• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 21 to 30 of 30
    1. #21
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      12,304
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      5,000
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,428,208 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      52,402
      Level
      58
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      18.25%
      Rep Power
      563
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      So it wasn't Job's strength and Job couldn't handle it without God handling it for him?
      Peter did not remain true to God at the trial and crucifixion of Jesus. Did Peter's failure mean Peter could handle it, but failed or did it mean God gave Peter more than he could handle?
      All of our strength comes from God, our source for all. Peters failure meant that the flesh became afraid and took control rather than the spirit. I think you know this stuff so why are we going round and round about it
      Isaiah 40:31

    2. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
    3. #22
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,564
      CH Cash
      15,050
      CH Challenge
      13
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      14,979
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.23%
      Rep Power
      393
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      All of our strength comes from God, our source for all. Peters failure meant that the flesh became afraid and took control rather than the spirit. I think you know this stuff so why are we going round and round about it
      I'm trying to get at the meaning of the phrase, "God won't give you more than you can handle." I emphasize the word "you" and I think that God does give "you" more than"you" can handle. It is not, however, more than God can handle, which forces us to either have faith or give in to despair.
      In Peter's experiences at the trial of Jesus we see Peter fall to despair. After Jesus sends the Holy Spirit on Pentacost we see a Peter who has lost all trust in himself, but has gained great faith in God.

    4. #23
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      33
      Mood:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      1,837
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      9,028
      CH Challenge
      53
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      8,917
      Level
      28
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.53%
      Rep Power
      268
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      I think you know this stuff so why are we going round and round about it
      this.

    5. #24
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Bemused
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Elsewhere
      Posts
      6,111
      CH Cash
      2,218
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,116,670 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      28,106
      Level
      45
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.53%
      Rep Power
      706
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      I have heard this phrase shared with a person at a number of funerals. Is this saying true?
      I suppose it depends on how one defines "you can handle".

      First of all I think the saying is perhaps a distortion of 1Co 10:13 - "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it" which talks more of God providing a way of avoiding temptation than escaping other difficult situations. That said, it could be argued that particularly brutal trials in life could represent a temptation to abandon our faith in the God who apparently isn't protecting us from them.

      During my school days the standard prayer in our daily assemblies included the line "we do not ask for tasks equal to our powers, we ask for powers equal to our tasks". I forget who was quoted as saying "if God brings you to it he will bring you through it", and I suspect that if we are willing to follow God come what may then he will guide us through everything, even if our life changes beyond recognition in the process. If we regard major life changes as meaning we can't handle something then it's entirely possible God will give us things we can't handle. If we expect to do everything in our own strength it's also entirely possible God will give us something we can't handle. If we are willing to hold everything loosely, knowing that ultimately it all belongs to God anyway, and accept that God is in control of our destiny, perhaps it becomes easier to handle things we would rather not face.

      If we, like Christ, are truly willing to say "not my will but yours be done", perhaps things become easier. And as with so much else of this nature, it's so easy to write it on a message board and not always so easy to actually live it.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    6. Likes MennoSota liked this post
    7. #25
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,564
      CH Cash
      15,050
      CH Challenge
      13
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      14,979
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.23%
      Rep Power
      393
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I suppose it depends on how one defines "you can handle".

      First of all I think the saying is perhaps a distortion of 1Co 10:13 - "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it" which talks more of God providing a way of avoiding temptation than escaping other difficult situations. That said, it could be argued that particularly brutal trials in life could represent a temptation to abandon our faith in the God who apparently isn't protecting us from them.

      During my school days the standard prayer in our daily assemblies included the line "we do not ask for tasks equal to our powers, we ask for powers equal to our tasks". I forget who was quoted as saying "if God brings you to it he will bring you through it", and I suspect that if we are willing to follow God come what may then he will guide us through everything, even if our life changes beyond recognition in the process. If we regard major life changes as meaning we can't handle something then it's entirely possible God will give us things we can't handle. If we expect to do everything in our own strength it's also entirely possible God will give us something we can't handle. If we are willing to hold everything loosely, knowing that ultimately it all belongs to God anyway, and accept that God is in control of our destiny, perhaps it becomes easier to handle things we would rather not face.

      If we, like Christ, are truly willing to say "not my will but yours be done", perhaps things become easier. And as with so much else of this nature, it's so easy to write it on a message board and not always so easy to actually live it.
      Well said, tango.

    8. #26
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,345
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      197,230
      CH Challenge
      23
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (124,918 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      187,993
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      18.99%
      Rep Power
      788
      I thought childbirth was something more than I wanted to handle That's why I have one child! LOL But seriously I disagree with people using that phrase because it's just not found in the bible. People do die from things they cannot handle...was it given to them by God? I don't know but God told Satan to give Job some tough things and even though Job handled it...I'm not sure I could handle if my only child were to die
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    9. #27
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,564
      CH Cash
      15,050
      CH Challenge
      13
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      14,979
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.23%
      Rep Power
      393
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      I thought childbirth was something more than I wanted to handle That's why I have one child! LOL But seriously I disagree with people using that phrase because it's just not found in the bible. People do die from things they cannot handle...was it given to them by God? I don't know but God told Satan to give Job some tough things and even though Job handled it...I'm not sure I could handle if my only child were to die
      If we read the book of Job and the dialogue we see that Job didn't handle it. God came and corrected everyone. God brought Job through the unbearable (and based upon Job having more children I suspect God brought Job's wife through the unbearable as well).

    10. #28
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,345
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      197,230
      CH Challenge
      23
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (124,918 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      187,993
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      18.99%
      Rep Power
      788
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      If we read the book of Job and the dialogue we see that Job didn't handle it. God came and corrected everyone. God brought Job through the unbearable (and based upon Job having more children I suspect God brought Job's wife through the unbearable as well).
      Well, when I read Job I thought that he DID handle it. Being sad is still handling things. When people cannot handle things they turn to alcohol, drugs, abuse and suicide.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    11. #29
      Krissy Cakes's Avatar
      Krissy Cakes is offline Veteran Member
      27
      Married
      Mood:
      Geeky
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Idaho
      Posts
      2,158
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      5,438
      CH Challenge
      2
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      7,790
      Level
      26
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      81.53%
      Rep Power
      180
      There are days when I really don't believe it. Those are the days when everything is thrown at me, all at once. But other days I know hes by my side so I can get through anything.



      Hidden Content

      █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂▂
      ▂▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █​

    12. #30
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,564
      CH Cash
      15,050
      CH Challenge
      13
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      14,979
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.23%
      Rep Power
      393
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Well, when I read Job I thought that he DID handle it. Being sad is still handling things. When people cannot handle things they turn to alcohol, drugs, abuse and suicide.
      When people can't handle alcohol, drugs and abuse they turn to...
      A) some other created thing
      B) God

      Job attempts to figure it all out on his own. He refuses to curse God, but he still attempts to solve the mystery by his own power. His friends join in to "help" him. It is only when God enters the scene and Job is brought to complete surrender that relief comes to Job.

      Job did not handle it. Job, like all of us, fell flat on his face.
      I reject the phrase, "God won't give you more than you can handle." God will give us much more than we could possibly handle so that there is only God that we can trust.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •