Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I watched To Kill a Mocking Bird today and noticed old Miss Debose sitting on her porch knitting and yelling at the kids because they were impolite to her and it got me to thinking that in the story she'd be old enough to remember the civil war in the USA. Then I got thinking how memories pass with the passing generations and all sorts of context and cultural things go with the passing generations. Makes me wonder if we can ever really understand what it was like to live in past ages.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think today's generation will understand how we lived without so much technology so I think you're onto something!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Some things are always lost to time but with the technology of today and interviewing people thsat lived important event s I think a lot less is being lost now

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Then I got thinking how memories pass with the passing generations and all sorts of context and cultural things go with the passing generations. Makes me wonder if we can ever really understand what it was like to live in past ages.
It's a good point and, no, I am convinced that we cannot really understand. If we were magically transported back in time, we would assume that we'd be the same people and that others would be like us except for current events, styles of dress and speech, lack of technology, etc. But actually, there would be innumerable situations and little things in daily life that would simply amaze us by their crudeness and stupidity, things we could not have anticipated.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I watched To Kill a Mocking Bird today and noticed old Miss Debose sitting on her porch knitting and yelling at the kids because they were impolite to her and it got me to thinking that in the story she'd be old enough to remember the civil war in the USA. Then I got thinking how memories pass with the passing generations and all sorts of context and cultural things go with the passing generations. Makes me wonder if we can ever really understand what it was like to live in past ages.

When I worked in the nursing home there was a guy there who was in his 90's, this is back in year 2000. He said he had his own car garage and remembered working on model T cars. It made me feel kinda sad sometimes when I thought about all the old stories these people had to tell and their kids were too busy to sit down and visit with them. And here i was basically a complete stranger hearing their stories instead.
There was another guy in his 90's who told him that when the Klan was coming down the street to burn a cross in someone's yard that his mother told him to get under the bed and hide. They were white, but still afraid of the Klan.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
When I worked in the nursing home there was a guy there who was in his 90's, this is back in year 2000. He said he had his own car garage and remembered working on model T cars. It made me feel kinda sad sometimes when I thought about all the old stories these people had to tell and their kids were too busy to sit down and visit with them. And here i was basically a complete stranger hearing their stories instead.
There was another guy in his 90's who told him that when the Klan was coming down the street to burn a cross in someone's yard that his mother told him to get under the bed and hide. They were white, but still afraid of the Klan.

Do you think that maybe the loss of context and cultural references may make understanding the writings of the old testament difficult to understand?

Top Bottom