Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I am old enough to remember times when we would have tornado drills and bomb drill because of fear that the Russians would bomb us during the Cold War, but today was my first ever lockdown drill at a school I was at. I am a school based counselor so during the school year I go to different schools and have sessions with students during the day. Nobody had told me what to do, but the student I was with (we were in the middle of a session) calmly told me to turn off the lights and to get away from the door so anyone looking in couldn't see us.

They didn't say it was a drill over the PA system, so for a few minutes i thought it might be real. All the kids seemed to know exactly what they were suppose to do and handled it well.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I was a sub we had lockdown drills. It's scary if the office neglects to warn you about it first!! The kids all know what to do and on the teachers' desks there was the guideline book for all the procedures but it's still a tense situation.

We actually had one incident where a former student was supposed to have been on campus as a threat and we were locked in our room for about 3 hours. I put cartoons on for the kids to watch (computers were hooked up to projectors).

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I was a sub we had lockdown drills. It's scary if the office neglects to warn you about it first!! The kids all know what to do and on the teachers' desks there was the guideline book for all the procedures but it's still a tense situation.

We actually had one incident where a former student was supposed to have been on campus as a threat and we were locked in our room for about 3 hours. I put cartoons on for the kids to watch (computers were hooked up to projectors).

Nobody told us that it was a drill. It only lasted for maybe ten minutes, but I was sitting on the floor behind a desk the whole time with the lights out

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Nobody told us that it was a drill. It only lasted for maybe ten minutes, but I was sitting on the floor behind a desk the whole time with the lights out

Of course, you should have been informed - not only of the scheduled drill but what you were to do. Somebody goofed.

I'm glad all went well.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jsimms, did you let them know that you hadn't been informed that it was a drill after it was all said and done? Are you on their email list that announces drill days since you're new to the position you might not be?

Not knowing if something is a drill can be stressful and yes, I've lived through that but you have to put on that poker face to assure the kids it will be fine no matter what. I'm a relaxing person to be around so my kids never knew of any inside panic that I may have had.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jsimms, did you let them know that you hadn't been informed that it was a drill after it was all said and done? Are you on their email list that announces drill days since you're new to the position you might not be?

Not knowing if something is a drill can be stressful and yes, I've lived through that but you have to put on that poker face to assure the kids it will be fine no matter what. I'm a relaxing person to be around so my kids never knew of any inside panic that I may have had.

When I did speak to the principal I just told her how the kid i was with was pretty awesome and took charge and told me what to do. At the moment, I was so proud of him that is what I mainly was thinking about. I don't even think the guidance counselor who was in the room next to me knew there was going to be a drill, so it wasn't just me.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I remember growing up with LOTS of lockdowns. They can be very scary.

Top Bottom