Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It seems obvious why the Father is called father and why the Son is called son but why is the Spirit of God called the Holy Spirit? Surely the Father is holy and the Son is holy yet The Father is not often called the Holy Father nor is the Son often called the Holy Son. It may be significant that God the Spirit is very often called the Holy Spirit. That word "holy" has meaning, what do you think God is telling us by inspiring the writers of holy scripture to call the Spirit "the Holy Spirit"?

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems obvious why the Father is called father and why the Son is called son but why is the Spirit of God called the Holy Spirit? Surely the Father is holy and the Son is holy yet The Father is not often called the Holy Father nor is the Son often called the Holy Son. It may be significant that God the Spirit is very often called the Holy Spirit. That word "holy" has meaning, what do you think God is telling us by inspiring the writers of holy scripture to call the Spirit "the Holy Spirit"?
So none will conflate it with their own spirit. It is Holy; pure and different. The Holy Spirit is GOD. it is the Spirit that filled Jesus. It is not corrupt or able to be.

(just my opinion I suppose. If it's against scripture then I would like to know)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The synonym for holy is set-apart or sanctified.
Thus the Holy Spirit is set apart from all other spirits, just as Jesus is set apart from all other humans.

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Is this because there are only one Father and Son but there are many spirits which may be confused with the Holy Spirit. And if you take this in conjunction with the widely held belief that sinning against the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin, whatever your understanding of that is, then it would seem likely that we would want to distinguish the Holy Spirit from the plethora of other spirits which we are called to be discerning of.

Pete from Peterborough UK

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I see that others have beat me to it. My speculation would be that there are many 'spirits' in the world, and in the 'spiritual' realm, but one Holy Spirit who is God.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Is this because there are only one Father and Son but there are many spirits which may be confused with the Holy Spirit. And if you take this in conjunction with the widely held belief that sinning against the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin, whatever your understanding of that is, then it would seem likely that we would want to distinguish the Holy Spirit from the plethora of other spirits which we are called to be discerning of.

I can't help but think that there are many fathers in this world, I had one, I bet you did too. And I am one of many sons in this world, It looks like you are one too. So while there are many Spirits in creation there are also many father and many sons too. I was wondering where is the first passage (in time rather than in canonical order) where holy scripture refers to God's Spirit as the Holy Spirit? Sometimes the situation where a title is first used (or a word for that matter) sets the stage for future uses.

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
I can't help but think that there are many fathers in this world, I had one, I bet you did too. And I am one of many sons in this world, It looks like you are one too. So while there are many Spirits in creation there are also many father and many sons too. I was wondering where is the first passage (in time rather than in canonical order) where holy scripture refers to God's Spirit as the Holy Spirit? Sometimes the situation where a title is first used (or a word for that matter) sets the stage for future uses.

Good points well made, and seeking the first reference might indeed shed light upon the use of the term. But I wonder whether the term may have been used by Jesus in the famous upper room discourse, but perhaps translations or the language used by the disciples has been misquoted.

I am not learned enough to make any other knowledgeable comments into this, so I will let other wiser folk suggest answers.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ezekiel 36: 22. Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 23. And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 24. For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 25. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. 28. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God. 29. I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you. 30. And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen. 31. Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations. 32. Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel. 33. Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day that I shall have cleansed you from all your iniquities I will also cause you to dwell in the cities, and the wastes shall be builded. 34. And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by. 35. And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited. 36. Then the heathen that are left round about you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it. 37. Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be inquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock. 38. As the holy flock, as the flock of Jerusalem in her solemn feasts; so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men: and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Joel 2: 21. Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things. 22. Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength. 23. Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month. 24. And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the fats shall overflow with wine and oil. 25. And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. 26. And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. 27. And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. 28. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29. And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. 30. And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. 31. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come. 32. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Good points well made, and seeking the first reference might indeed shed light upon the use of the term. But I wonder whether the term may have been used by Jesus in the famous upper room discourse, but perhaps translations or the language used by the disciples has been misquoted.

I am not learned enough to make any other knowledgeable comments into this, so I will let other wiser folk suggest answers.

I very much doubt that anyone managed to memorize that fairly long discourse when hearing it, so I wouldn't bet on the wording being precise. But at least in NRSV Jesus uses Holy Spirit once and "Spirit of truth" 3 times during that discourse. Language throughout the NT varies, with simply Spirit, Spirit of holiness, God's spirit, etc. "Holy father" actually does appear once in John 17:11.

Trinitarian language is rare in the NT. Binitarian is common, e.g. Paul's "there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist" (1 Cor 8:6) and "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Cor 1:2), and many other places. There are a couple, one of which says "God" rather than Father (2 Cor 13:4). The other is Mat 28:19, which is almost certainly not Jesus' actual language.

I think drawing conclusions from the terminology "Holy Spirit" is questionable.

Last edited:

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
The first usage that is seen of the Spirit is at creation where she is brooding over the waters like a hen over her chicks.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first usage that is seen of the Spirit is at creation where she is brooding over the waters like a hen over her chicks.
I must say; you are the first person I have witnessed not take some offence at calling GOD she as opposed to he.

Good point though. That is the first notice of the Spirit of GOD at work. I think he may have been looking for the first instance of IT working within man or woman directly....but I could be mistaken.

peace

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I must say; you are the first person I have witnessed not take some offence at calling GOD she as opposed to he.

Good point though. That is the first notice of the Spirit of GOD at work. I think he may have been looking for the first instance of IT working within man or woman directly....but I could be mistaken.

peace

What I was thinking is when is the first use of "holy" when referring to God Spirit as "the Holy Spirit"?

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I was thinking is when is the first use of "holy" when referring to God Spirit as "the Holy Spirit"?[/QUOTE [MENTION=60]MoreCoffee[/MENTION];

Why is this not in the KJV bible? Why can't I even pull it up on any digital version? Why are the numbers not representative of what is in the actual book under the same heading? Please excuse my ignorance, but I am very confused.

Thanks
215a768e77b5d8e5c43ba39c96e66fa3.jpg

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What I was thinking is when is the first use of "holy" when referring to God Spirit as "the Holy Spirit"?
[MENTION=60]MoreCoffee[/MENTION];

Why is this not in the KJV bible? Why can't I even pull it up on any digital version? Why are the numbers not representative of what is in the actual book under the same heading? Please excuse my ignorance, but I am very confused.

Thanks
215a768e77b5d8e5c43ba39c96e66fa3.jpg

I had a look at Genesis 1:5 and it says "Ge 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." The passage you quoted appears to be in Wisdom of Solomon 1:5

“For the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in.”

It's in a passage dealing with Seeking the Lord and renouncing evil
King James Bible Wisdom Chapter 1
1 Love righteousness, ye that be judges of the earth: think of the Lord with a good (heart,) and in simplicity of heart seek him.
2 For he will be found of them that tempt him not; and sheweth himself unto such as do not distrust him.
3 For froward thoughts separate from God: and his power, when it is tried, reproveth the unwise.
4 For into a malicious soul wisdom shall not enter; nor dwell in the body that is subject unto sin.
5 For the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in.
6 For wisdom is a loving spirit; and will not acquit a blasphemer of his words: for God is witness of his reins, and a true beholder of his heart, and a hearer of his tongue.
7 For the Spirit of the Lord filleth the world: and that which containeth all things hath knowledge of the voice.
8 Therefore he that speaketh unrighteous things cannot be hid: neither shall vengeance, when it punisheth, pass by him.
9 For inquisition shall be made into the counsels of the ungodly: and the sound of his words shall come unto the Lord for the manifestation of his wicked deeds.
10 For the ear of jealousy heareth all things: and the noise of murmurings is not hid.
11 Therefore beware of murmuring, which is unprofitable; and refrain your tongue from backbiting: for there is no word so secret, that shall go for nought: and the mouth that belieth slayeth the soul.
12 Seek not death in the error of your life: and pull not upon yourselves destruction with the works of your hands.
13 For God made not death: neither hath he pleasure in the destruction of the living.
14 For he created all things, that they might have their being: and the generations of the world were healthful; and there is no poison of destruction in them, nor the kingdom of death upon the earth:
15 (For righteousness is immortal: )​

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I am not sure if Wisdom 1:5 is the first mention of the Holy Spirit as "the holy spirit" but if it is it may be significant that what the passage says is For the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in. which appears to point to the Holy Spirit's holiness meaning he cannot and will not abide with those who deceive and with those who are without understanding and those who abide (remain) in unrighteousness. Maybe that lies in the thinking of the Lord Jesus Christ when he answers the Pharisees in Matthew chapter twelve and mentions the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, do you agree?

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had a look at Genesis 1:5 and it says "Ge 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." The passage you quoted appears to be in Wisdom of Solomon 1:5

“For the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in.”

It's in a passage dealing with Seeking the Lord and renouncing evil
King James Bible Wisdom Chapter 1
1 Love righteousness, ye that be judges of the earth: think of the Lord with a good (heart,) and in simplicity of heart seek him.
2 For he will be found of them that tempt him not; and sheweth himself unto such as do not distrust him.
3 For froward thoughts separate from God: and his power, when it is tried, reproveth the unwise.
4 For into a malicious soul wisdom shall not enter; nor dwell in the body that is subject unto sin.
5 For the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in.
6 For wisdom is a loving spirit; and will not acquit a blasphemer of his words: for God is witness of his reins, and a true beholder of his heart, and a hearer of his tongue.
7 For the Spirit of the Lord filleth the world: and that which containeth all things hath knowledge of the voice.
8 Therefore he that speaketh unrighteous things cannot be hid: neither shall vengeance, when it punisheth, pass by him.
9 For inquisition shall be made into the counsels of the ungodly: and the sound of his words shall come unto the Lord for the manifestation of his wicked deeds.
10 For the ear of jealousy heareth all things: and the noise of murmurings is not hid.
11 Therefore beware of murmuring, which is unprofitable; and refrain your tongue from backbiting: for there is no word so secret, that shall go for nought: and the mouth that belieth slayeth the soul.
12 Seek not death in the error of your life: and pull not upon yourselves destruction with the works of your hands.
13 For God made not death: neither hath he pleasure in the destruction of the living.
14 For he created all things, that they might have their being: and the generations of the world were healthful; and there is no poison of destruction in them, nor the kingdom of death upon the earth:
15 (For righteousness is immortal: )​

So is that in the regular bible?

Thank you very much for the read.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure if Wisdom 1:5 is the first mention of the Holy Spirit as "the holy spirit" but if it is it may be significant that what the passage says is For the holy spirit of discipline will flee deceit, and remove from thoughts that are without understanding, and will not abide when unrighteousness cometh in. which appears to point to the Holy Spirit's holiness meaning he cannot and will not abide with those who deceive and with those who are without understanding and those who abide (remain) in unrighteousness. Maybe that lies in the thinking of the Lord Jesus Christ when he answers the Pharisees in Matthew chapter twelve and mentions the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, do you agree?
I agree to some extent, but think that such a sin is to outwardly do such, leading others astray with intent.

I don't think denying the direction of the Holy Spirit is neccisarily synonymous with making it out to be evil, but propogating such outwardly as if truth would to me....does that make sense?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Thank you very much for the read.

Yes, it is in my bibles it is in Catholic and Orthodox bibles and in some Anglican and Lutheran bibles (but as "apocrypha" for Anglicans and Lutherans).
I agree to some extent, but think that such a sin is to outwardly do such, leading others astray with intent.

I don't think denying the direction of the Holy Spirit is neccisarily synonymous with making it out to be evil, but propogating such outwardly as if truth would to me....does that make sense?

I wasn't thinking so much about the sin. I was thinking about Jesus calling the Spirit "the Holy Spirit" where the use of the word "holy" appears to signify something about the Spirit of God by whom Jesus drove out demons and the Pharisees accusation that it was by Beelzebub that Jesus drove out demons. It makes it seem that the Pharisees were calling the Holy Spirit names - bad names.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

I was thinking about where we find the first use of the full title "the Holy Spirit".

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, it's one of the books of the Apocrypha.

Anglicans and Lutherans consider the contents to be worthwhile to read but it's not inspired of God like the books of the Bible. Other Protestants do not use them at all for the same reason.

Top Bottom