Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Frankly, Billy Graham was a factor in older generations than mine.... I've read about him, I've seen a couple of his sermons on YouTube.... but he was a factor mostly in the 40's-80's I think.

I may have my theological disagreements, I may wonder about this Baptist clear interjection of Church and State, but I totally respect that he was one of the FEW pastors who became a beloved, respected national (international!) figure and spokesman. The only Protestant to even approach the influence of Catholic popes. Even non-Christians respected and honored him. And when he spoke on talk shows and the like, people of all types listened. He had that kind of respect. I kind of wonder if the HUGE crowds he gained were there not so much for his sermons but for him.

We live in a more secular, more 'post-Christian' world now than when he was so influential. We desperately could use a Billy Graham for our time, but I see none (in any denomination). For a brief while, I think Rick Warren MIGHT have evolved into this but that never happened.

I rejoice that Billy is in heaven, being welcomed by all who learned the Gospel from him....

- Josiah

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
A truly great man of God who will be sorely missed

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Truly a great man. I recall always watching his "crusades" on TV with my family growing up. A very powerful preacher and man of God. A biblical Saint in every way.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
His autobiography is an amazing thing to read. He was influential in numerous lives including many Presidents.

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I always appreciated that he preached the cross for the answer to mankind’s ailments. RIP

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
He definitely fulfilled the great commission, and was a very influential witness ... all the way from me, to presidents, and to many nations. I am sure today he received a crown with many jewels, and was warmly embraced by the Christ for whom he witnessed.

I had the pleasure of attending two of his crusades in the 1970's.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The news called him the Protestant Pope.

Even though I disagreed with some of what he preached I did see he had great love for his neighbor.

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Prayers for his family.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Billy Graham was a war supporter (Vietnam) who stood against peace and anti-war activists and who even made a suggestion on how to kill more Vietnamese.

When he discovered "politics" (specifically war) divided his following he stepped away when he could have been a strong voice as a peacemaker. Apparently popularity and the praise of men was more important than actually taking a moral position.

His being a "spiritual advisor" to Presidents neither impresses me. Many of those presidents were corrupt liars who ordered the death, suffering and/or torture of many peoples around the world.

Billy Graham was a Statist, true and through. A supporter and preacher of Romans 13, peppering it with quotes on love and concern for the world so as to seed the thought that what the military murder machine was doing in Vietnam was actually for virtue rather than for profit and power(like almost all wars are sold). A sadistic murder machine wrapped in a Jesus coating for the American masses. And don't bloody question it, because Romans 13, so saith the "spiritual advisor" to the nation.

“Every Christian,” he wrote, “ought to obey the civil authorities, for all legitimate authority is derived from God’s authority, and the existing authority is appointed under God. To oppose authority then,” said Paul, “is to oppose God, and such opposition is bound to be punished” (Romans 13:1-2, Phillips).

Certainly the church is to be concerned about the social injustices in our world. Even a casual study of the life of Jesus reveals that He was interested in man’s response to the social problems he faced.
The Great Change

Since Jesus Christ walked the earth, the thinking of the world concerning social matters has changed radically. Because of Him, the world has witnessed a new reverence for human life and learned something of the dignity and worth of man.

Taken from a speech in 1967 during the height of the unrest surrounding the Vietnam war, and on his website: https://billygraham.org/story/billy-graham-on-social-injustice/

But I'm sure it would have been inspiring to hear for any man, woman or child suffering the excruciating pain of Napalm sticking to their skin or having their children deformed by agent Orange.

It is not a surprise to me that the State props him up and crowns him with a title like "America's pastor".

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Billy Graham was a war supporter (Vietnam) who stood against peace and anti-war activists and who even made a suggestion on how to kill more Vietnamese.

When he discovered "politics" (specifically war) divided his following he stepped away when he could have been a strong voice as a peacemaker. Apparently popularity and the praise of men was more important than actually taking a moral position.

His being a "spiritual advisor" to Presidents neither impresses me. Many of those presidents were corrupt liars who ordered the death, suffering and/or torture of many peoples around the world.

Billy Graham was a Statist, true and through. A supporter and preacher of Romans 13, peppering it with quotes on love and concern for the world so as to seed the thought that what the military murder machine was doing in Vietnam was actually for virtue rather than for profit and power(like almost all wars are sold). A sadistic murder machine wrapped in a Jesus coating for the American masses. And don't bloody question it, because Romans 13, so saith the "spiritual advisor" to the nation.

Taken from a speech in 1967 during the height of the unrest surrounding the Vietnam war, and on his website: https://billygraham.org/story/billy-graham-on-social-injustice/

But I'm sure it would have been inspiring to hear for any man, woman or child suffering the excruciating pain of Napalm sticking to their skin or having their children deformed by agent Orange.

It is not a surprise to me that the State props him up and crowns him with a title like "America's pastor".

Dr. Graham has his warts.....

Early on, he was rather clearly a racist (hey, he was a southerner back when racism was a part of that culture) - he CLEARLY and publicly repented of that and put it entirely behind him.
He associated FAR too much with politicians (attempting to be the nations pastor) - especially Nixon - and he CLEARLY and publicly repented of that, saying he had allowed himself to be far too political.
Yes, I knew he was a supporter of the Vietnam war (as many were) - I don't know if he later changed his opinion there.

Like all pastors (and well, all people) he was a sinner. But he also was a man of integrity who recognized his faults and repented of them in faith - to which I give him credit. But unlike many (most?) who suddenly find themselves in positions of influence, he always lifted high the Cross and not himself. He lived a fairly humble life and his ministry organization entirely void of any controversies or shame (and I'm SURE the liberal pressed looked and looked and looked for something they could use against him). He was not perfect, but he was a man of character and a minister of faithfulness.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Good post Josiah, a great man has passed away

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation