Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This is a talk that I sometimes mention to my client and encourage them to watch about how people change and how to provoke change in their lives.
three take away for me has been:
1. make small changes
2. reward yourself after you do the new habit or changed behavior
3. pair an old habit with a new one. The old habit becomes a reminder to do the new one.

https://youtu.be/AdKUJxjn-R8

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Good points there.... it's so easy to start with grand intentions and try to change everything at once, only to find it doesn't stick. I like the idea of pairing habits, going to give that one a try :)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
i've found that most people try to do too much and end up not following through with it. Smaller changes, like exercising for 5 or 10 minutes or doing 5 push ups or something like that is easier to commit to. It helps build momentum

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
i've found that most people try to do too much and end up not following through with it. Smaller changes, like exercising for 5 or 10 minutes or doing 5 push ups or something like that is easier to commit to. It helps build momentum

I was thinking about the people who decide to lose weight by cutting out candy, chocolate, cake and just about everything else they enjoy eating, all at once. It's depressingly predictable that within a couple of weeks they've "failed" because - gasp - they couldn't resist a candy bar and because they "failed" so fast they decide they can't continue with it.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking about the people who decide to lose weight by cutting out candy, chocolate, cake and just about everything else they enjoy eating, all at once. It's depressingly predictable that within a couple of weeks they've "failed" because - gasp - they couldn't resist a candy bar and because they "failed" so fast they decide they can't continue with it.
I can relate to that. That's when I try to reduce I include a bit of sweets at times and have it as an acceptable food. I do tend to think I've failed, though, if I constantly go off of it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I can relate to that. That's when I try to reduce I include a bit of sweets at times and have it as an acceptable food. I do tend to think I've failed, though, if I constantly go off of it.
Yes, I am addicted to sweets

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was told that it takes 21 days to create a new habit and some people don't want to give it that long so they resort to the old habit. It takes determination to stick with it. It helps to have people supporting you for encouragement.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was told that it takes 21 days to create a new habit and some people don't want to give it that long so they resort to the old habit. It takes determination to stick with it. It helps to have people supporting you for encouragement.

it's actually closer to 90 days

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Has it ever taken you that long though? I'm closer to the 21 days.

It depends on what your trying to change. If your counseling someone who is engaging in cutting behavior or negative thinking then 90 days is not that long. Or if someone is trying to stop smoking for example.
What we have found is that simply by using change talk it helps promote change. It provokes them to think about what they want to change

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It depends on what your trying to change. If your counseling someone who is engaging in cutting behavior or negative thinking then 90 days is not that long. Or if someone is trying to stop smoking for example.
What we have found is that simply by using change talk it helps promote change. It provokes them to think about what they want to change

I was thinking more of habits than addictions or mental illness issues.

Top Bottom