Do you believe the phrase, "God won't give you more than you can handle"?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I have heard this phrase shared with a person at a number of funerals. Is this saying true?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is true

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
no, some things are the product of our own bad choices.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have heard this phrase shared with a person at a number of funerals. Is this saying true?
Apparently not, as there are plenty of people who have caved under pressure. Not unless, that is, you think that it was entirely their fault that a loved one died tragically, or that they were swindled out of their life's savings, or couldn't face up to any more surgeries, for example. Personally, I don't.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Apparently not, as there are plenty of people who have caved under pressure. Not unless, that is, you think that it was entirely their fault that a loved one died tragically, or that they were swindled out of their life's savings, or couldn't face up to any more surgeries, for example. Personally, I don't.
Does a person's failure mean that God gave them too much to handle?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I do believe that but I cant speak for everyone, especially non believers. Personally I consider it a form of strength in bad situations and overcoming fear of death or loss or anxiety and hopelessness etc, not exactly getting what you want but wanting what you get. For example if I were terminal I wouldn't expect to just overcome the illness but to count my blessings and hold strength in God to the end to overcome the situation of fear.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that but I cant speak for everyone, especially non believers. Personally I consider it a form of strength in bad situations and overcoming fear of death or loss or anxiety and hopelessness etc, not exactly getting what you want but wanting what you get. For example if I were terminal I wouldn't expect to just overcome the illness but to count my blessings and hold strength in God to the end to overcome the situation of fear.

...so...you believe that God doesn't give you more than you can handle? I'm having a hard time seeing if it was a yes or a no in how you responded.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
...so...you believe that God doesn't give you more than you can handle? I'm having a hard time seeing if it was a yes or a no in how you responded.
I believe he won't give you more than you can handle... but as for unbelievers they usually curse God for having tribulation thus strength is not with them and situations seem impossible to get a grip on or "handle"... again I see this phrase as a promise of strength and courage to endure tribulation by way of the Lord.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I believe he won't give you more than you can handle... but as for unbelievers they usually curse God for having tribulation thus strength is not with them and situations seem impossible to get a grip on or "handle"... again I see this phrase as a promise of strength and courage to endure tribulation by way of the Lord.

Thanks for the clarification.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What makes the phrase true, in your opinion?
The fact that if we are Gods then He will always be there for us and will hellp us through any trials that we are going through the key is to stay as close to Him as possible for those wgo dont then yes you can be overwhelmed. I think Job is a pefect example

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The fact that if we are Gods then He will always be there for us and will hellp us through any trials that we are going through the key is to stay as close to Him as possible for those wgo dont then yes you can be overwhelmed. I think Job is a pefect example
Do you think Job could handle his circumstances?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
He did, he knew where his strength came from, he remained true to God

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does a person's failure mean that God gave them too much to handle?

Not necessarily. I just dont think that the expression itself is sound.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
He did, he knew where his strength came from, he remained true to God
So it wasn't Job's strength and Job couldn't handle it without God handling it for him?
Peter did not remain true to God at the trial and crucifixion of Jesus. Did Peter's failure mean Peter could handle it, but failed or did it mean God gave Peter more than he could handle?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So it wasn't Job's strength and Job couldn't handle it without God handling it for him?
Peter did not remain true to God at the trial and crucifixion of Jesus. Did Peter's failure mean Peter could handle it, but failed or did it mean God gave Peter more than he could handle?
Obviously Peter himself was crucified later after his ministries and Jesus himself redeemed him and asked him three times if he loved him which Peter answered yes three times. Peter was only afraid of death and thus he lied three times to save himself (which Christ prophesied to Peter), however he did pull through in the end. Judas turned away and succumbed to satans temptation freely... he resigned from ministry, betrayed his king, and hung himself in misery... deny Christ deny the Father and so without God, he could not handle it and the devil and thief in him killed him.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Obviously Peter himself was crucified later after his ministries and Jesus himself redeemed him and asked him three times if he loved him which Peter answered yes three times. Peter was only afraid of death and thus he lied three times to save himself (which Christ prophesied to Peter), however he did pull through in the end. Judas turned away and succumbed to satans temptation freely... he resigned from ministry, betrayed his king, and hung himself in misery... deny Christ deny the Father and so without God, he could not handle it and the devil and thief in him killed him.
By whose power did Peter pull through? By Peter's power or by God's power.
"With man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
By whose power did Peter pull through? By Peter's power or by God's power.
"With man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Right God gives us strength, those two phrases are both speaking of strength from God to man

Last edited:
Top Bottom