... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ue-apron-type-program/?utm_term=.5cdccf3a3310

Basically, Trump has decided to revamp the food stamp program so that we receive a box of canned goods instead of being able to shop for our own food. That means no fresh fruits and vegetables, no eggs, no cheese, no chicken on sale... Just processed foods with extra sugar and salt and chemicals.

The trouble with food stamps is the number of people who pile a shopping cart high with bottles of sugar-laden fizzy drinks, bags of fatty snacks and other general junk food, then pay their $100-odd bill for it all with their food stamps. I have yet to see someone with their own body weight in junk food loaded into a shopping cart pay with anything other than food stamps.

The people who buy $10 worth of healthy food with their food stamps tend to blend in with everyone else so it's less visible what is happening.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The trouble with food stamps is the number of people who pile a shopping cart high with bottles of sugar-laden fizzy drinks, bags of fatty snacks and other general junk food, then pay their $100-odd bill for it all with their food stamps. I have yet to see someone with their own body weight in junk food loaded into a shopping cart pay with anything other than food stamps.

The people who buy $10 worth of healthy food with their food stamps tend to blend in with everyone else so it's less visible what is happening.
However they are needed by pretty much everyione who gets them. I seriiously doubt that the majority of people on food stamps are doing what you say.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This topic, in discussions both here and elsewhere, seems to be fueled by people alarmed about the possibility of something happening that they don't really know will happen under the proposal. But they expect the worst. It might be a good idea to wait for complete information before taking to the keyboard with a statement like "Trump assaults...."

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Last edited:

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I will be honest and say my husband and I are on food stamps. It IS hard to buy healthy food as they cost A LOT. I mean we don't buy junk food very offend and we don't get much in food stamps as our rent is low and they think since its low we can pay for food and other things.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
However they are needed by pretty much everyione who gets them. I seriiously doubt that the majority of people on food stamps are doing what you say.

It's hard to say, but I think it is safe to say that someone who spends $100+ on a cart full of junk food probably doesn't need that pile of junk in their body.

I strongly suspect that it's the flagrant abuse that gets the bad press while the silent majority go unnoticed (probably because they don't want the attention). A friend of mine is on the borderline of being eligible for food stamps and he doesn't want to claim them because of his pride, although in the meantime the ones who figured out how to game the system stock up on junk courtesy of the taxpayer.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ue-apron-type-program/?utm_term=.5cdccf3a3310

Basically, Trump has decided to revamp the food stamp program so that we receive a box of canned goods instead of being able to shop for our own food. That means no fresh fruits and vegetables, no eggs, no cheese, no chicken on sale... Just processed foods with extra sugar and salt and chemicals.

Even if this were to happen, there are still some things you can do to provide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pal3xbx09M4

I have six of these growing on a small west facing window sill. :)

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Some of the problem (and Mr. Trump's idea is totally off base) is that, while there are those that are responsible with what they use, there are a visible majority who aren't. Michigan, for example (my home state before my move) decided income levels based on "disposable income" - cash on hand. And the amount of money placed on a "bridge card" (i.e. food stamp card) was determined by that. Anyone eligible, based on their household disposable income, could have a card. Household may have included husband, wife, kids, etc. It did not include the grandmother, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephews, etc. who all might be under the same roof, who also had bridge cards.
"Disposable income" also did not include the 2015 Cadillac Escalade and second car (say an '06 Lincoln) parked out back. So the reason some folks could be seen with the carts stuffed with groceries was that everyone together stocked up using their collective bridge cards to buy food knowingly bad for them. And we're talking in neighborhoods that had adequate fruits, veggies, meats, etc. And remember this is during the time of radical change to the FDA and Department of Health under Obama. During a time of extreme advocacy for "health" by the White House.
So, while misguided, I can understand the current proposal as a desire for something different. And I'd also suggest reading up on what he's really proposing. , From what I understand, it's meant to be supplemental, not a slashing of all benefits.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some of the problem (and Mr. Trump's idea is totally off base)...And I'd also suggest reading up on what he's really proposing. From what I understand, it's meant to be supplemental, not a slashing of all benefits. .
Say what? How can it be totally off base if what it is remains to be seen?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Anything that tells me I cant shop for the best buys locally and choose what my family eats is off base as far as I am concerned. I think that the example of people buying chips and so on is ok in moderation and I daresay that most people are responsible without big brother telling them what they can eat.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Anything that tells me I cant shop for the best buys locally and choose what my family eats is off base as far as I am concerned. I think that the example of people buying chips and so on is ok in moderation and I daresay that most people are responsible without big brother telling them what they can eat.
In this case, Big Brother isn't telling anyone what they can eat. No one is forced to participate in the food stamp program. Anyway, it appears that there is still plenty of room for recipients to make their own food selections, just that the President's proposal would institute some economies by having the government negotiate purchases of the staples.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

What I meant was that plan is misguided, but not the intent.

So, while misguided, I can understand the current proposal as a desire for something different.

So the idea of a supplemental plan along with a stipend may not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Because it's Donald Trump. I thought everybody knew that everything he ever says or does is wrong in some way. No need to look at the details, just assume he's wrong.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

People buying a bag of chips along with their regular shopping isn't the issue. People with a cart loaded with $100+ worth of chips and soda, and precious little else, are the problem.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Because it's Donald Trump. I thought everybody knew that everything he ever says or does is wrong in some way. No need to look at the details, just assume he's wrong.

That is America's favorite pastime these days. I cannot deny it. However, I didn't know if it was the poster's own thinking.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
People buying a bag of chips along with their regular shopping isn't the issue. People with a cart loaded with $100+ worth of chips and soda, and precious little else, are the problem.
You know what, I live in an area where food stamps are common and I have yet to see that

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I haven't heard much else about this in the news this week. Is this still something being considered or was it just heresay that someone leaked to the press to cause a stir?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You know what, I live in an area where food stamps are common and I have yet to see that

Maybe you haven't seen it but I've seen it a few times. A cart piled high with junk food, a bill running north of $100, and then the magic food stamps card makes most of the bill go away meaning the shopper ends up paying a handful of pocket change for enough calories to maintain an army for six months with a nutritional value that's barely perceptible.

As I mentioned further up it's hard to know what proportion of recipients of food stamps are the "flagrant abuse" type and what proportion are the ones who buy $10 worth of food that's worthy of the name and therefore don't draw the attention. The sad part with much of welfare reform is that it tends to hurt the people who truly need it while doing little or nothing to rein in the ones who clearly don't need it.

Top Bottom