• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 37

    Bible Study - Thread: Who was Melchizedek?

    1. #1
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,737
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,507
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,118
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.79%
      Rep Power
      427

      Who was Melchizedek?

      Abraham offered a tithe to Melchizedek and it says that he was a priest. This was before the Levitical priest had begun or the Bible written. They didn't even know God's name at the time. Here are some scripture references for Melchizedek. Who was he and how did he get his authority to be a priest?

      Genesis 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying,
      “Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
      Creator of heaven and earth.

      Psalm 110:4 The Lord has sworn
      and will not change his mind:
      “You are a priest forever,
      in the order of Melchizedek.”

      Hebrews 5:9-10 "and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him 10 and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek."

      Hebrews 6:19-20 9 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, 20 where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.

      Hebrews 7:10-12 10 "because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.
      11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also."

    2. Likes RichWh1 liked this post
    3. #2
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      6,590
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      116,220
      CH Challenge
      270
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      67,720
      Level
      64
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.4%
      Rep Power
      894
      I think you excellently answered your question, my friend.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    4. Likes DHoffmann, RichWh1 liked this post
    5. #3
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,737
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,507
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,118
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.79%
      Rep Power
      427
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      I think you excellently answered your question, my friend.
      Questions remain.
      Did he get his instructions about how to worship from God himself? Such as sacrifices?
      How did he know the nature of God?
      Is this a preincarnate Christ as some have said?
      How did Abram know him and who he was?

    6. #4
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      6,590
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      116,220
      CH Challenge
      270
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      67,720
      Level
      64
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.4%
      Rep Power
      894
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      Questions remain.
      Did he get his instructions about how to worship from God himself? Such as sacrifices?
      How did he know the nature of God?
      Is this a preincarnate Christ as some have said?
      How did Abram know him and who he was?

      IMO, the verses you quoted answer who he was. And of course, it's all we are told. I SUSPECT, but cannot know... I can THEORIZE but cannot state.... that this man was educated - whether by God directly or indirectly, we cannot know. And that there was probably some conversation between Abraham and this man.

      IMO, this reveals that that God has something of a relationship with MORE and JUST His "chosen people." Interesting.... because SOME like to spin that Judaism started as simply a tribal religion, but I think this suggests that both Hebrews and non-Hebrews understood that God is the God of ALL and that ALL can have a relationship with Him. Certainly, there is something special with the Hebrews (His 'chosen ones') but it's not entirely exclusive.

      Yeah.... the significance of this to Jesus is interesting. "After the order of Melchizedek." Interesting because this man is pretty obscure in the OT and yet.... Some suggest this has some connection to Jesus being the Great High Priest but was He of the right "tribe" (not a descendant of Aaron) within the Hebrew Old Covenant for such? Perhaps this whole account is to show that the HEBREW OLD COVENANT was not the only factor? Ah, just a personal theory.


      That's my worthless opinion...


      - Josiah




      .
      Last edited by Josiah; 03-21-2018 at 12:30 PM.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    7. #5
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      12,627
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      1,317
      CH Challenge
      89
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,232,062 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      54,439
      Level
      59
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.76%
      Rep Power
      588
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      IMO, the verses you quoted answer who he was. And of course, it's all we are told. I SUSPECT, but cannot know... I can THEORIZE but cannot state.... that this man was educated - whether by God directly or indirectly, we cannot know. And that there was probably some conversation between Abraham and this man.

      IMO, this reveals that that God has something of a relationship with MORE and JUST His "chosen people." Interesting.... because SOME like to spin that Judaism started as simply a tribal religion, but I think this suggests that both Hebrews and non-Hebrews understood that God is the God of ALL and that ALL can have a relationship with Him. Certainly, there is something special with the Hebrews (His 'chosen ones') but it's not entirely exclusive.

      Yeah.... the significance of this to Jesus is interesting. "After the order of Melchizedek." Interesting because this man is pretty obscure in the OT and yet.... Some suggest this has some connection to Jesus being the Great High Priest but was He of the right "tribe" (not a descendant of Aaron) within the Hebrew Old Covenant for such? Perhaps this whole account is to show that the HEBREW OLD COVENANT was not the only factor? Ah, just a personal theory.


      That's my worthless opinion...


      - Josiah




      .
      Someone without beginning or end as far as the Word, Many think it was Jesus but I would say that the verse that says like Melchezadek discounts that. But I do believe he came from heaven and we do not know for sure if it was a man or Jesus or an angel. As you say we can speculate but not know because the Word does not tell us
      Isaiah 40:31

    8. #6
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,737
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,507
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,118
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.79%
      Rep Power
      427
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      Someone without beginning or end as far as the Word, Many think it was Jesus but I would say that the verse that says like Melchezadek discounts that. But I do believe he came from heaven and we do not know for sure if it was a man or Jesus or an angel. As you say we can speculate but not know because the Word does not tell us
      if he had no beginning or end then we can rule out man since it is appointed for all men to die once. Hebrews 9:27

    9. #7
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      12,627
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      1,317
      CH Challenge
      89
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,232,062 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      54,439
      Level
      59
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.76%
      Rep Power
      588
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      if he had no beginning or end then we can rule out man since it is appointed for all men to die once. Hebrews 9:27
      Again only speculation that one came about because there is nothing saying that he did but if I remember correctly it does talk about an eternal priesthood
      Isaiah 40:31

    10. #8
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,737
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,507
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,118
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.79%
      Rep Power
      427
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      Again only speculation that one came about because there is nothing saying that he did but if I remember correctly it does talk about an eternal priesthood
      The book of Hebrews makes the comparison because unlike the priest in the Old Testament who had his own failures and sins, Jesus is our High Priest now and has an eternal priesthood

    11. #9
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      34
      Mood:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,027
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      10,124
      CH Challenge
      159
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,868
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      65.45%
      Rep Power
      294
      Freemasons seem to know much about him but they wont tell me because its a secret

      Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

    12. Likes Josiah liked this post
    13. #10
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      34
      Mood:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,027
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      10,124
      CH Challenge
      159
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,868
      Level
      29
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      65.45%
      Rep Power
      294
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Freemasons seem to know much about him but they wont tell me because its a secret

      Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
      I do have a masonic bible tho lol i just remembered that... anyway


      Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •