Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"Millions of Americans face mental illness each year. Yet the stigma surrounding mental health and therapy persists, despite the fact that Americans—especially Christians—who see a counselor have overwhelmingly positive experiences with the practice. In a new study, Barna looks at how Americans feel about and engage with counseling."

rest of the article here
https://www.barna.com/research/americans-feel-good-counseling/

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Interesting study, if somewhat predictable. The really revealing comment in this article for me is where the assumption that there is still a stigma surrounding mental health and therapy came from. Barna offers no explanation for this assumption but tries through the study to discover where people surveyed feel about counselling now. From my perspective I would suggest that the study shows that if you have had good experience with counselling then you will be positive and vice versa. As I said predictable.

But does the survey suggest the hypothesis? Are Americans stigmatised about mental health? I do not see any support for that here.

Pete from Peterborough UK

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I encourage people to seek counseling but I also remind them that the fist person they visit might not be the one for them! My daughter had a pro for her first but the lady was controlling and it made us uncomfortable so we fired her and went to a Christian counselor who turned out to be the most helpful of all!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Millions of Americans face mental illness each year. Yet the stigma surrounding mental health and therapy persists

I didn't know that. Why would that be?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't know that. Why would that be?

Because it is viewed as a sign of weakness. As a counselor myself I have run across this attitude some. I would have been interested to see more about that attitude and if it is more pronounced in some areas than others. In the county where i work, the southern part of the county is less rural and the northern part has mountains. I've noticed that people in the northern part are less likely to respond to referral made to therapy. But, that also could be because they have further to drive.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
A counselor is just another word for an advisor or insofar as it touches on religious/spiritual matters, a pastor.
There is nothing about the title itself that makes the person who holds it:

- The right person to share your personal thoughts/experiences with
- Necessarily trustworthy
- Capable of providing insight and guidance without personal/religious biases that is best for the person they are counseling

No stigma (with assumed reason for it) needed. I found the excerpt from the article misleading and a form of logical fallacy called "begging the question" - the reason for the percentage who say "I'd never go" is left out - because it has to be - ask 100 individuals their reasons and one might find that not only are they diverse but also perfectly reasonable and rational.

No, those individuals aren't questioned specifically on why not, because apparently it's those 30 something percent represented in the article that actually keep the supposed social stigma in place.

....Which isn't identified...leaving it up to the reader to assume it, and already done in this thread.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Millions of Americans face mental illness each year. Yet the stigma surrounding mental health and therapy persists, despite the fact that Americans—especially Christians—who see a counselor have overwhelmingly positive experiences with the practice. In a new study, Barna looks at how Americans feel about and engage with counseling."

rest of the article here
https://www.barna.com/research/americans-feel-good-counseling/

I must admit I feel somewhat uneasy at the idea that "millions of Americans" face mental illness each year. I tried clicking the link and ended up with a statement to that effect and a link, but the link took me to graphics too small to read and too fuzzy to zoom in.

Personally I have never felt the need for a counselor although have known a number of people who have visited a counselor (one of whom I suggested seek a professional counselor) who have had very good experiences. My concern with some of the numbers presented is that it seems increasingly common for numbers to be boosted as if to make a point, which results in the numbers becoming harder to believe.

In the context of this report, what exactly constitutes a "mental illness"?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I must admit I feel somewhat uneasy at the idea that "millions of Americans" face mental illness each year. I tried clicking the link and ended up with a statement to that effect and a link, but the link took me to graphics too small to read and too fuzzy to zoom in.

Personally I have never felt the need for a counselor although have known a number of people who have visited a counselor (one of whom I suggested seek a professional counselor) who have had very good experiences. My concern with some of the numbers presented is that it seems increasingly common for numbers to be boosted as if to make a point, which results in the numbers becoming harder to believe.

In the context of this report, what exactly constitutes a "mental illness"?

I found this article from newsweek that estimates that 1 in 5 Americans suffer from mental illness each year
http://www.newsweek.com/nearly-1-5-americans-suffer-mental-illness-each-year-230608

Personally, I would consider it a mental illness if it is diagnosed as a mental illness by a professional and is included in the DSM 5 manual (manual we use for diagnosis and codes). But, then I also see this everyday, so I don't doubt the numbers at all.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I must admit I still find it hard to believe that 20% of people suffer like this. The article you linked described people enduring "conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia" - with little more to go on it is hard to believe that 1 in 5 people suffer from these, unless "depression" in this context includes feeling depressed as well as the kind of clinical depression that can only be treated with pharmaceuticals.

Since this is your line of work you obviously come into contact with it in a more direct sense than I do, but would you estimate that 1 in 5 of the local population is beating a line to your door?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I must admit I still find it hard to believe that 20% of people suffer like this. The article you linked described people enduring "conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia" - with little more to go on it is hard to believe that 1 in 5 people suffer from these, unless "depression" in this context includes feeling depressed as well as the kind of clinical depression that can only be treated with pharmaceuticals.

Since this is your line of work you obviously come into contact with it in a more direct sense than I do, but would you estimate that 1 in 5 of the local population is beating a line to your door?

These numbers seem consistent with what I am seeing.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

In your experience, obviously without breaking confidentiality, what are you considering to be a "mental illness"?

The reason I ask is that I've seen so much drivel presented under the "me too" campaign where women were blaming things they experienced that they didn't like on their gender when the truth could easily have been something totally unrelated (and I say that because I also know men who have experienced the exact same thing on occasion but who don't get to blame it on sexism).

Are we talking about things that would readily be considered a "mental illness" or is it simply that people these days are less able to cope with uncertainty and pressure?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In your experience, obviously without breaking confidentiality, what are you considering to be a "mental illness"?

The reason I ask is that I've seen so much drivel presented under the "me too" campaign where women were blaming things they experienced that they didn't like on their gender when the truth could easily have been something totally unrelated (and I say that because I also know men who have experienced the exact same thing on occasion but who don't get to blame it on sexism).

Are we talking about things that would readily be considered a "mental illness" or is it simply that people these days are less able to cope with uncertainty and pressure?

Our agency only works with people if they have a diagnosed mental illness, so all of the people I work with have some sort of diagnosis. To be honest, when I did open access, which is the assessment that is done to start services I had only about two or three people in those two years that I couldn't find anything to give them in terms of a diagnosis. Many of the kids we see are diagnosed with ADHD, but they may also have other problems such as Oppositional Defiant Disorder, anxiety, depression or what is now called Dyregulation Mood Disorder. I'll let you look that one up. I have found that many clinicians are reluctant to give young children a diagnosis of bipolar disorder since some question whether or not children can even have that at a young age. However, hospital don't seem to have that problem. I have worked with several children who have some type of psychosis including schizoaffective disorder bipolar type.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

double post

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our agency only works with people if they have a diagnosed mental illness, so all of the people I work with have some sort of diagnosis. To be honest, when I did open access, which is the assessment that is done to start services I had only about two or three people in those two years that I couldn't find anything to give them in terms of a diagnosis. Many of the kids we see are diagnosed with ADHD, but they may also have other problems such as Oppositional Defiant Disorder, anxiety, depression or what is now called Dyregulation Mood Disorder. I'll let you look that one up. I have found that many clinicians are reluctant to give young children a diagnosis of bipolar disorder since some question whether or not children can even have that at a young age. However, hospital don't seem to have that problem. I have worked with several children who have some type of psychosis including schizoaffective disorder bipolar type.

ADHD is something that I find very curious. I fully accept that it is a genuine condition, as I've known a couple of people who were diagnosed and medicated and I could see a huge difference in how they lived. On the other hand I've also known people who seemed to be little more than teenage boys being teenage boys with parents who insisted they were "hyper" and needed medication. The kind of things that were expected of me when I was a teenage boy have, in some parents' minds at least, become grounds for drugging their children into compliance.

Likewise Oppositional Defiant Disorder sounds like little more than children testing the boundaries. At what point is a child who has never been required to obey instructions - usually it would appear by parents who are more interested in being their child's friend than their child's parent - considered to have a diagnosable condition that can and should be medicated? The reason I ask is to get your specific insight into it, rather than much of what is online that seems like little more than propaganda from one side or the other paired with the inevitable slanging match between supporters and detractors.

Obviously my experience is limited and not a substitute for scientific research but my personal observations are that children who are never required to sit down and be quiet have trouble sitting down and being quiet, children who are never expected to obey instructions have trouble obeying instructions, children who are never taught boundaries and the consequences of crossing them have trouble with boundaries, children whose parents allow them to use baby-talk long past the time other children are starting to talk more normally have trouble talking more normally, and so on. Part of this is caused by a curiosity as to why diagnoses like ADHD have rocketed in recent years.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

ADHD is something that I find very curious. I fully accept that it is a genuine condition, as I've known a couple of people who were diagnosed and medicated and I could see a huge difference in how they lived. On the other hand I've also known people who seemed to be little more than teenage boys being teenage boys with parents who insisted they were "hyper" and needed medication. The kind of things that were expected of me when I was a teenage boy have, in some parents' minds at least, become grounds for drugging their children into compliance.

Likewise Oppositional Defiant Disorder sounds like little more than children testing the boundaries. At what point is a child who has never been required to obey instructions - usually it would appear by parents who are more interested in being their child's friend than their child's parent - considered to have a diagnosable condition that can and should be medicated? The reason I ask is to get your specific insight into it, rather than much of what is online that seems like little more than propaganda from one side or the other paired with the inevitable slanging match between supporters and detractors.

Obviously my experience is limited and not a substitute for scientific research but my personal observations are that children who are never required to sit down and be quiet have trouble sitting down and being quiet, children who are never expected to obey instructions have trouble obeying instructions, children who are never taught boundaries and the consequences of crossing them have trouble with boundaries, children whose parents allow them to use baby-talk long past the time other children are starting to talk more normally have trouble talking more normally, and so on. Part of this is caused by a curiosity as to why diagnoses like ADHD have rocketed in recent years.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

One thing you have to look at when it comes to Oppositional Defiant Disorder is how much does it disrupt the daily functioning of the person in life domains such as school, family and other social environments. Does this child's behavior occur in more than one environment? How disruptive is it? In some cases, the child is so disruptive that there is DSS or Juvenile Justice involvement because of legal charges or other issues. Of course, sometimes parental education is needed to help parents learn how to set limits and impose consequences.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

double post

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One thing you have to look at when it comes to Oppositional Defiant Disorder is how much does it disrupt the daily functioning of the person in life domains such as school, family and other social environments. Does this child's behavior occur in more than one environment? How disruptive is it? In some cases, the child is so disruptive that there is DSS or Juvenile Justice involvement because of legal charges or other issues. Of course, sometimes parental education is needed to help parents learn how to set limits and impose consequences.

These are good observations but also seem like things that could be learned. It reminds me of a fairly distant family member whose son refused to eat anything she fed him so eventually she'd take him to buy the McDonalds he wanted because, well, he had to eat something. So of course this young boy rapidly learned that if he dug his heels in long enough he'd get what he wanted. When he went to visit his uncle he learned equally fast that his uncle didn't play those games and if his options were to eat his dinner or go hungry, and if he refused to eat his dinner there was no point asking for snacks later because he wouldn't get any - his dinner would still be where he left it (and cold by then) and that was the option. Although this wasn't anything violent in any way, he learned he could defy his mother and get his own way and also learned he couldn't get away with it where his uncle was concerned.

My concern is that a learned behavior looks very much like things considered a specific mental illness, and a learned behavior would seem like something best treated by unlearning it rather than with medication.

I must admit I am also often concerned with the way counseling sometimes gets used these days. I have no problem at all if people want to see a counselor because they are struggling to process a major life event or a particularly traumatic experience. I have no problem at all if people want to see a "life coach" to help them achieve certain goals. My concern (again based on anecdotal evidence, because it's what I have to work with) is when people want help because they are struggling to cope with something in life but then find the counselor becomes little more than a prop that makes them feel better without actually addressing the underlying issues. I know a guy (I'm going to be deliberately vague in my wording here because I don't want to inadvertently say something that might identify him) who went through a very tough time in his life and went to see a counselor to help him get through it. Although the counselor obviously helped, in at least some ways the counselor has become a facility that is enfeebling rather than empowering because as time goes on he appears less and less able to cope with what are really little more than the ups and down in life. I sincerely hope he isn't going to become like a person I knew years ago who insisted counselors were good because she had been going to hers for 10 years and always felt so much better. Her counselor obviously made her feel better but if she was still needed after 10 years I would have to wonder whether she was very effective.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
These are good observations but also seem like things that could be learned. It reminds me of a fairly distant family member whose son refused to eat anything she fed him so eventually she'd take him to buy the McDonalds he wanted because, well, he had to eat something. So of course this young boy rapidly learned that if he dug his heels in long enough he'd get what he wanted. When he went to visit his uncle he learned equally fast that his uncle didn't play those games and if his options were to eat his dinner or go hungry, and if he refused to eat his dinner there was no point asking for snacks later because he wouldn't get any - his dinner would still be where he left it (and cold by then) and that was the option. Although this wasn't anything violent in any way, he learned he could defy his mother and get his own way and also learned he couldn't get away with it where his uncle was concerned.

My concern is that a learned behavior looks very much like things considered a specific mental illness, and a learned behavior would seem like something best treated by unlearning it rather than with medication.

I must admit I am also often concerned with the way counseling sometimes gets used these days. I have no problem at all if people want to see a counselor because they are struggling to process a major life event or a particularly traumatic experience. I have no problem at all if people want to see a "life coach" to help them achieve certain goals. My concern (again based on anecdotal evidence, because it's what I have to work with) is when people want help because they are struggling to cope with something in life but then find the counselor becomes little more than a prop that makes them feel better without actually addressing the underlying issues. I know a guy (I'm going to be deliberately vague in my wording here because I don't want to inadvertently say something that might identify him) who went through a very tough time in his life and went to see a counselor to help him get through it. Although the counselor obviously helped, in at least some ways the counselor has become a facility that is enfeebling rather than empowering because as time goes on he appears less and less able to cope with what are really little more than the ups and down in life. I sincerely hope he isn't going to become like a person I knew years ago who insisted counselors were good because she had been going to hers for 10 years and always felt so much better. Her counselor obviously made her feel better but if she was still needed after 10 years I would have to wonder whether she was very effective.

There comes a time if therapy does go on too long that it does exactly that, it enables instead of empowers. We always have to be careful about that and have that discussion with clients when it appears they are doing well about possibly discharging them. I've actually discharged four this month, so I feel pretty good about that. I have about 50 people on my case load right now.

Top Bottom