Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
As many know I have it but it is controlled with diet and exercise. Well Jordan has been stressed out lately and that means we don't eat as well. Going out to eat and so on. Well I haven't been feeling well and so I decided I needed to go to the ER. I had a headache/stomach ache, diarrhea and peeing A LOT. I went in about 7-8:00pm. They did an IV. (which took A LOT of pokes as I have BAD veins) Well after FINALLY getting an IV in they pushed LOTS of fluids and pain meds. They poked my finger to check my blood sugar and guess what it was?? 509!! :eek: :eek: So it took them 6 hours to drop my sugars and when he said I could go home he did one last one and it 267. Still high but I will go with that. I don't understand why they didn't keep me longer as it was still high. The doctor said if it gets to be 300 or higher to come back in.

For those who have diabetes, whats the highest you can go and whats the lowest you can go before having to go to the ER.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As many know I have it but it is controlled with diet and exercise. Well Jordan has been stressed out lately and that means we don't eat as well. Going out to eat and so on. Well I haven't been feeling well and so I decided I needed to go to the ER. I had a headache/stomach ache, diarrhea and peeing A LOT. I went in about 7-8:00pm. They did an IV. (which took A LOT of pokes as I have BAD veins) Well after FINALLY getting an IV in they pushed LOTS of fluids and pain meds. They poked my finger to check my blood sugar and guess what it was?? 509!! :eek: :eek: So it took them 6 hours to drop my sugars and when he said I could go home he did one last one and it 267. Still high but I will go with that. I don't understand why they didn't keep me longer as it was still high. The doctor said if it gets to be 300 or higher to come back in.

For those who have diabetes, whats the highest you can go and whats the lowest you can go before having to go to the ER.

I keep a stash of apple juice to help with lows. I buy the little bottles and keep one at work and at home in case of lows. You need to treat any lows lower than 70. I've dropped into the 40's before and it doesn't feel very good i can tell you that. Any lower than that and you risk unconscioiusness. The general rule is to when low take 15 grams of carbs and then wait 15 minutes and check blood sugar again. If it is lower than 70 take another 15 grams. The tendency is to try to eat everything in the house when your low. There is an emergency shot you can get to help boost you up. It comes in a little red box. I've only had to use it once when I was throwing up and couldn't keep any food down. It really hurts and is a big needle. That was a situation where i did go to the emergency room, but by then it was already going back up and the shot did what it was suppose to do.
As far as highs, I use to go into the 400's all the time, but not anymore. I'm on insulin. You need to get a meter if you don't already have one. Get an appointment to see your family doctor and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist to help you manage it better. If I were you I would check with the hospital or your local doctor about getting any appointment with a diabetic educator. I can tell you a lot of what I have learned, but it would be better if someone sat down with you and taught you things like diet and exercise plan designed for you.

Last edited:

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I keep a stash of apple juice to help with lows. I buy the little bottles and keep one at work and at home in case of lows. You need to treat any lows lower than 70. I've dropped into the 40's before and it doesn't feel very good i can tell you that. Any lower than that and you risk unconscioiusness. The general rule is to when low take 15 grams of carbs and then wait 15 minutes and check blood sugar again. If it is lower than 70 take another 15 grams. The tendency is to try to eat everything in the house when your low. There is an emergency shot you can get to help boost you up. It comes in a little red box. I've only had to use it once when I was throwing up and couldn't keep any food down. It really hurts and is a big needle. That was a situation where i did go to the emergency room, but by then it was already going back up and the shot did what it was suppose to do.
As far as highs, I use to go into the 400's all the time, but not anymore. I'm on insulin. You need to get a meter if you don't already have one. Get an appointment to see your family doctor and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist to help you manage it better. If I were you I would check with the hospital or your local doctor about getting any appointment with a diabetic educator. I can tell you a lot of what I have learned, but it would be better if someone sat down with you and taught you things like diet and exercise plan designed for you.

They gave me 2 shots of insulin (not at the same time)

He told me I needed to follow up with my doctor and thats what I'm going to do even if it takes a little while. Shes always overbooked as shes a popular doctor.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
They gave me 2 shots of insulin (not at the same time)

He told me I needed to follow up with my doctor and thats what I'm going to do even if it takes a little while. Shes always overbooked as shes a popular doctor.

So they didn't send you home with any medicine or prescription?

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So I went back to the hospital as my blood 367 and the I had to come in per doctors orders. Well I got to the hospital and it was at 400 and so they gave me fluids and more insulin. I spent over 7 hours in the ER. :dead1: They also gave me pain meds for my stomach and head. They have been hurting bad lately. So after all that time they gave me hydrocodone and zofran for my stomach.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Doesn't sound too fun. At the very least, this thread could serve as a reminder for you that whatever choices we make for the sake of convenience, or excuse or pleasure can have rewards or consequences that either are worth it or not.

If your husband is a good husband, he will support you even when he's stressed in following a way that does not put you in the hospital or the ER for hours do to shared meals that are dangerous for you. That could be as simple as making his own meal, helping with the cooking and respecting that your health may be dependent on you not sharing certain foods with him.

Good luck and God bless.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Double post

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are you feeling better, Krissy, after getting home from the ER?

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are you feeling better, Krissy, after getting home from the ER?

No still feeling crappy. :(

I went in again last night. 378 it was. She didn't do anything, just sent me home. They said if it gets up to 500 again to come back in.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I went in again last night. 378 it was. She didn't do anything, just sent me home. They said if it gets up to 500 again to come back in.

When it is that high you need to push the fluids. It puts stress on your kidneys when it is that high and you need to make sure your hydrated. I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like you need to be on insulin permanently

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When it is that high you need to push the fluids. It puts stress on your kidneys when it is that high and you need to make sure your hydrated. I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like you need to be on insulin permanently

I was thinking the same thing but the doctor at the er says I'm fine. I'm fed up with this. :stress::tantrum::nonono::run-away-crying:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Sorry to hear that! They didn't pump you full of more stuff did they? My anesthesiologist told me that each IV bag has the sodium equivalent of 4 pizzas!! I had a roommate in the hospital who was on high dosages of steroids and her blood sugar spiked because of it so she was checked every 6 hours. I was checked as well because of the feedings I received as well as the IV (I couldn't eat real food) and was told it could cause a rise in blood sugar. So be careful about going back there unless it's like they said at 500.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was thinking the same thing but the doctor at the er says I'm fine. I'm fed up with this. :stress::tantrum::nonono::run-away-crying:

blood sugars in the 300's is not fine

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sorry to hear that! They didn't pump you full of more stuff did they? My anesthesiologist told me that each IV bag has the sodium equivalent of 4 pizzas!! I had a roommate in the hospital who was on high dosages of steroids and her blood sugar spiked because of it so she was checked every 6 hours. I was checked as well because of the feedings I received as well as the IV (I couldn't eat real food) and was told it could cause a rise in blood sugar. So be careful about going back there unless it's like they said at 500.

Wow I didn't know that about IV fluids.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
blood sugars in the 300's is not fine

I know. :(

I went to the doctor today and they upped my metformin.

Last time I checked my sugar it was 366.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know. :(

I went to the doctor today and they upped my metformin.

Last time I checked my sugar it was 366.

YOu might need to give it a day or two, but I would say your doctor isn't being aggressive enough in treating it. metformin makes a little difference but not a lot. You need a lot.
I take the extended release metformin and other pill along with insulin. There are two kinds of insulin one like lantus or Levemir which is more or less a 24 hour insulin meant to give you a base coverage and novolog or humalog that you take with meals
There are also some weekly shots you could try that might help you. The good part about those is it is only once a week. Something like Victoza. I tried one of those, but my stomach couldn't handle it

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
YOu might need to give it a day or two, but I would say your doctor isn't being aggressive enough in treating it. metformin makes a little difference but not a lot. You need a lot.
I take the extended release metformin and other pill along with insulin. There are two kinds of insulin one like lantus or Levemir which is more or less a 24 hour insulin meant to give you a base coverage and novolog or humalog that you take with meals
There are also some weekly shots you could try that might help you. The good part about those is it is only once a week. Something like Victoza. I tried one of those, but my stomach couldn't handle it

Its frustrating when you have one doctor saying you need to be on insulin and then another one saying you don't.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Tonight I checked it and it was 408. :(

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Its frustrating when you have one doctor saying you need to be on insulin and then another one saying you don't.

The one saying you don't needs to be fired.

Top Bottom