The Lord's Table

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This study will examine if the Lord's table is the same as the Lord's supper.
In the verses below we see the setting for the table is the sanctuary.

44:15 But the priests the Levites, the sons of Zadok, that kept the charge of my sanctuary when the children of Israel went astray from me, they shall come near to me to minister unto me, and they shall stand before me to offer unto me the fat and the blood, saith the Lord GOD:

44:16 They shall enter into my sanctuary, and they shall come near to my table, to minister unto me, and they shall keep my charge. Ezekiel 44:15-16

Showbread in the passage below represents Christ, who was broken for us. The showbread is set upon table.
25:30 And thou shalt set upon the table showbread before me always. Exodus 25:30
The verse below speaks to the coming kingdom, in which Israel will reign with Christ and be a blessing to the nations on earth. The table set in the kingdom will be to commune with Christ and the twelve apostles will judge Israel.

22:30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Luke 22:30

Paul is admonishing the believers below that they can't be partakers of Christ and his kingdom by partaking of his provision at the table and at the same time have fellowship with the idolatry of devils.
10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 1 Corinthians 10:21

In the Lord's supper the cup represents his blood which was shed to forgive all sin and provide the new covenant.
Below the cup is the cup of the provision for salvation.

116:13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. Psalms 116:13

The Lord's table is where we have fellowship in and with Christ, it is the celebration of the provision that is made for the new covenant, for Israel and the body of Christ.

The Lord's supper is a memorial of Christ's body and blood sacrifice which put the new covenant in motion. It is not the feast of unleavened bread and the passover sacrifice.

Both openly proclaim the victory Christ gave us over sin and death and both share in breaking bread and the cup of blessing. The Lord's table and supper appear to me, to be one and the same.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This study will examine if the Lord's table is the same as the Lord's supper.
In the verses below we see the setting for the table is the sanctuary...

The Lord's table is where we have fellowship in and with Christ, it is the celebration of the provision that is made for the new covenant, for Israel and the body of Christ.
That's the only use of the term table in connection with Holy Communion that I have ever heard. Is there, in fact, any controversy about this?

It (the Lords Supper) is not the feast of unleavened bread and the passover sacrifice.
I cannot think of a single Christian denomination (barring a few cults) which thinks that it IS. So, again, is this actually something that's controversial?

The Lord's table and supper appear to me, to be one and the same.
Theyre not. The Table is where the elements are prepared, and the Supper is the distribution and consuming of the bread and wine.

Top Bottom