Yes

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
There is not a whole lot of preachers I would consider great teachers. For example, I would toss out all of jsimms choices as semi-pelagian/Arminian preachers who have a man-centered teaching style.
The only two I can think of off the top are Alistair Begg and John Piper. Both are Godward when they teach. I like listening to Michael Horton, but he's not really a preacher. An excellent female teacher is Nancy Guthrie. She would put most preachers to shame with her knowledge and God gifted ability to teach. She doesn't believe women should be pastor's, however, so I guess she can't be on this list.
Like Josiah, my pastor is gifted as a preacher.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
For the most part I like Andy Stanley's message but he is so dreadfully repetitive. I've seen a number of videos of him speaking and on almost every occasion I've ended up with the impression that I spent 20-30 minutes of my life listening to a message that could have been condensed into 5 minutes without losing anything useful.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
For the most part I like Andy Stanley's message but he is so dreadfully repetitive. I've seen a number of videos of him speaking and on almost every occasion I've ended up with the impression that I spent 20-30 minutes of my life listening to a message that could have been condensed into 5 minutes without losing anything useful.

maybe he's repetitive because he knows how forgetful we all are?

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My father in law and my pastor. I don't listen to others online.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I like to listen to my current pastor as well as previous ones from my other churches I used to attend. Online I like to listen to Pastor Jonathan Fisk who has a lot of YouTube videos that give wonderful scriptural explanation about theology.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm glad my church uploads the sermons on their wed site. I tend to get more out of them when I listen to them again later with less distractions.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I like to listen to my current pastor as well as previous ones from my other churches I used to attend. Online I like to listen to Pastor Jonathan Fisk who has a lot of YouTube videos that give wonderful scriptural explanation about theology.

I'll have to check him out on youtube

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course I think Pr Fisk's theology is great but I like to recommend him to my kids because he keeps it light and entertaining which means they'll be more likely to listen to the whole video.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course I think Pr Fisk's theology is great but I like to recommend him to my kids because he keeps it light and entertaining which means they'll be more likely to listen to the whole video.

He makes theology fun!! I love how much scripture he adds in his videos instead of them just being his opinion or trying to give a coaching session on how to live life.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
maybe he's repetitive because he knows how forgetful we all are?

The trouble is that he's so endlessly repetitive that by the end of one of his numerous cycles of saying the same phrase in 143 slightly different ways he's lost the point he was trying to make in the first place.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The trouble is that he's so endlessly repetitive that by the end of one of his numerous cycles of saying the same phrase in 143 slightly different ways he's lost the point he was trying to make in the first place.

I've heard four of his messages so far and read one of his books, so I guess i hadn't heard him enough to see that yet.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've heard four of his messages so far and read one of his books, so I guess i hadn't heard him enough to see that yet.

I've seen a few of his messages. At first I thought his teaching was mostly good but he seemed to take a long time to not say very much. As I watched more of his messages I found his endless repetition became more and more tedious. Now I'm at the point where if my Bible study group wants to get another one of his DVDs I'd use whatever influence I could muster to veto it.

I don't know if you get the kind of marketing emails that offers you some form of trading advice or similar, that spends endless time chattering about "Look, you can't guarantee anything in this game" paired with endless examples of good calls that whatever superstar tipster behind the whole thing has made, and all the while you're just wanting to cut to the chase and find out how much it's going to cost to sign up. Then you find that somewhere after about 10 pages of waffle they say "it's normally $8,500 for a year but if you sign up right now you can have two years for ONLY $4,500", and at that point you just hit the X because even if you were curious before you're not curious enough to drop nearly five grand on it. That's how Andy Stanley's messages make me feel these days.

Top Bottom