Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Baptism appears to be a perennial interest on discussion boards where Protestants mix so I thought that a word from the Catholic Church might be of interest even if only because many Protestants will object to what Catholics teach on baptism. So Here is what the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says on baptism

THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
252. What names are given to the first sacrament of initiation?
This sacrament is primarily called Baptism because of the central rite with which it is celebrated. To baptise means to “immerse” in water. The one who is baptised is immersed into the death of Christ and rises with him as a “new creature” (2 Corinthians 5:17). This sacrament is also called the “bath of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5); and it is called “enlightenment” because the baptised becomes “a son of light” (Ephesians 5:8).
253. How is Baptism prefigured in the Old Covenant?
In the Old Covenant Baptism was prefigured in various ways: water, seen as source of life and of death; in the Ark of Noah, which saved by means of water; in the passing through the Red Sea, which liberated Israel from Egyptian slavery; in the crossing of the Jordan River, that brought Israel into the promised land which is the image of eternal life.
254. Who brought to fulfilment those prefigurations?
All the Old Covenant prefigurations find their fulfilment in Jesus Christ. At the beginning of his public life Jesus had himself baptised by John the Baptist in the Jordan. On the cross, blood and water, signs of Baptism and the Eucharist, flowed from his pierced side. After his Resurrection he gave to his apostles this mission: “Go forth and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew28:19).
255. Starting when and to whom has the Church administered Baptism?
From the day of Pentecost, the Church has administered Baptism to anyone who believes in Jesus Christ.
256. In what does the essential rite of Baptism consist?
The essential rite of this sacrament consists in immersing the candidate in water or pouring water over his or her head while invoking the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
257. Who can receive Baptism?
Every person not yet baptised is able to receive Baptism.
258. Why does the Church baptise infants?
The Church baptises infants because they are born with original sin. They need to be freed from the power of the Evil One and brought into that realm of freedom which belongs to the children of God.
259. What is required of one who is to be baptised?
Everyone who is to be baptised is required to make a profession of faith. This is done personally in the case of an adult or by the parents and by the Church in the case of infants. Also the godfather or the godmother and the whole ecclesial community share the responsibility for baptismal preparation (catechumenate) as well as for the development and safeguarding of the faith and grace given at baptism.
260. Who can baptise?
The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and the priest. In the Latin Church the deacon also can baptise. In case of necessity any person can baptise provided he has the intention of doing what the Church does. This is done by pouring water on the head of the candidate while saying the Trinitarian formula for Baptism: “I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”.
261. Is Baptism necessary for salvation?
Baptism is necessary for salvation for all those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament.
262. Is it possible to be saved without Baptism?
Since Christ died for the salvation of all, those can be saved without Baptism who die for the faith (Baptism of blood). Catechumens and all those who, even without knowing Christ and the Church, still (under the impulse of grace) sincerely seek God and strive to do his will can also be saved without Baptism (Baptism of desire). The Church in her liturgy entrusts children who die without Baptism to the mercy of God.
263. What are the effects of Baptism?
Baptism takes away original sin, all personal sins and all punishment due to sin. It makes the baptised person a participant in the divine life of the Trinity through sanctifying grace, the grace of justification which incorporates one into Christ and into his Church. It gives one a share in the priesthood of Christ and provides the basis for communion with all Christians. It bestows the theological virtues and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. A baptised person belongs forever to Christ. He is marked with the indelible seal of Christ (character).
264. What is the meaning of the Christian name received at Baptism?
The name is important because God knows each of us by name, that is, in our uniqueness as persons. In Baptism a Christian receives his or her own name in the Church. It should preferably be the name of a saint who might offer the baptised a model of sanctity and an assurance of his or her intercession before God.​

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing this, MC. It is an amazing heresy mixed within some truth. Best wishes with that.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Baptism appears to be a perennial interest on discussion boards where Protestants mix so I thought that a word from the Catholic Church might be of interest even if only because many Protestants will object to what Catholics teach on baptism. So Here is what the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says on baptism

THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
252. What names are given to the first sacrament of initiation?
This sacrament is primarily called Baptism because of the central rite with which it is celebrated. To baptise means to “immerse” in water. The one who is baptised is immersed into the death of Christ and rises with him as a “new creature” (2 Corinthians 5:17). This sacrament is also called the “bath of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5); and it is called “enlightenment” because the baptised becomes “a son of light” (Ephesians 5:8).
253. How is Baptism prefigured in the Old Covenant?
In the Old Covenant Baptism was prefigured in various ways: water, seen as source of life and of death; in the Ark of Noah, which saved by means of water; in the passing through the Red Sea, which liberated Israel from Egyptian slavery; in the crossing of the Jordan River, that brought Israel into the promised land which is the image of eternal life.
254. Who brought to fulfilment those prefigurations?
All the Old Covenant prefigurations find their fulfilment in Jesus Christ. At the beginning of his public life Jesus had himself baptised by John the Baptist in the Jordan. On the cross, blood and water, signs of Baptism and the Eucharist, flowed from his pierced side. After his Resurrection he gave to his apostles this mission: “Go forth and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew28:19).
255. Starting when and to whom has the Church administered Baptism?
From the day of Pentecost, the Church has administered Baptism to anyone who believes in Jesus Christ.
256. In what does the essential rite of Baptism consist?
The essential rite of this sacrament consists in immersing the candidate in water or pouring water over his or her head while invoking the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
257. Who can receive Baptism?
Every person not yet baptised is able to receive Baptism.
258. Why does the Church baptise infants?
The Church baptises infants because they are born with original sin. They need to be freed from the power of the Evil One and brought into that realm of freedom which belongs to the children of God.
Everyone who is to be baptised is required to make a profession of faith. This is done personally in the case of an adult or by the parents and by the Church in the case of infants. Also the godfather or the godmother and the whole ecclesial community share the responsibility for baptismal preparation (catechumenate) as well as for the development and safeguarding of the faith and grace given at baptism.
260. Who can baptise?
The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and the priest. In the Latin Church the deacon also can baptise. In case of necessity any person can baptise provided he has the intention of doing what the Church does. This is done by pouring water on the head of the candidate while saying the Trinitarian formula for Baptism: “I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”.
261. Is Baptism necessary for salvation?
Baptism is necessary for salvation for all those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament.
262. Is it possible to be saved without Baptism?
Since Christ died for the salvation of all, those can be saved without Baptism who die for the faith (Baptism of blood). Catechumens and all those who, even without knowing Christ and the Church, still (under the impulse of grace) sincerely seek God and strive to do his will can also be saved without Baptism (Baptism of desire). The Church in her liturgy entrusts children who die without Baptism to the mercy of God.
263. What are the effects of Baptism?
Baptism takes away original sin, all personal sins and all punishment due to sin. It makes the baptised person a participant in the divine life of the Trinity through sanctifying grace, the grace of justification which incorporates one into Christ and into his Church. It gives one a share in the priesthood of Christ and provides the basis for communion with all Christians. It bestows the theological virtues and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. A baptised person belongs forever to Christ. He is marked with the indelible seal of Christ (character).
264. What is the meaning of the Christian name received at Baptism?
The name is important because God knows each of us by name, that is, in our uniqueness as persons. In Baptism a Christian receives his or her own name in the Church. It should preferably be the name of a saint who might offer the baptised a model of sanctity and an assurance of his or her intercession before God.​

Some of this I'd word a bit differently, and I think there are a few things that I'd place into "opinion" but I'm essentally in agreement.

#259 bothers me..... The idea of sponsors, etc. is a CUSTOM that I think is good, but framing this as a "REQUIREMENT" bothers me. If a child was involved in a car accident and is quickly dying, the RCC saying that someone must testify FOR them to have a valid baptism is a point I'd disagree with; I see that nowhere in Scripture. It's a good custom, however, because (among other things in the traditional ceremony) it stresses that Baptism is not an isolated event but comes in the CONTEXT of faith, repentance, testimony, teaching, etc.... and normally is a part of the life of the church. I'd say it's a good custom but not a specific REQUIREMENT. Perhaps this is just another example of where I think things could be worded better.... and where I think the CCC makes a lot of dogmatic statements that perhaps it should not.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Some of this I'd word a bit differently, and I think there are a few things that I'd place into "opinion" but I'm essentally in agreement.

#259 bothers me..... The idea of sponsors, etc. is a CUSTOM that I think is good, but framing this as a "REQUIREMENT" bothers me. If a child was involved in a car accident and is quickly dying, the RCC saying that someone must testify FOR them to have a valid baptism is a point I'd disagree with; I see that nowhere in Scripture. It's a good custom, however, because (among other things in the traditional ceremony) it stresses that Baptism is not an isolated event but comes in the CONTEXT of faith, repentance, testimony, teaching, etc.... and normally is a part of the life of the church. I'd say it's a good custom but not a specific REQUIREMENT. Perhaps this is just another example of where I think things could be worded better.... and where I think the CCC makes a lot of dogmatic statements that perhaps it should not.

Having God parents is not presented as a requirement, what is presented as a requirement is that if one has God parents then they are duty bound to support the catechuminate (The period of instruction prior to baptism) and the Catholic Church does not say that somebody must testify for them to have a valid baptism. That is simply not said in the quote I gave. I have no idea why you think it is part of the teaching of the Catholic Church.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MC,

What I was responding to is the REQUIREMENT of a profession of faith at the baptism. Great custom (one Lutherans follow) but a REQUIREMENT? Not a valid baptism otherwise?

I often find that the 2,865 points of the 1994 Official RC Catechism at times just goes too far in these dogmatic statements.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
MC,

What I was responding to is the REQUIREMENT of a profession of faith at the baptism. Great custom (one Lutherans follow) but a REQUIREMENT? Not a valid baptism otherwise?

I often find that the 2,865 points of the 1994 Official RC Catechism at times just goes too far in these dogmatic statements.

You were addressing the custom of sponsors and godparents in your first post as the requirement. Did you mean to say a "profession of faith" and said the wrong thing? I was a bit confused, too. Imo, a profession of faith as a requirement is in keeping with what we find in scripture.
"Just my half cent" to coin a phrase ;)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MoreCoffee was correct that a baptism performed without any sponsors, witnesses, or godparents is still valid. The church prefers to have them. And they do profess faith their own faith and also promise to raise the child in the faith.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You were addressing the custom of sponsors and godparents in your first post as the requirement. Did you mean to say a "profession of faith" and said the wrong thing? I was a bit confused, too. Imo, a profession of faith as a requirement is in keeping with what we find in scripture.
"Just my half cent" to coin a phrase ;)

That half cent is good, I'll accept it. :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
What I was responding to is the REQUIREMENT of a profession of faith at the baptism. Great custom (one Lutherans follow) but a REQUIREMENT? Not a valid baptism otherwise.

I was a bit confused, too. Imo, a profession of faith as a requirement is in keeping with what we find in scripture.

As I stated, I'm in ESSENTIAL agreement with the basic points of all these many statements about Baptism..... Some I'd word better, more I'd just leave unstated (I at times feel the CCC just goes too far, says too much).

Evidently, we are in disagreement. I do not find anywhere in Scripture where it is a stated, divine MANDATE that a "Confession of Faith" be made at the baptism ceremony (either by the receiver or some adult on their behalf). I like the CUSTOM but I don't agree that the Bible states this is a MANDATE for a valid baptism. I raised the issue of some little one involved in a very serious car accident and is dying..... I think the child MAY be baptized and that that baptism would be valid even if the child didn't say the Apostles' Creed or even her parents didn't for her. But CCC 259 makes it a REQUIREMENT and thus the baptism would be invalid. I disagree with that (and perhaps with you). IMO, when possible, this is an excellent CUSTOM and is to be encouraged. But I don't agree that the baptism would be invalid without it. As I carefully studied the 800 pages of the 1994 edition of the CCC, all 2,865 points, I at times found things like this where I felt the CCC went way beyond Scripture and Tradition and makes dogmatic statements that are unsubstantiated and just go too far.

But again, I'm in essential agreement with the current RCC on the topic of Baptism..... and I largely embrace the ancient (and IMO excellent) customs largely also employed by the RCC. CCC 259 is just one of the 2,865 that I think goes too far and I find myself in disagreement.

Top Bottom