• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: I am the light of the world.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.6%

I am the light of the world.

This thread is connected to what is being discussed in another thread called "You are the salt of the Earth".

Jesus spoke of himself as the light of the world - a light that gives light to all men.

Christ is the Light of nations. Because this is so, the Holy Spirit stirs up Christians to eagerly desire, by proclaiming the Gospel to every creature (see Mark 16:15), to bring the light of Christ to all people, a light that ought to be brightly visible in the way Christians live and what Christians say. Since the Christians as the body of Christ are in Christ - like a sacrament or as a sign and instrument both of a very closely knit union with God and of the unity of the whole human race - Christians ought to seek to think through and proclaim more fully to the whole world this inner nature of Christian faith and ensure that their mission in the world is more fully revealed. The present-day conditions of the world add greater urgency to this task.

Evangelism is a necessary part of the calling and witness of Christians in the world for as long as the world continues to exist as a mixture of those who follow Jesus Christ and those who - for whatever reasons - do not. Evangelism may not be the only necessary component in the calling of Christians as Jesus' followers but it is one component.

John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’
      • 13 The Pharisees challenged him, ‘Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.’
      • 14 Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.’
      • 19 Then they asked him, ‘Where is your father?’
      • ‘You do not know me or my Father,’ Jesus replied. ‘If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.5%
      If we are lights as he is it is only because we reflect Him. That implies that we are spending time with God and depending on Him. Much like the moon is just a big rock in the sky and doesn't glow by itself but is reflecting the light from the sun.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.6%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      If we are lights as he is it is only because we reflect Him. That implies that we are spending time with God and depending on Him. Much like the moon is just a big rock in the sky and doesn't glow by itself but is reflecting the light from the sun.
      Jesus said that the Spirit of God would be in Christians and that both he and his Father would come and dwell with/in faithful people. Is it possible that the light of Christ shines in the world through Christians?
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Jesus said that the Spirit of God would be in Christians and that both he and his Father would come and dwell with/in faithful people. Is it possible that the light of Christ shines in the world through Christians?
      It should and many times i think it does. We can fail to see the good because the obvious failings are all too easy to see. But, christians have also done a lot of good over the years such as starting hospital and homeless shelters, gave out food to the homeless and poor, started schools, dug wells for water and shared the Word of God.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.6%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      It should and many times i think it does. We can fail to see the good because the obvious failings are all too easy to see. But, christians have also done a lot of good over the years such as starting hospital and homeless shelters, gave out food to the homeless and poor, started schools, dug wells for water and shared the Word of God.
      The ancient Churches do all those things and have done them for more than a thousand years. Recently formed denominations may not have the resources to do those things.