Do you have assurance that you will have everlasting life with God?

Do you have assurance that you will have everlasting life with God?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you have assurance that you will have everlasting life with God? This is a poll and the options are Yes, No and I am not sure.

This is begun because of the Justification thread where we have members (who believe that works are a part of Justification) are uncertain of their salvation.

If you vote, please tell us why and back it up with scripture.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I voted yes and there are multiple verses of scripture I can use but the easiest one to type is John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can NEVER be confident if justification depended upon me even 0.000000000000000000001%

But it depends on Jesus 100.000000000000000000%

Jesus is the Savior. Not me.

Thus, I can have absolute assurance.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Romans 8:1 tells us that no condemnation for those who are in Christ. Romans 8 also speaks about how nothing can separate us from the Love of God, so because of what he has done I am saved and can have assurance

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8:1 tells us that no condemnation for those who are in Christ. Romans 8 also speaks about how nothing can separate us from the Love of God, so because of what he has done I am saved and can have assurance
What he said

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
There are so many verses that assure those whom God has chosen. I would not be surprised if every book in the Bible has something that gives us assurance of God's promise to keep us.
Colossians 1:12-14
[12]He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.
[13]For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son,
[14]who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.

All God. None of me.

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Do you have assurance that you will have everlasting life with God? This is a poll and the options are Yes, No and I am not sure.

This is begun because of the Justification thread where we have members (who believe that works are a part of Justification) are uncertain of their salvation.

Works are part of sanctification, not justification. Yes, I am assured of my salvation. We are saved by grace through faith to do works.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:8*-‬10 NIV

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
My answer isn't up in the poll. My answer is it doesn't matter because heaven is here on earth. I see things in a metaphorical sense and different than most of you.:peace:

Last edited:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Of course I do! And I'll meet you all there! Hallelujah!

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The question is interesting. It amounts to saying "I am confident that my faith is real enough to warrant confidence that I shall go to heaven and if works play a role in justification then my works are good enough to warrant heaven if works do not play any role whatever then my faith regardless of my works is enough to warrant my entry to heaven so I am heaven bound no matter how I behave and what I say and what theology I support because my faith alone warrants my entry to heaven!"

There was a church council that answered this question. It did a fairly good job too. Saying "
But though it is necessary to believe that sins neither are remitted nor ever have been remitted except gratuitously by divine mercy for Christ's sake, yet it must not be said that sins are forgiven or have been forgiven to anyone who boasts of his confidence and certainty of the remission of his sins, resting on that alone, though among heretics and schismatics this vain and ungodly confidence may be and in our troubled times indeed is found and preached with untiring fury against the Catholic Church.

Moreover, it must not be maintained, that they who are truly justified must needs, without any doubt whatever, convince themselves that they are justified, and that no one is absolved from sins and justified except he that believes with certainty that he is absolved and justified, and that absolution and justification are effected by this faith alone, as if he who does not believe this, doubts the promises of God and the efficacy of the death and resurrection of Christ.

For as no pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments, so each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with the certainty of faith, which cannot be subject to error, that he has obtained the grace of God.​
"

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The question is interesting. It amounts to saying "I am confident that my faith is real enough to warrant confidence that I shall go to heaven and if works play a role in justification then my works are good enough to warrant heaven if works do not play any role whatever then my faith regardless of my works is enough to warrant my entry to heaven so I am heaven bound no matter how I behave and what I say and what theology I support because my faith alone warrants my entry to heaven!"

There was a church council that answered this question. It did a fairly good job too. Saying "
But though it is necessary to believe that sins neither are remitted nor ever have been remitted except gratuitously by divine mercy for Christ's sake, yet it must not be said that sins are forgiven or have been forgiven to anyone who boasts of his confidence and certainty of the remission of his sins, resting on that alone, though among heretics and schismatics this vain and ungodly confidence may be and in our troubled times indeed is found and preached with untiring fury against the Catholic Church.

Moreover, it must not be maintained, that they who are truly justified must needs, without any doubt whatever, convince themselves that they are justified, and that no one is absolved from sins and justified except he that believes with certainty that he is absolved and justified, and that absolution and justification are effected by this faith alone, as if he who does not believe this, doubts the promises of God and the efficacy of the death and resurrection of Christ.

For as no pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments, so each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with the certainty of faith, which cannot be subject to error, that he has obtained the grace of God.​
"

Actually, saying you have assurance you'll have everlasting life with God shows trust in God to save.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
My answer isn't up in the poll. My answer is it doesn't matter because heaven is here on earth. I see things in a metaphorical sense and different than most of you.:peace:
No doubt you have a portrait of Belinda Carlisle next to your bed...[emoji41]
I can't help but wonder if a person living in war torn Syria disagrees with your proposition. [emoji44]

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
God says that those whom he chooses are sealed with the Spirit and have been chosen from before the foundation of the world. From God's perspective there is assurance. However, we all live in this corrupted body and we sin on a daily basis. It seems presumptuous to declare that I have arrived in heaven while the fight rages on.
I am confident in my God. It's myself of which I have great doubts.
Has God chosen me? I hope so. If so, he will never leave men or forsake me. If not, I am the most to be pitied.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Actually, saying you have assurance you'll have everlasting life with God shows trust in God to save.

No pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments. Each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with absolute certainty - which cannot be subject to error - that he has obtained the grace of God.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No pious person ought to doubt the mercy of God, the merit of Christ and the virtue and efficacy of the sacraments. Each one, when he considers himself and his own weakness and indisposition, may have fear and apprehension concerning his own grace, since no one can know with absolute certainty - which cannot be subject to error - that he has obtained the grace of God.

To those who look to their sins...they should remember that Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of those sins, for the things we have done and will do and the things we should have done but haven't. God has you covered...in fact, you're covered in Christ's righteousness so there IS assurance if you trust in that.

Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

I have full certainty because of what God says in the scriptures that He has not forsaken me and that I shall have eternal life. It depends not on me...but all because of Him.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Yes, I am convinced that the mercy of God is greater even than the heavy weight of my sins, which Jesus bore when He went to the Cross. From the Bible and from the Lutheran Confessions, here are some verses to back them up: Mark 16:16, John 6:37, John 10:28, Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, 1 Peter 2:24, Titus 3:5-7, Philippians 2:13 ( from the Bible). From the Lutheran Confessions we have: Article IV ( Augsburg Confession), Article IV ( Apology of the Augsburg Confession), Part III, Article XIII ( Smalcald Articles), Article III ( Epitome of the Formula of Concord) and Article III ( Solid Declaration of the Formula of Concord) www.bookofconcord.org.

Last edited:

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
My answer to the question is a resounding Yes and I don't think that I would want to stick around as a believer if I wasn't certain because you know what? That would mean that God didn't want me to be certain and that's not the god I would want to keep believing in. God isn't like the guy dangling a carrot in front of the donkey to get him to follow him and maybe that donkey won't get the carrot afterall? No way.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course I believe it! Who wouldn't?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course I believe it! Who wouldn't?

ANY who hold that it depends (even partly) on self. Even if it's 99% Jesus and 1% self. That one must live in constant terror and fear they they have not (or are not) doing their part sufficiently. The ONLY ones that can have ANY assurance or rest AT
ALL are those who hold that Jesus is the Savior (not self) and so Jesus does the saving (not self).

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8:1 tells us that no condemnation for those who are in Christ.

Then I had better remain in Christ and not be wandering off none...

Romans 8 also speaks about how nothing can separate us from the Love of God,

Then I don't gotta worry about no thing...

so because of what he has done I am saved and can have assurance

Reckon I can do purty much what I want now fer sure...

Work's all done and I'm one of the elect...

Unlike that reprobate sinner over there!

Glad we all agree together one with each other altogether!

Arsenios

Top Bottom