CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      16.28%
      Post #9, me:
      Would it be bold of me to suggest that if any particular set of beliefs does not recognise the compatibility of the Old Testament, Jesus’ Gospel, and the original Apostolic Gospel (i.e. if that belief set cannot stand up to the scrutiny of all three), then that set of beliefs needs a degree of scrutiny?
      Post #10, MoreCoffee:
      It's always bold to suggest a norm for around two billion professing Christians.
      MoreCoffee has identified the problem clearly.

The “exploits” of “theologians” have muddied the water to such an extent, that the original Apostolic Gospel – the Gospel that ties in seamlessly with what we call the “Old Testament” – has been well and truly obscured.

Therefore, the “Old Testament” can be an invaluable aid in throwing light on, and classifying as true or false, individual beliefs (doctrines) that are cherished within the broad domain of Christendom.

================================================== ============================================

But suggesting that that course of action should actually be undertaken, could itself be deemed bold.

No matter how effective it would be. (Or perhaps because that effectiveness is recognised and seen as dangerous.)
      Seeking to understand with precision, God's holy and coherent revelation to us.

jsimms435 is online now Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      47.57%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Jews of our era read the old testament as their bible because they reject the new testament and Muslims of our era read the old testament and new testament as corrupted revelation from God that Jews first and then Christians changed and corrupted to take away the true message of God which Muslims think is in the Quran. But Christians read the old testament as revelation from God given in types and shadows that is only properly understood when read through the knowledge given by Jesus Christ because he is the one that the types and shadows typify and foreshadow. So when you read the old testament what do you make of it? Is your perspective Jewish, Muslim, or Christian and if so then how ought you to use old testament passages when you quote them as proof of some doctrine that you think they support?
      I think it is important to read the passage in its context and remember who the writer was writing to. Some verses in the Old Testament i have heard people apply to themselves when it was not written for everyone It is an example perhaps of God's faithfulness or his character, but the actual promise isn't appropriate to apply to self. Since we understand that truth is consistent with other scriptures you also have to interpret the verse your looking at in light of the what the rest of scripture says

MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.44%
      The most misapplied verse...
      "I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you..."
      If people read it in context they would realize that God was telling them they were going to be exiled and spewed out of the land.
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      I think it is important to read the passage in its context and remember who the writer was writing to. Some verses in the Old Testament i have heard people apply to themselves when it was not written for everyone It is an example perhaps of God's faithfulness or his character, but the actual promise isn't appropriate to apply to self. Since we understand that truth is consistent with other scriptures you also have to interpret the verse your looking at in light of the what the rest of scripture says