• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Could it all be a fraud?

Pedrito is offline Clarifier
      Married
      Hyding from Jekyll

Mood:
      ----

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      12.41%
      Nobody took me to task for my slip-of-the-pen “77- book Bible” and “the apocryphal books that bring the total to 77”. The number 7 must have been stuck in my mind. It is worthy of note however, that Bibles from different sources over the centuries have contained different numbers of apocryphal books, so that might have distracted me also. Not to mention my dylsexia.

In reply to MoreCoffee’s “I read a 73 book bible that is more cohesive and more free of denominational biases than the 66 book bible I possess (KJV included). God willing you may see this for yourself when you read a 73 book bible for yourself, if you have not yet done so. And if you have then God willing some day the revelation will dawn upon you and the day star will rise in your heart (2Peter 1:19 And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts).” in Post #28, let me present something.

If my understanding is correct, in 2 Maccabees 12:46 (Douay-Rheims Bible – 1899 American Edition (DRA)), dead Jewish soldiers are prayed for because penetrating paganism had prompted them to sin by carrying prohibited pagan amulets for protection. Verse 46 concludes the passage thus: It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

Other editions of the Roman Catholic Bible may vary the wording (I am not sure), but I suspect the thought and intent remain, if so.

The question is: Where in the 66-book Bible is there any mention of praying for the dead? Let alone recommending it?

And doesn’t the concept of praying for dead people conflict with statements such as found in Hebrews 9:27: “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment”?

If so, a dichotomy of note is revealed.
      Seeking to understand with precision, God's holy and coherent revelation to us.

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      24.98%
      Quote Originally Posted by Pedrito View Post
      Nobody took me to task for my slip-of-the-pen “77- book Bible” and “the apocryphal books that bring the total to 77”. The number 7 must have been stuck in my mind. It is worthy of note however, that Bibles from different sources over the centuries have contained different numbers of apocryphal books, so that might have distracted me also. Not to mention my dylsexia.

In reply to MoreCoffee’s “I read a 73 book bible that is more cohesive and more free of denominational biases than the 66 book bible I possess (KJV included). God willing you may see this for yourself when you read a 73 book bible for yourself, if you have not yet done so. And if you have then God willing some day the revelation will dawn upon you and the day star will rise in your heart (2Peter 1:19 And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts).” in Post #28, let me present something.

If my understanding is correct, in 2 Maccabees 12:46 (Douay-Rheims Bible – 1899 American Edition (DRA)), dead Jewish soldiers are prayed for because penetrating paganism had prompted them to sin by carrying prohibited pagan amulets for protection. Verse 46 concludes the passage thus: It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

Other editions of the Roman Catholic Bible may vary the wording (I am not sure), but I suspect the thought and intent remain, if so.

The question is: Where in the 66-book Bible is there any mention of praying for the dead? Let alone recommending it?

And doesn’t the concept of praying for dead people conflict with statements such as found in Hebrews 9:27: “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment”?

If so, a dichotomy of note is revealed.
      There is no 66 book bible. That is an eviscerated bible - a book with hundreds of pages cut out and thrown aside by wicked men with wicked intent to self-promote and to self-glorify by creating a theology of self-centred-religiosity. But having said that, read the accounts in Maccabees and see for yourself what is taught. Since the passage you point to is inspired holy scripture read it with care and with reverence but if you cannot do that then have the courage to admit that you reject it for whatever reasons your have believed.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.