• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: There really are Protestants who say "The Bible is God"

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%

There really are Protestants who say "The Bible is God"

There really are Protestants who say "The Bible is God".

I used to think that such claims were coming from Catholics and other people who had an exaggerated idea about what Protestants say about the bible and how they venerate it but evidently I was wrong. On the other forum, the one which many here have come from, there is a thread entitled "The Bible is God" and the chap who started it is a Presbyterian and he is serious about the claim though he does "qualify" it. The thread in the other place is here - click this link.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

kiwimac is offline Rookie Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      New Zealand
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      44.6%
      I have argued with KJV-Onlyists with similar beliefs.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
      I have argued with KJV-Onlyists with similar beliefs.
      Holy scripture does warn about God sending strong delusions upon people who refuse to love what is true.

2Thess 2:5 Do you not remember, I spoke of it when I was still with you? 6 But you, also, know, what prevents him from appearing, until his due time. 7 The mystery of sin is already at work, but the one who restrains it, at present, has to be taken away. 8 Then, the wicked one will appear, whom the Lord is to sweep away, with the breath of his mouth, and destroy, in the splendour of his coming. 9 This lawless one will appear, with the power of Satan, performing miracles and wonderful signs, at the service of deception. 10 All the deceits of evil will then be used, for the ruin of those who refused to love truth, and be saved. 11 This is why God will send them the power of delusion, that they may believe what is false. 12 So all those who chose wickedness, instead of believing the truth, will be condemned.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.17%
      The Bible is the closest thing we have to God and indeed the Word IS God. Or at least knowing the word is knowing God, a physical bible in your hand is obsolete until you use it. Without the Bible we would all be affirming that Shiva or Allah or whatever is the god.
      The word became flesh indeed, its an instrument and the instrument to come to know God. The word is God... So its not too farfetched to say the bible is God "in a sense"

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      The Bible is the closest thing we have to God and indeed the Word IS God. Or at least knowing the word is knowing God, a physical bible in your hand is obsolete until you use it. Without the Bible we would all be affirming that Shiva or Allah or whatever is the god.
      The word became flesh indeed, its an instrument and the instrument to come to know God. The word is God... So its not too farfetched to say the bible is God "in a sense"

The bible may be the closest thing that you think that you have to God. That is not my perspective. I have both the scriptures and the Word made flesh in the holy Eucharist. The first teaches and the second gives life.

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      The bible may be the closest thing that you think that you have to God. That is not my perspective. I have both the scriptures and the Word made flesh in the holy Eucharist. The first teaches and the second gives life.
      No offense but Latin has superstition engrained in their traditions, for example down the in valley near mexico they have many wafer superstitions and importance other than any thing to do with God. The Body is his sinless body that was sacrificed and atoned for our sins, we accept the body when we accept his sacrifice and reward for us, the blood is his testimony... This is confirmed in scripture YET because God works by both literal and symbolic means you (why else we he say that?) but did he eat his own body? To me its purely symbolic just as many many things are in the bible and churches can get carried away and drift a bit when they base their teachings around literal symbology, I surely wouldnt want o to literally be baptised in fire. This is all my opinion tho, I dont mind going to a Catholic church and taking the Eucharist and making the sign of the cross, because to me its symbolic... I dont think im literally eating his flesh since he is heaven and wafers are made in ice cream cone factories. No offense I just see symbology more than strict Catholic dogma, that I am eating Jesus Christ when again the body is his church (his temple and our temple as his) and his sacrifice for us and our sins by the blood of which is his testimony (makes brilliant sense)

jsimms435 is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      96.87%
      He goes on to qualify this statement to say the Bible is the speech of God. I think the initial statement is confusing and really unclear. We don't worship the Bible.

8. Likes Josiah liked this post

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      He goes on to qualify this statement to say the Bible is the speech of God. I think the initial statement is confusing and really unclear. We don't worship the Bible.
      I know I do not worship the bible but I am not sure about a chap who says "The Bible is God" even after he adds "qualifications". The statement "The Bible is God" is so deeply heretical that is cannot be entertained by any of the faithful without serious sin.

Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      19.77%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      There really are Protestants who say "The Bible is God".
      There are members of EVERY denomination who say silly or uninformed things which are not in accord with the tenets of the churches that they belong to. This is the case with Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and even members of cults.

This particular statement ("The Bible is God") is something I have never actually heard anyone claim, although I know Catholics who like to charge that it is typical of some "non-Catholics. " The charge is a favorite with these folks, just like the other old standby, "Protestants worship the Bible."

To the extent that someone, somewhere, actually does insist that the Bible is God, I strongly suspect that these are people who are not good with the language and simply have difficulty expressing the precise idea that they have in mind, which in this case most likely is that the Bible is the word of God (but not God itself).

11. Likes Confessional Lutheran, Josiah liked this post
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      69.23%
      @MoreCoffee, do you disagree with this statement?
      "So what do I mean? I mean that the Bible is the very speech of God and that his speech cannot be easily separated from his person."