks on MC are not good for him...

I happen to care...

And I pray for him...

Will you please pray for him with me?

And will you pray for me?

I believe Menno prays for me as well...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
My brother - This kind of smirkish arrogance is very unbecoming...

Attend to the Holy Words of our Lord:

Matthew 11:29
Take My yoke upon you,
and learn of Me;
for I am meek and lowly in heart:
and ye shall find rest
unto your souls.

Please take this yoke upon yourself...

Arsenios
Arsenio, what a perfect example of how you take the scriptures out of context to present a fallacious prooftext. Thank you for making it so apparent to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom