Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In Matthew 17:1-3 it says
"After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus."

So what was the purpose of the transfiguration?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus."

I always wanted to start this thread :)
I think it assures us that true believers in God are in his presence with him long after being deceased in THIS world

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

I believe that Moses represented the Law and Elijah the prophets and they were preparing Jesus to go to the cross to make sure all prophecy was fulfilled

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Here are the 3 passages.

Matthew 17:1-8
[1]Six days later Jesus took Peter and the two brothers, James and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone.
[2]As the men watched, Jesus’ appearance was transformed so that his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as light.
[3]Suddenly, Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus.
[4]Peter exclaimed, “Lord, it’s wonderful for us to be here! If you want, I’ll make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
[5]But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him.”
[6]The disciples were terrified and fell face down on the ground.
[7]Then Jesus came over and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.”
[8]And when they looked up, Moses and Elijah were gone, and they saw only Jesus.

*Luke 9:28-36
[28]About eight days later Jesus took Peter, John, and James up on a mountain to pray.
[29]And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white.
[30]Suddenly, two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared and began talking with Jesus.
[31]They were glorious to see. And they were speaking about his exodus from this world, which was about to be fulfilled in Jerusalem.
[32]Peter and the others had fallen asleep. When they woke up, they saw Jesus’ glory and the two men standing with him.
[33]As Moses and Elijah were starting to leave, Peter, not even knowing what he was saying, blurted out, “Master, it’s wonderful for us to be here! Let’s make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
[34]But even as he was saying this, a cloud overshadowed them, and terror gripped them as the cloud covered them.
[35]Then a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him.”
[36]When the voice finished, Jesus was there alone. They didn’t tell anyone at that time what they had seen.

*Mark 9:2-8
[2]Six days later Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone. As the men watched, Jesus’ appearance was transformed,
[3]and his clothes became dazzling white, far whiter than any earthly bleach could ever make them.
[4]Then Elijah and Moses appeared and began talking with Jesus.
[5]Peter exclaimed, “Rabbi, it’s wonderful for us to be here! Let’s make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
[6]He said this because he didn’t really know what else to say, for they were all terrified.
[7]Then a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my dearly loved Son. Listen to him.”
[8]Suddenly, when they looked around, Moses and Elijah were gone, and they saw only Jesus with them.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
One purpose I note is God wanted to make it very clear that Jesus is greater than Elijah or Moses.
Peter was seeing all three as equal and thus wanted to set up booths for each of them. God the Father would have no such nonsense. Jesus is greater than Moses and Elijah.
This must still have been a stumbling block to Jews as we have an entire letter to the Hebrews which is dedicated to showing that Jesus is greater than...

Top Bottom