Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Jesus spoke about fulfilling the Law. There is a careful use of phrases in this passage so be careful to notice as you read. It can be revealing to notice how the author of Matthew chooses his words and the way he tells his story.

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to annul the law and the prophets. I have not come to annul them, but to fulfil them. 18 I tell you this: as long as heaven and earth last, not the smallest letter or dot in the law will change, until all is fulfilled. 19 So then, whoever breaks the least important of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be the least in the kingdom of heaven. On the other hand, whoever obeys them, and teaches others to do the same, will be great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 I tell you, if your sense of right and wrong is not keener than that of the Lawyers and the Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus spoke about fulfilling the Law. There is a careful use of phrases in this passage so be careful to notice as you read. It can be revealing to notice how the author of Matthew chooses his words and the way he tells his story.

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to annul the law and the prophets. I have not come to annul them, but to fulfil them. 18 I tell you this: as long as heaven and earth last, not the smallest letter or dot in the law will change, until all is fulfilled. 19 So then, whoever breaks the least important of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be the least in the kingdom of heaven. On the other hand, whoever obeys them, and teaches others to do the same, will be great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 I tell you, if your sense of right and wrong is not keener than that of the Lawyers and the Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

There are several "Atonement Theories". Lutherans officially embrace none of them (although Luther was fond of the Christus Victor view) but we find some truth in all of them. Here, the Vicarious Atonement view probably fits best. God requires that we be as morally perfect as He is (Matthew 5:48 etc., etc., etc., etc.). We do not/cannot do that, so Christ did it for us, in our place, in our stead, to our credit. In Matthew 5, Jesus is speaking to humanity in general so the context here is justification (narrow). Of course, for those for whom Jesus has made atonement (justified), the Law actually still remains..... we are still called to be as morally perfect as God is (indeed, we are called to even more than the unsaved, for example we are called to love as much as Christ did on the Cross). But while we do not achieve this, it remains the goal: "Not that I have already attained this" (Paul said, who labeled himself as Chief of Sinners) "but I press on to make it my own BECAUSE Christ HAD MADE ME His own." For Christians, this "pressing on" has nothing whatsoever to do with justification or atonement, it has to do with the sanctification process of becoming more Christ-like in terms of morality, love and service.

- Josiah

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married

I am not really sure what point or points you are making here, but I do find it intriguing that you entreat us to be careful as we read the passage because the author was very specific in his use of words.

Surely if we really want to understand the words so carefully chosen by the author we should be reading them in the language in which they were written. But even then we would be in danger of misunderstanding as in my experience much of the meaning of what is written requires that the reader is acquainted intimately with the context in which the author is writing.

Just an observation, no criticism is intended.

Pete from Peterborough UK

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I am not really sure what point or points you are making here, but I do find it intriguing that you entreat us to be careful as we read the passage because the author was very specific in his use of words.

Surely if we really want to understand the words so carefully chosen by the author we should be reading them in the language in which they were written. But even then we would be in danger of misunderstanding as in my experience much of the meaning of what is written requires that the reader is acquainted intimately with the context in which the author is writing.

Just an observation, no criticism is intended.

Pete from Peterborough UK

One set of terms in the passage that are of significance are
  • the law and the prophets
  • the law
  • these commandments

Top Bottom