Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I know there are one or two members here who brew their own beer. Here's a thread to discuss or give tips.

My husband got a beer brewing kit for Christmas so we gave it a shot. We are sanitizing the bottles today and will bottle it tomorrow and then they'll sit for 2 weeks.

What worked for you? What didn't? How much do you brew at a time (we're starting with 1 gallon). What are your favorite recipes to follow?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I completely forgot about that!! So long ago!

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I bought a Mr. Beer kit and forgot about it for 6 or so years, and then I found it and tried it out... It was so gross lol

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I bought a Mr. Beer kit and forgot about it for 6 or so years, and then I found it and tried it out... It was so gross lol

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The yeast, hops and malt from your kit were old and that probably ruined it. Yeast has an expiration date and I'm not sure what it is but I think you want to use it within a year of purchase.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
The yeast, hops and malt from your kit were old and that probably ruined it. Yeast has an expiration date and I'm not sure what it is but I think you want to use it within a year of purchase.

Any of those could be it but if anything went off it was probably the malt. I keep unused packets of yeast in the fridge and I've used them years after purchasing them.

It's pretty easy to get an infected beer also. All that needs to be done is add the yeast too late (or not at the right temp so it's not active and bacteria takes over), have an unclean fermenter, or a leak. Off beer smells really bad.

Then again, even if it was made perfect with the proper sugars new beer is "green beer", it gets better with age.

Top Bottom