Why are some Christians so consumed with their denomination?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This premise that the person closely identifies with their denomination is that the person knows what their denomination believes. I have found that the level of biblical ignorance is so profound in some people that they don't really even know what their denomination believes.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some who are so tied to their church, as they grew up in it and have many strong connections in it, have that as all they know of Christianity. If they are kind of lazy about reading the Bible and learning from it, all they would learn of being Christian is from life in that church and their connections in it. That church and its denominational teachings would be indistinguishable from all that Christianity is to them. Those of other denominational beliefs would then be suspicious to them.

Sure there are some who have no idea what their own denomination or other denominations believe. I've personally explored my own, read the bible through a few times and explored other denominations and have been brought back every time that the Lutheran position is the biblical one.

Particular

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
This premise that the person closely identifies with their denomination is that the person knows what their denomination believes. I have found that the level of biblical ignorance is so profound in some people that they don't really even know what their denomination believes.
It would be interesting to see how many church goers actually know what a denomination is.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It would be interesting to see how many church goers actually know what a denomination is.
I agree, I find it hard to feel secure in any "denomination" because they all gang up against early Christians and make them out into primitive and inferior candidates of Christianity. In studying I have found that the early Christians held the same ideas as the majority of denominations today but none were worthy enough to spring off into any bias "denomination", they kept it "real" so to speak.. Their Pre nicene identity of Trinity is beautifully written without using the word Trinity, baptism was only meant for the believing head of household, everyone had availability to the greek translation of the OT.. and no one was persecuted by a Roman Church but through Rome itslef, these folks were martyred without having theological debates among themselves... however early Church fathers circa 2nd century did become hyperactive in disagreement so it was bound to happen.

Anyway I'm currently not a "church goer" because I can't find a denomination that simplifies an original non bias Christian belief system (accord)
Denominations do a lot of chattering about other denominations but is it really necessary?
I like were I am at because I can continue to be an open minded yet well grounded Christian, I really do not like the idea of "denominations" it just makes me upset how grossly competition in theology has separated ourselves, day in and day out it's all mindless chatter of bias theological supremacy over the other.. not against you guys or anything but I'm no rope in a tug a war and it's tough for me a "Christian liberal" to side with your theologies unless only temporarily, when the topic of a certain theology runs over my limit of tolerance (seeing another's Christian faith attacked) I unfollow that debate and slam the door shut, from RCC to TULIP and everything in between and beyond I know we all believe on the Lord Christ Jesus and His atonement, whether you insists on putting in personal effort to show oneself as worthy with strict religious fervor or insist that a Sovereign God has predestined and pre ordained works for us all it really makes no difference because NONE OF THESE IDEAS ARE DAMNABLE HERESY
I'm beginning to dislike waking up to bickering, I enjoy my friends here and the online community but I've seen many of my friends at CH run off due to some dumb theological rivalry or humiliation as a lone ranger..
..it's a Christian discussion board I get it, and I guess we all fight the good fight and continue to minister which is beautiful!.. but I just don't see myself joining a church that prompts me into a fearful defense if anyone questions my denominational beliefs..

I'd wish we all had clear heads as one accord but it is what it is, I love each of your denominations with all my heart and soul in Christ Jesus but defending any certain Christian denomination by means of attacking another is just unnecessary for any Christian to diligently pursue imo, if you were Mormons or JW then I'd gladly refute you to no end but It's not in my heart to refute my brethren, no one here is wrong so I see no interest in interacting with theological debates so much.. so I'll just show myself quietly out of this thread lol

Top Bottom