Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"Depression can be relieved by patiently meditating on God's Word and expecting Him to act. It's in the Bible, Psalm 42:6, TLB. "Yet I am standing here depressed and gloomy, but I will meditate upon Your kindness to this lovely land where the Jordan River flows and where Mount Hermon and Mount Mizar stand."
Prayer is a key to handling depression. It's in the Bible, I Samuel 1:10, NIV. "In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the Lord."
It is useful to count your blessings. It's in the Bible, Psalm 107:8-9, TLB. "Oh, that these men would praise the Lord for His loving kindness, and for all of His wonderful deeds! For He satisfies the thirsty soul and fills the hungry soul with good."

rest of article here
http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/topics/depression

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
SOMETIMES, it's chemical. There's medication for that. Sometimes, people ASSUME that there's some emotional weakness or personality flaw when it's just... chemistry. There are people who seek counseling when they need to take pills.

SOMETIMES, it's partly chemical.... and partly our coping mechanisms. Both need to be addressed.

SOMETIMES, it's understandable! When my grandfather died, I was depressed! Hey, I'd be sick if I wasn't! It becomes a problem only when it's a problem - when we get "stuck" or are not able to function.

SOMETIMES, it's coping! And lots of things can HELP. Some of those are spiritual such as those described in the op.

MY half cent (well, quarter cent)

- Josiah

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
SOMETIMES, it's chemical. There's medication for that. Sometimes, people ASSUME that there's some emotional weakness or personality flaw when it's just... chemistry. There are people who seek counseling when they need to take pills.

SOMETIMES, it's partly chemical.... and partly our coping mechanisms. Both need to be addressed.

SOMETIMES, it's understandable! When my grandfather died, I was depressed! Hey, I'd be sick if I wasn't! It becomes a problem only when it's a problem - when we get "stuck" or are not able to function.

SOMETIMES, it's coping! And lots of things can HELP. Some of those are spiritual such as those described in the op.

MY half cent (well, quarter cent)

- Josiah

I tend to think that in many cases, it is not chemical at all. Perhaps in most cases. But, in America we have a medical mentality about mental health. We also are impatient and want a magic pill to take problems away

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
"Depression can be relieved by patiently meditating on God's Word and expecting Him to act. It's in the Bible, Psalm 42:6, TLB. "Yet I am standing here depressed and gloomy, but I will meditate upon Your kindness to this lovely land where the Jordan River flows and where Mount Hermon and Mount Mizar stand."
Prayer is a key to handling depression. It's in the Bible, I Samuel 1:10, NIV. "In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the Lord."
It is useful to count your blessings. It's in the Bible, Psalm 107:8-9, TLB. "Oh, that these men would praise the Lord for His loving kindness, and for all of His wonderful deeds! For He satisfies the thirsty soul and fills the hungry soul with good."

rest of article here
http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/topics/depression
Some need medication because depression can get psychotic and then someone is not able to function without meds.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some need medication because depression can get psychotic and then someone is not able to function without meds.

yes, that's true

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have always been open and honest about my mental illnesses. I take meds and feel if I didn't, most people wouldn't like me and I would get really depressed and end up back in the hospital. I need my meds to function and for the sake of everyone else. :p

Odetta

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Threads like this can get dangerous to someone looking for help. I spent more than two decades thinking my mental illness was the result of lack of faith, inadequate prayer, not enough time in the bible, etc., no matter how much I did of any of those things. Finally went to a doctor, and with the right meds, my life - including my spiritual walk - has been so much better. There were times I was suicidal, and thinking that it was all a spiritual lack on my part made me even more suicidal. And people die from suicide.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Threads like this can get dangerous to someone looking for help. I spent more than two decades thinking my mental illness was the result of lack of faith, inadequate prayer, not enough time in the bible, etc., no matter how much I did of any of those things. Finally went to a doctor, and with the right meds, my life - including my spiritual walk - has been so much better. There were times I was suicidal, and thinking that it was all a spiritual lack on my part made me even more suicidal. And people die from suicide.

I didn't say that people didn't need medication nor has anyone else on this thread. That isn't for me to decide. That is between that person and their doctor. Of course, a consultation with a psychiatrist is a good idea for many people.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
God bless you, I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy. Depression can make faith seem just as dark as reality and modern medicine should not be demonized. I knew a lady that was bipolar and members of our church convinced her to stop her medication and she did, she became such a mess and cops were involved due to her behavior... she especially became enraged when she got lectured over the loss of salvation of her non-Pentecostal lost loved ones.... Very dangerous indeed to simply say "oh well you are depressed because you have not met Christ's standards" [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom