Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Jesus tempted in the wilderness
(Lk 4:1; Mk 1:12) 4 • 1 Then the Spirit led Jesus into the desert, that he might be put to the test by the devil. 2 After Jesus fasted forty days and nights he was famished. 3 Then the tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, order these stones to turn into bread.” 4 But Jesus answered, “Scripture says: One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” 5 Then the devil took Jesus to the Holy City, set him on the highest wall of the temple, and said to him, 6 “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for scripture says: God has given orders to his angels concerning you. Their hands will hold you up, lest you hurt your foot against a stone.” 7 Jesus answered, “But scripture also says: You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.” 8 Then the devil took Jesus to a very high mountain, and showed him all the nations of the world in all their greatness and splendour. And he said, 9 “All this I will give you, if you kneel down and worship me.” 10 Then Jesus answered, “Be off, Satan! Scripture says: Worship the Lord your God and serve him alone!” 11 Then the devil left him; and angels came to serve him.​

Tempted in three things, misuse of gifts, tempting God, engagement in false worship Jesus resists where ancient Israel failed and where Christians as the church fail too. Give it some thought and see if you agree.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm weak. I would have gone for the bread :(

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting to note that God the Father ordained this temptation via God the Spirit.
In the scriptures it mentions that Jesus was tempted like all humans. This leads me to wonder how these three temptations are manifest in our own lives. What is the common response of Jesus in each temptation and how does that response guide my own response to temptation?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The same response we should have. You notice He never rebuked satan but quoted the Word to him and that defeated him

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It makes me wonder what the likelihood is that Jesus would really have given in to these temptations being that he is the Son of God?

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It makes me wonder what the likelihood is that Jesus would really have given in to these temptations being that he is the Son of God?
My grandfather visited his doctor and the old, family doctor told him bluntly ... "Quit smoking and retire to reduce your stress. If you don't, there is no point coming back to see me, you should just plan on where and how you want to be buried." My grandfather did immediately quit smoking and retired from his job as Chief Production Chemist for Union Carbide. He was unwilling to leave his family, so he quit smoking after more than forty years. I imagine that however strong his reason for quitting that got him through, the temptation (physical and psychological) still had to be a very real struggle for him.

I do not think that God Incarnate was capable of sinning, because that was contrary to his core nature, but I do not think that that diminished the temptation that he felt.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My grandfather visited his doctor and the old, family doctor told him bluntly ... "Quit smoking and retire to reduce your stress. If you don't, there is no point coming back to see me, you should just plan on where and how you want to be buried." My grandfather did immediately quit smoking and retired from his job as Chief Production Chemist for Union Carbide. He was unwilling to leave his family, so he quit smoking after more than forty years. I imagine that however strong his reason for quitting that got him through, the temptation (physical and psychological) still had to be a very real struggle for him.

I do not think that God Incarnate was capable of sinning, because that was contrary to his core nature, but I do not think that that diminished the temptation that he felt.

I wonder what "tempted as we are yet without sin" means for the feelings Jesus experienced with respect to temptation. It is noticeable that living a life where exposure to enticements to do or think wickedly [is minimised] can reduce the depth and frequency of temptation felt. That is not to say that withdrawing from enticements will lead to sinless perfection but it is a thought to consider - was Jesus avoiding enticements to wickedness in his way of life?

Last edited:
Top Bottom