• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • View Poll Results: Do you have assurance that you will have everlasting life with God?

Voters
    8. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

8 100.00%
    • No

0 0%
    • I am not sure

0 0%
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Do you have assurance that you will have everlasting life with God?

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (104,387 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.98%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      The question is interesting. It amounts to saying "I am confident that my faith is real enough to warrant confidence that I shall go to heaven and if works play a role in justification then my works are good enough to warrant heaven if works do not play any role whatever then my faith regardless of my works is enough to warrant my entry to heaven so I am heaven bound no matter how I behave and what I say and what theology I support because my faith alone warrants my entry to heaven!"

There was a church council that answered this question. It did a fairly good job too. Saying "
      But though it is necessary to believe that sins neither are remitted nor ever have been remitted except gratuitously by divine mercy for Christ's sake, yet it must not be said that sins are forgiven or have been forgiven to anyone who boasts of his confidence and certainty of the remission of his sins, resting on that alone, though among heretics and schismatics this vain and ungodly confidence may be and in our troubled times indeed is found and preached with untiring fury against the Catholic Church.

Moreover, it must not be maintained, that they who are truly justified must needs, without any doubt whatever, convince themselves that they are justified, and that no one is absolved from sins and justified except he that believes with certainty that he is absolved and justified, and that absolution and justification are effected by this faith alone, as if he who does not believe this, doubts the promises of God and the efficacy of the death and resurrection of Christ.

For as no pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments, so each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with the certainty of faith, which cannot be subject to error, that he has obtained the grace of God.
      "
      Actually, saying you have assurance you'll have everlasting life with God shows trust in God to save.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.78%
      Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
      My answer isn't up in the poll. My answer is it doesn't matter because heaven is here on earth. I see things in a metaphorical sense and different than most of you.
      No doubt you have a portrait of Belinda Carlisle next to your bed...
      I can't help but wonder if a person living in war torn Syria disagrees with your proposition.

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.78%
      God says that those whom he chooses are sealed with the Spirit and have been chosen from before the foundation of the world. From God's perspective there is assurance. However, we all live in this corrupted body and we sin on a daily basis. It seems presumptuous to declare that I have arrived in heaven while the fight rages on.
      I am confident in my God. It's myself of which I have great doubts.
      Has God chosen me? I hope so. If so, he will never leave men or forsake me. If not, I am the most to be pitied.

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Actually, saying you have assurance you'll have everlasting life with God shows trust in God to save.
      No pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments. Each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with absolute certainty - which cannot be subject to error - that he has obtained the grace of God.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (104,387 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.98%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      No pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments. Each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with absolute certainty - which cannot be subject to error - that he has obtained the grace of God.
      To those who look to their sins...they should remember that Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of those sins, for the things we have done and will do and the things we should have done but haven't. God has you covered...in fact, you're covered in Christ's righteousness so there IS assurance if you trust in that.

Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

I have full certainty because of what God says in the scriptures that He has not forsaken me and that I shall have eternal life. It depends not on me...but all because of Him.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

6. Likes Josiah, Confessional Lutheran liked this post
      Confessional Lutheran is online now Prodigy Member
      Divorced
      John 15:5

Mood:
      Piratey

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.8%
      Yes, I am convinced that the mercy of God is greater even than the heavy weight of my sins, which Jesus bore when He went to the Cross. From the Bible and from the Lutheran Confessions, here are some verses to back them up: Mark 16:16, John 6:37, John 10:28, Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, 1 Peter 2:24, Titus 3:5-7, Philippians 2:13 ( from the Bible). From the Lutheran Confessions we have: Article IV ( Augsburg Confession), Article IV ( Apology of the Augsburg Confession), Part III, Article XIII ( Smalcald Articles), Article III ( Epitome of the Formula of Concord) and Article III ( Solid Declaration of the Formula of Concord) www.bookofconcord.org.
      Last edited by Confessional Lutheran; 05-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.

8. Likes Lämmchen, Josiah liked this post
      TangledWeb is offline Rookie Member
      In Relationship
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      96.91%
      My answer to the question is a resounding Yes and I don't think that I would want to stick around as a believer if I wasn't certain because you know what? That would mean that God didn't want me to be certain and that's not the god I would want to keep believing in. God isn't like the guy dangling a carrot in front of the donkey to get him to follow him and maybe that donkey won't get the carrot afterall? No way.

Krissy Cakes is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Geeky

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.3%
      Of course I believe it! Who wouldn't?

Hidden Content

█ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂▂
      ▂▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █​

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.93%
      Quote Originally Posted by Krissy Cakes View Post
      Of course I believe it! Who wouldn't?

ANY who hold that it depends (even partly) on self. Even if it's 99% Jesus and 1% self. That one must live in constant terror and fear they they have not (or are not) doing their part sufficiently. The ONLY ones that can have ANY assurance or rest AT
      ALL are those who hold that Jesus is the Savior (not self) and so Jesus does the saving (not self).
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

12. Likes Confessional Lutheran, Lämmchen liked this post
      Arsenios is online now Prodigy Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.33%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      Romans 8:1 tells us that no condemnation for those who are in Christ.
      Then I had better remain in Christ and not be wandering off none...

Romans 8 also speaks about how nothing can separate us from the Love of God,
      Then I don't gotta worry about no thing...

so because of what he has done I am saved and can have assurance
      Reckon I can do purty much what I want now fer sure...

Work's all done and I'm one of the elect...

Unlike that reprobate sinner over there!

Glad we all agree together one with each other altogether!

Arsenios