• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: There really are Protestants who say "The Bible is God"

ImaginaryDay2 is online now Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      O Lord, You keep safe both man
      and animal.

Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      Canada
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.56%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      The Bible is the closest thing we have to God and indeed the Word IS God. Or at least knowing the word is knowing God, a physical bible in your hand is obsolete until you use it. Without the Bible we would all be affirming that Shiva or Allah or whatever is the god.
      The word became flesh indeed, its an instrument and the instrument to come to know God. The word is God... So its not too farfetched to say the bible is God "in a sense"

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
      This is the argument being used in the link to the other forum. And it should be rejected. The Word of God and the word of God need to be recognized as separate and distinct. Christ - the Word - was God made flesh. His word is truth, and those truths are contained in the word of God - the bible. Yet they are distinct and not on the same level. Elevating them is nowhere supported in that word, or by the Word.
      I Hope This HelpsTM

2. Likes Arsenios liked this post
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,322,045 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      32.31%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      @MoreCoffee, do you disagree with this statement?
      "So what do I mean? I mean that the Bible is the very speech of God and that his speech cannot be easily separated from his person."
      I can't help thinking that the best possible interpretation is that someone is going for a headline that will shock in the hope of subsequently qualifying it later.

To map his comparison onto a human analogy, if I write a letter to you and mail it to you, those words may have come from me and express something of who and what I am but to say that the letter is me is patently absurd.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.78%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      @MoreCoffee, do you disagree with this statement?
      "So what do I mean? I mean that the Bible is the very speech of God and that his speech cannot be easily separated from his person."

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I can't help thinking that the best possible interpretation is that someone is going for a headline that will shock in the hope of subsequently qualifying it later.

To map his comparison onto a human analogy, if I write a letter to you and mail it to you, those words may have come from me and express something of who and what I am but to say that the letter is me is patently absurd.
      In the quote, did he say the letter is God?
      He said, "It is the very speech of God."
      The Bible is not God. We can agree on that. But, is it the word (speech) of God written down?

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Exodus contains words spoken by God in the ten commandments but most passages in holy scripture do not contain verbatim quotes of God speaking. It is not wrong to say that the holy scriptures are the word of God or a word from God since that is essentially true but it would be wrong to assert that every word in the holy scriptures was spoken by God. There are several passages where Satan speaks and no Christian worth his/her salt would say that Satan is God. For similar reasons no Christian with his/her salt would assert that "the Bible is God" as the thread starter in the other place did. That notion is heresy through and through. The thread ought to have been removed as trolling by the moderators in the other place but that has not happened and the thread appears to have galvanised opinions with most opposing the idiotic proposition in the title and a few supporting it. For me, as a Catholic Christian, it is astonishing that anybody would ever think to say that "The Bible is God" even as a little bit of trolling.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

6. Likes tango liked this post
      MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.78%
      Yes, all scripture is given by inspiration of God, but it is not God himself. Scripture reveals the nature of God via God himself, but scripture is not God.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      I have no idea what "scripture reveals the nature of God via God" means. It reads as gibberish even though the words are English. Perhaps you'll explain what you intended that set of words to mean.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Cassia is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      ~~~

Mood:
      Happy

Country
      Canada
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,332 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.65%
      The bible is the only record of God in the whole universe. And we're told to be relationally-one with Him. How is that possible w/o the bible? In knowing who God is one must study the bible to find out ... simply because that information is nowhere else to be found.
      To avoid perversion of knowledge of who He is one must learn from His God-breathed revelation found in the Bible, essentially and foundationally, to have any intimate walk with God. The record that is in the Bible is the closest we will ever come to knowing who God is. Once known then His voice becomes unmistakable, yet intrically tied to the biblical message.
      Then ours becomes one more of the human recordings of relationships with God that began it's recordings in the Bible. From visable to invisable is seen in the upside down Kingdom of our Lord Jesus as He comes forth from the unseen to the seen, recorded biblically for us in types and shadows of God, hidden in Him, the Bible.
      Hypostasis as the essence of God, also being the definition of God, leaves the tracings of Him on Bible pages. His breath is that essence. Breath brings new life. But it is God who decides the one reading (or hearing) worthy to find Him there and whether to be uniquely tied with Him within that foundation.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Paul is misinterpreted by those into the letter of the law
      and correctly interpreted by those into the spirit of the law.
      ~~~~~

10. Likes psalms 91 liked this post
      hedrick is offline Apprentice Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.12%
      Calvin saw an analogy between the Incarnation and Scripture. Scripture is a human work, but it is also God's word. When properly used, the analogy can actually be helpful. But this seems to be pushing it further, to say that the Bible is the inliberation of the Logos, the Word made book. While I'm not aware of any historical heresy that quite matches this, it seems to me that a second physical form of the Word contradicts the uniqueness of the Incarnation, and should properly be considered a form of idolatry. I'm tempted to call this the pumpkinification of Scripture.

hedrick is offline Apprentice Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.12%
      It's worth noting that the other Protestants in the discussion weren't receptive to this idea.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by hedrick View Post
      It's worth noting that the other Protestants in the discussion weren't receptive to this idea.
      While it is true that many Protestants in the thread did oppose the crazy-heretical title ("The Bible is God") it is also true that some supported it.