• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Christian Advice Requested - Thread: Questions an atheist friend wanted to ask part 3.

meluckycharms is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.12%

Questions an atheist friend wanted to ask part 3.

"Why didn't Jesus convert one scribe, or one person who could hire a scribe, or someone who was interested in what he said but didn't convert but still had his words written down first-hand, or a "newspaper report" who would do that?"

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      9.92%
      Quote Originally Posted by meluckycharms View Post
      "Why didn't Jesus convert one scribe, or one person who could hire a scribe, or someone who was interested in what he said but didn't convert but still had his words written down first-hand, or a "newspaper report" who would do that?"

"what if" questions are disallowed in honest discussions.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

meluckycharms is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.12%
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      "what if" questions are disallowed in honest discussions.
      I believe he is really trying to ask, "why no first hand reporting or documentation?"

Stravinsk is offline Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
      Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      I believe he is really trying to ask, "why no first hand reporting or documentation?"
      If John is to be believed, that Gospel was written first hand and the many years post date is speculative. If memory serves, Matthew doesn't directly or indirectly refer to himself in that Gospel, but again if it was by him, it must have been during his life and not post dated as is commonly believed.

Mark and Luke are both Gentiles and as neither of them were among the twelve their accounts are, in my opinion anyway, more suspect. Especially Mark...16th chapter...handling snakes and drinking deadly poison without being harmed...what a disaster, lol.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,220,622 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      68.6%
      Sure, the question of why Jesus never thought to say to someone "hey, write this down, it's important". He could have had people following him around taking notes the way Kim Jong-un does.

Of course word spreads, and his commission "go into the world and preach" is a very different proposition to "hey, write some books and see if you make the New York Times bestseller list" or "write letters to tell people about what you've seen". So what do we preach? The message of Jesus is often a very personal one - what has Jesus done for me? First we need to answer the question, then we need to tell others about it.

Jesus told us that the world would know us because of our love for one another. Sadly all too often we don't show it very well, or we have a very strange way of showing it. The fact the world isn't beating a path to our door wanting some of what we have suggests that we've missed the point somewhere along the line.

If Jesus had had an army of scribes following him around, in a way that would put Kim Jong-un to shame, and every single word he ever uttered had been recorded, would it actually make any difference to those who don't want to believe? People would still make the same claims, that the Bible is full of contradictions, that Jesus was some kind of lunatic, that he was socially exclusive, that he was a way to God that's no more valid than any other way to God, and so on.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

hedrick is offline Apprentice Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      6.7%
      I'm not sure it didn't happen. Scholars believe Matthew and Luke used a common source, which is called Q. Luke says "Since many have undertaken to set down an orderly account of the events that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed on to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word."

Matthew and Luke appear to have come from very different types of church. For them both to have access to the same collection suggests that at one time it was fairly widespread.

I guess the question then becomes, why wasn't an official collection of teachings published, as the prophets did. Or if that was Q, why didn't it survive? We can only guess, but remember, his actions, and particularly the account of his death and resurrection, was considered as important as his words. Hence I'd guess that Christians found works that put his words in the context of his ministry more useful than the words alone.

(I should note that it's pretty clear that Matthew and Luke used the words from the sources somewhat freely. That was in accordance with customs of the time.)
      Last edited by hedrick; 03-04-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      9.92%

Obviously, it's IMPOSSIBLE to discuss "questions" framed in this way (which is why they are framed in this way)..... The REALITY is that the reports we have are from a generation later; the 4 Gospels probably from the 50's or 60's.

My THEORY (and I give it ZERO percent importance; MY anything is pretty irrelevant).... the Jews placed enormous importance on eye-witnesses. We find this all over the OT. In disputes, in civil matters, in everything. Jews were a skeptical people and they placed emphasis on skeptics investigating and experiencing things FIRST HAND. In the OT, the prophets OCCASIONALLY wrote down their message but only at the verge of their own deaths (and it seems, perhaps shortly AFTER that by assistants). When the prophet is still alive, HE is the source.

In this milieu, when the totality of Christianity was probably in the hundreds, I think as long as these eye-witnesses were around and most of the Apostles were still alive, the "source" of information about Jesus came from these eye-witnesses. It is only as these eye-witnesses, these Apostles, these who actually heard Jesus speak with their own two ears and saw Jesus with their own two eyes, as they begin to die off, it was only then that it was necessary to write it down. This time frame happened to correspond with the growth of Christianity (both in numbers and geography) making personal testimony of eye-witnesses difficult.

But that's just my theory...... I have nothing to prove such since I wasn't there at the time.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      56.87%
      Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsk View Post
      If John is to be believed, that Gospel was written first hand and the many years post date is speculative. If memory serves, Matthew doesn't directly or indirectly refer to himself in that Gospel, but again if it was by him, it must have been during his life and not post dated as is commonly believed.

Mark and Luke are both Gentiles and as neither of them were among the twelve their accounts are, in my opinion anyway, more suspect. Especially Mark...16th chapter...handling snakes and drinking deadly poison without being harmed...what a disaster, lol.
      Strav, you are cherry picking and making excuses for your unbelief. Remove all text that does not offend your worldview and you get the gospel according to Stravinsk, which is no gospel at all, but instead it is empty of any redeeming quality whatsoever.

Stravinsk is offline Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
      Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Strav, you are cherry picking and making excuses for your unbelief. Remove all text that does not offend your worldview and you get the gospel according to Stravinsk, which is no gospel at all, but instead it is empty of any redeeming quality whatsoever.
      ROFL! I'm not making excuses, I consider what I quoted to be a fine example of untruth penned by the hand of whoever wrote Mark, or at least the latter part of the 16th chapter which I referred to.

But, since you took it upon yourself to make the accusation, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE for any "Christian" to prove their faith by simply showing the test is true. I get to choose the snakes and poison. In addition to video cameras, for the sake of goodwill medical staff and ambulances would also be on hand.

Hey! Perhaps if this were made regular practice, we could weed out all the phonies peeps like you are always shaking their finger at? C'mon now, you willing to take the challenge? And don't go giving me that "testing God" bit - especially when it's supposed to be God who set up the standard in the first place - unless...someone is naive enough to believe they'd somehow be in a situation where drinking deadly poison and handling snakes was some sort of accident...that God saves them from to be a witness to the entire world!!!! ROFL
      Last edited by Stravinsk; 03-05-2018 at 05:55 PM.

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      56.87%
      Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsk View Post
      ROFL! I'm not making excuses, I consider what I quoted to be a fine example of untruth penned by the hand of whoever wrote Mark, or at least the latter part of the 16th chapter which I referred to.

But, since you took it upon yourself to make the accusation, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE for any "Christian" to prove their faith by simply showing the test is true. I get to choose the snakes and poison. In addition to video cameras, for the sake of goodwill medical staff and ambulances would also be on hand.

Hey! Perhaps if this were made regular practice, we could weed out all the phonies peeps like you are always shaking their finger at? C'mon now, you willing to take the challenge? And don't go giving me that "testing God" bit - especially when it's supposed to be God who set up the test in the first place.
      Not sure what test you are referring to. I'm referring to your technique of cherry picking what you like in the Bible and what you don't like.
      An atheist who is willing to investigate without bias or ignoring text because it doesn't fit their worldview is hard to find. Instead, they do what you do. They pick and choose only what they can accept as reasonable within their narrow box. This is why I started the thread asking how atheists and deists differ when it comes to any practical daily matters. I don't see what you do as any different to what an atheist does. Cherry pick and fit your preconceived worldview.